Is Drinking Alcohol Ever Any Good For Your Health?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by james bond, Sep 4, 2019.

1. AzogtheDefiler

AzogtheDefiler The Pale Orc Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,636
    Wow! Sad story. I was only mocking right winger in jest. Didn't mean for it getting personal at all. My apologies, mam.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. beautress

beautress Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,367
    Bless your parents for caring for them, rwer. Back then stats were few and far between to assist foster parents of kids whose parents were alcoholics. I can imagine the pain your parents went through watching this repetition of history, when people didn't know how great the risk is to children of one or both parents alcoholism.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. james bond

james bond Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,852
    Do you mean drinking too much alcohol could lead to alcoholism which is a disease? One can beat alcoholism as a disaese, but it is not easy. One has to quit alcohol entirely. Or is that a myth that one drink undoes everything they have worked towards? One drink and they are back to being alcoholic again destroying lives and their families.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,367
    Forgotten. :thup:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. james bond

james bond Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,852
    Yep. Being drunk in public is the easiest thing for a cop to take you in on. It's not like they have to arrest and book someone for a charge unless they decide to go for dui. They'll have your car towed and impounded. You have to park in a residential area or someplace out of the way where there isn't much traffic to get over it. The times I had to do it, I was fortunate not to be caught. One time, I agreed to go drinking with someone from work which I thought meant going to a bar. However, he went to a liquor store to get a bottle and we parked somewhere scenic, but with not too many people. We talked in my car for a couple of hours until we finished and then he got in his car and drove home. I couldn't drive worth beans and had to sleep it off right there. It was still light as we had finished a swing shift. Was surprised it was 2 am in the morning when I woke up. Wont't do that again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. james bond

james bond Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,852
    I agree except it's legal. I may trade making some alcohol illegal for legalizing marijuana. It's tough to draw the line. Maybe at 80 proof? Except I don't think that it will help much. Prohibition just forced it to go underground.

7. AzogtheDefiler

AzogtheDefiler The Pale Orc Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,636
    BTW - great story. You're a definite unsung hero!

Much respect from the Pale Orc.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Penelope

Penelope Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,821
    No alcoholism is not a disease in and of itself. An alcoholic should not even have one which leads to another. What a drug and smoking addiction leaves behind is the disease,

Alcoholism

self perpetuating behavior leads to diseases and conditions.

9. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,367
    Well, fortunately, it is illegal to drive under the influence of mind-altering substances including alcohol. Unfortunately, committed drinkers drive under the influence anyhow.

From the CDC:

How big is the problem?
    • In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
    • Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
    • In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year (figure below).
    • Drugs other than alcohol (legal and illegal) are involved in about 16% of motor vehicle crashes.4
    • Marijuana use is increasing and 13% of nighttime, weekend drivers have marijuana in their system.5
    • Marijuana users were about 25% more likely to be involved in a crash than drivers with no evidence of marijuana use, however other factors–such as age and gender–may account for the increased crash risk among marijuana users.4
    • Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,088
    Yeah. Did it myself back in the day. Long before every parked car was "suspicious".
    My dad in the early 70's crashed his car drunk and the cop gave him a ride home. Figured the wreck was his punishment. Happened to his buddy too. As long as you didn't kill anyone, all was good.
    Too many close calls when I was young and stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2