Is democracy the one size fits all solution?

Ozmar

This tree will shoot you.
Aug 25, 2010
North Carolina
I keep hearing the mantra about free democratic societies, and how democracy is the answer to authoritarian regimes. Apparently spