Is Drinking Alcohol Ever Any Good For Your Health?

In years past, it was widely accepted that 1 in 10 people were alcoholics (10% of the population). Apparently today the incidence of alcoholism in America is somewhat lower as 7% are considered chronic alcohol abusers, according to ProjectKnow. Like other mind-altering substances, alcoholic is the most abused drug in America, if not the world. And it has a lot of social problems associated with its use and abuse. It causes irrational behaviors and causes divorces, suicides, fist fights, shootings, date rapes, parental abuse, automobile injuries and even deaths.

7% of us are alcoholics likely by birth if the stats are true. My computer reorganized today, and I'm having problems transferring any kind of links or mexxages. I'll try again tomorrow. Good night, everyone.
I grew up with some foster kids whose mother was an alcoholic and they were placed in care. As soon as they were old enough to drink, they were raging alcoholics

They likely drank to cope with living with you. Cannot blame them.
They? I was told by my first husband that the priests did not lock the wine up, so he became an alcoholic at the age of 11, and that it was all the priests' fault that he had open access to alcohol due to THEIR negligence and NOT HIS THIEVING of church supplies. I heard this one minute before the ceremony with a promise that behavior was well into his past, except drinking through the party afterward and every day for the next 5 years at which time he threatened my life and make orphans of our two children, whom he despised since my son looked like his father and my daughter was the spitting image of his aunt Mary when she was young. I called a lawyer for advice on how to protect my 2 children from the out-of-his-mind drunk father who hated them and now, me, because he misses alcohol 24-7-365 due to his day job. My lawyer and I agreed that threatening the family and his history of promising to quit drinking half an hour before he was putting away a 6-pack and entering jerk mode with 2 hours, required a temporary separation, to get him away from the children and me, with visitation rights. Unfotunately, the first time he took the son (not the daughter), he brought him back with 7 stitches over his right eye from his drinking-and-driving collision less than 3 hours after his drunk driving collision on his way over to his drinking buddies' quarters. He never got another chance to maim either of my children by court order after that little episode, and the divorce was finalized as a consequence of his own refusal to stop the bullshit and drinking on top of that. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, O righteous judge.

Hey, barkeep. Lay off the stuff you're givin' Defiled Azog who excuses the wrongdoing of others without knowing the facts.

My second marriage lasted 44 years. I'm widowed now. If I had to do it again, I'd save the kids once more from an alcoholic monster.

Wow! Sad story. I was only mocking right winger in jest. Didn't mean for it getting personal at all. My apologies, mam.

In years past, it was widely accepted that 1 in 10 people were alcoholics (10% of the population). Apparently today the incidence of alcoholism in America is somewhat lower as 7% are considered chronic alcohol abusers, according to ProjectKnow. Like other mind-altering substances, alcoholic is the most abused drug in America, if not the world. And it has a lot of social problems associated with its use and abuse. It causes irrational behaviors and causes divorces, suicides, fist fights, shootings, date rapes, parental abuse, automobile injuries and even deaths.

7% of us are alcoholics likely by birth if the stats are true. My computer reorganized today, and I'm having problems transferring any kind of links or mexxages. I'll try again tomorrow. Good night, everyone.
I grew up with some foster kids whose mother was an alcoholic and they were placed in care. As soon as they were old enough to drink, they were raging alcoholics
Bless your parents for caring for them, rwer. Back then stats were few and far between to assist foster parents of kids whose parents were alcoholics. I can imagine the pain your parents went through watching this repetition of history, when people didn't know how great the risk is to children of one or both parents alcoholism.

Alcoholism leads to disease, its not a disease itself, you can't quit cancer or diabetes, one can quit drinking.
I do not drink.

Do you mean drinking too much alcohol could lead to alcoholism which is a disease? One can beat alcoholism as a disaese, but it is not easy. One has to quit alcohol entirely. Or is that a myth that one drink undoes everything they have worked towards? One drink and they are back to being alcoholic again destroying lives and their families.

They? I was told by my first husband that the priests did not lock the wine up, so he became an alcoholic at the age of 11, and that it was all the priests' fault that he had open access to alcohol due to THEIR negligence and NOT HIS THIEVING of church supplies. I heard this one minute before the ceremony with a promise that behavior was well into his past, except drinking through the party afterward and every day for the next 5 years at which time he threatened my life and make orphans of our two children, whom he despised since my son looked like his father and my daughter was the spitting image of his aunt Mary when she was young. I called a lawyer for advice on how to protect my 2 children from the out-of-his-mind drunk father who hated them and now, me, because he misses alcohol 24-7-365 due to his day job. My lawyer and I agreed that threatening the family and his history of promising to quit drinking half an hour before he was putting away a 6-pack and entering jerk mode with 2 hours, required a temporary separation, to get him away from the children and me, with visitation rights. Unfotunately, the first time he took the son (not the daughter), he brought him back with 7 stitches over his right eye from his drinking-and-driving collision less than 3 hours after his drunk driving collision on his way over to his drinking buddies' quarters. He never got another chance to maim either of my children by court order after that little episode, and the divorce was finalized as a consequence of his own refusal to stop the bullshit and drinking on top of that. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, O righteous judge.

Hey, barkeep. Lay off the stuff you're givin' Defiled Azog who excuses the wrongdoing of others without knowing the facts.

My second marriage lasted 44 years. I'm widowed now. If I had to do it again, I'd save the kids once more from an alcoholic monster.

Wow! Sad story. I was only mocking right winger in jest. Didn't mean for it getting personal at all. My apologies, mam.
Forgotten. :thup:

Finally, there were a couple of times I pulled over to sleep it off by the side of the road
A cop rolls up, you will get a DUI.

Yep. Being drunk in public is the easiest thing for a cop to take you in on. It's not like they have to arrest and book someone for a charge unless they decide to go for dui. They'll have your car towed and impounded. You have to park in a residential area or someplace out of the way where there isn't much traffic to get over it. The times I had to do it, I was fortunate not to be caught. One time, I agreed to go drinking with someone from work which I thought meant going to a bar. However, he went to a liquor store to get a bottle and we parked somewhere scenic, but with not too many people. We talked in my car for a couple of hours until we finished and then he got in his car and drove home. I couldn't drive worth beans and had to sleep it off right there. It was still light as we had finished a swing shift. Was surprised it was 2 am in the morning when I woke up. Wont't do that again.

Like other mind-altering substances, alcoholic is the most abused drug in America, if not the world. And it has a lot of social problems associated with its use and abuse. It causes irrational behaviors and causes divorces, suicides, fist fights, shootings, date rapes, parental abuse, automobile injuries and even deaths.

I agree except it's legal. I may trade making some alcohol illegal for legalizing marijuana. It's tough to draw the line. Maybe at 80 proof? Except I don't think that it will help much. Prohibition just forced it to go underground.

Forgotten. :thup:

BTW - great story. You're a definite unsung hero!

Much respect from the Pale Orc.

Alcoholism leads to disease, its not a disease itself, you can't quit cancer or diabetes, one can quit drinking.
I do not drink.

Do you mean drinking too much alcohol could lead to alcoholism which is a disease? One can beat alcoholism as a disaese, but it is not easy. One has to quit alcohol entirely. Or is that a myth that one drink undoes everything they have worked towards? One drink and they are back to being alcoholic again destroying lives and their families.

No alcoholism is not a disease in and of itself. An alcoholic should not even have one which leads to another. What a drug and smoking addiction leaves behind is the disease,

“Alcoholism is a disease in the sense that over time there are neurological or functional changes that happen as a result of heavy continuous drinking,” Dr. Kenneth Leonard, director of the Research Institute on Addictions, told DrugRehab.com.
Alcoholism

self perpetuating behavior leads to diseases and conditions.

Like other mind-altering substances, alcoholic is the most abused drug in America, if not the world. And it has a lot of social problems associated with its use and abuse. It causes irrational behaviors and causes divorces, suicides, fist fights, shootings, date rapes, parental abuse, automobile injuries and even deaths.

I agree except it's legal. I may trade making some alcohol illegal for legalizing marijuana. It's tough to draw the line. Maybe at 80 proof? Except I don't think that it will help much. Prohibition just forced it to go underground.
Well, fortunately, it is illegal to drive under the influence of mind-altering substances including alcohol. Unfortunately, committed drinkers drive under the influence anyhow.

From the CDC:

How big is the problem?
  • In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
  • Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
  • In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year (figure below).
  • Drugs other than alcohol (legal and illegal) are involved in about 16% of motor vehicle crashes.4
  • Marijuana use is increasing and 13% of nighttime, weekend drivers have marijuana in their system.5
  • Marijuana users were about 25% more likely to be involved in a crash than drivers with no evidence of marijuana use, however other factors–such as age and gender–may account for the increased crash risk among marijuana users.4
  • Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

Finally, there were a couple of times I pulled over to sleep it off by the side of the road

Yep. Being drunk in public is the easiest thing for a cop to take you in on. It's not like they have to arrest and book someone for a charge unless they decide to go for dui. They'll have your car towed and impounded. You have to park in a residential area or someplace out of the way where there isn't much traffic to get over it. The times I had to do it, I was fortunate not to be caught. One time, I agreed to go drinking with
Yeah. Did it myself back in the day. Long before every parked car was "suspicious".
My dad in the early 70's crashed his car drunk and the cop gave him a ride home. Figured the wreck was his punishment. Happened to his buddy too. As long as you didn't kill anyone, all was good.
Too many close calls when I was young and stupid.

View attachment 277379

Most drinking songs are to forget your troubles. Alcohol is a depressant which probably makes you even more depressed. In my softball league, one could get suspended for showing up to practice drunk or with smelling of alcohol, but our league could not afford testing for performance enhancing drugs (PEDs), so there were a few who "juiced" in order to hit a softball 300' over the fence. The gals in the stands dug it. Anyway, alcohol was forbidden. It included marijuana and cocaine in which one can tell if one is under the influence. My rules for drinking were to not get a hangover first. That meant eating something before drinking and not mixing too many drinks. Second was having a designated driver. That probably should have been first. Finally, there were a couple of times I pulled over to sleep it off by the side of the road. I'll have one bourbon, one scotch, one beer. Just kidding. What are your stories? Do you drink red wine? Is it a disease?
Depends on the person, some people are like me, quit drinking much of the time back in 1966 when the first kids was born. Never missed it. I bet that I drink a beer once of month or so. Then you have some people who drink because it makes them mellow out. Some drink for the high, some drink because they are addicted to it. It is a lot like pot now all have a diff reason for smoking or eating it. Never tried POT but it is one my list to try.

Yep. Being drunk in public is the easiest thing for a cop to take you in on. It's not like they have to arrest and book someone for a charge unless they decide to go for dui. They'll have your car towed and impounded. You have to park in a residential area or someplace out of the way where there isn't much traffic to get over it. The times I had to do it, I was fortunate not to be caught. One time, I agreed to go drinking with
Yeah. Did it myself back in the day. Long before every parked car was "suspicious".
My dad in the early 70's crashed his car drunk and the cop gave him a ride home. Figured the wreck was his punishment. Happened to his buddy too. As long as you didn't kill anyone, all was good.
Too many close calls when I was young and stupid.
Never hit anything while drinking, but did put many a driver in a parking lot so I could keep a eye on them not to get robbed. That changed in the 80s. But in the old days let them sleep it off. Only person I ever arrested threw up on me and the New patrol car. really pissed me off.

Well, fortunately, it is illegal to drive under the influence of mind-altering substances including alcohol. Unfortunately, committed drinkers drive under the influence anyhow.

From the CDC:

How big is the problem?
  • In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
  • Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
  • In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year (figure below).
  • Drugs other than alcohol (legal and illegal) are involved in about 16% of motor vehicle crashes.4
  • Marijuana use is increasing and 13% of nighttime, weekend drivers have marijuana in their system.5
  • Marijuana users were about 25% more likely to be involved in a crash than drivers with no evidence of marijuana use, however other factors–such as age and gender–may account for the increased crash risk among marijuana users.4
  • Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center
Pot users have a real problem with distance perception so they have a high rate of running into the rear of cars...

I make and drink craft beer.
I usually drink one beer a day, two to three on weekends.
Small-batch beer contains selenium, B vitamins, phosphorus, folate and niacin, as well as protein and fiber. It's also one of the few dietary sources of silicon, which can help prevent osteoporosis, according to NPR.

Nice. My friend and I tried to make wine from a kit during college. I think making beer cost more, so we thought we try this first. His mom had a dark garage, so we kept it there. The day came when we were to try it. It looked good under the light. No sediment. Then we tried it and spit it out immediately. It had become vinegar. We gave up after that.

View attachment 277379

Most drinking songs are to forget your troubles. Alcohol is a depressant which probably makes you even more depressed. In my softball league, one could get suspended for showing up to practice drunk or with smelling of alcohol, but our league could not afford testing for performance enhancing drugs (PEDs), so there were a few who "juiced" in order to hit a softball 300' over the fence. The gals in the stands dug it. Anyway, alcohol was forbidden. It included marijuana and cocaine in which one can tell if one is under the influence. My rules for drinking were to not get a hangover first. That meant eating something before drinking and not mixing too many drinks. Second was having a designated driver. That probably should have been first. Finally, there were a couple of times I pulled over to sleep it off by the side of the road. I'll have one bourbon, one scotch, one beer. Just kidding. What are your stories? Do you drink red wine? Is it a disease?
Depends on the person, some people are like me, quit drinking much of the time back in 1966 when the first kids was born. Never missed it. I bet that I drink a beer once of month or so. Then you have some people who drink because it makes them mellow out. Some drink for the high, some drink because they are addicted to it. It is a lot like pot now all have a diff reason for smoking or eating it. Never tried POT but it is one my list to try.

Pot is a hassle for LEOs because they get calls for public smoking like in an apartment complex. That is still illegal and a nuisance. I suppose if someone is really stoned, then they can be put in with the drunks.

I believe in CBD or cannabidiol if you have arthritis or other minor aches and pains. It probably is less addicting than aleve or prescription opioids. You can take it in liquid form, spray, or syrup mixed with soda or soda water. I'm not a regular user, so wasn't familiar with the side effects -- 7 Benefits and Uses of CBD Oil (Plus Side Effects). That said, I'm sure you're talking about smoking the good stuff. First time, you may not feel anything. Usually, the second time you will and be really whacked. It hit me like that the second time and my friends threw me in the trunk of a car and did donuts on the sand on a beach. It was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

View attachment 277379

Pot is a hassle for LEOs because they get calls for public smoking like in an apartment complex. That is still illegal and a nuisance. I suppose if someone is really stoned, then they can be put in with the drunks.

I believe in CBD or cannabidiol if you have arthritis or other minor aches and pains. It probably is less addicting than aleve or prescription opioids. You can take it in liquid form, spray, or syrup mixed with soda or soda water. I'm not a regular user, so wasn't familiar with the side effects -- 7 Benefits and Uses of CBD Oil (Plus Side Effects). That said, I'm sure you're talking about smoking the good stuff. First time, you may not feel anything. Usually, the second time you will and be really whacked. It hit me like that the second time and my friends threw me in the trunk of a car and did donuts on the sand on a beach. It was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.
I bought a bottle of CBD tablets, and it had zero relief for my arthritis and knee pain. Needless to mention, I'm never going to buy any more.

View attachment 277379

I think it is pretty good for women getting knocked up. Many a kid has been conceived during a drinking party.

I do not drink.

Maybe if you'd have some wine every once in a while you wouldn't be so uptight eh?

I mean something to consider. Maybe your jackboots wouldn't be so tightly laced up there Penny

They? I was told by my first husband that the priests did not lock the wine up, so he became an alcoholic at the age of 11, and that it was all the priests' fault that he had open access to alcohol due to THEIR negligence and NOT HIS THIEVING of church supplies. I heard this one minute before the church wedding ceremony with a promise that behavior was well into his past, except drinking through the party afterward and every day for the next 5 years at which time he threatened my life and make orphans of our two children, whom he despised since my son looked like his father and my daughter was the spitting image of his aunt Mary when she was young. I called a lawyer for advice on how to protect my 2 children from the out-of-his-mind drunk father who hated them and now, me, because he misses alcohol 24-7-365 due to his day job. My lawyer and I agreed that threatening the family and his history of promising to quit drinking half an hour before he was putting away a 6-pack and entering jerk mode with 2 hours, required a temporary separation, to get him away from the children and me, with visitation rights. Unfotunately, the first time he took the son (not the daughter), he brought him back with 7 stitches over his right eye from his drinking-and-driving collision less than 3 hours after his drunk driving collision on his way over to his drinking buddies' quarters with my 3-year-old son in his car. He never got another chance to maim either of my children by court order after that little episode, and the divorce was finalized as a consequence of his own refusal to stop the bullshit and drinking on top of that. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, O righteous judge.

I'm really sorry you had to deal with that beautress. Yeesh.

I have never understood mean and angry drunks. If drinking makes you mean and angry why continue to do it? Unless you enjoy feeling angry and mean? I don't know. Clearly I must be naive.

Forum List

Back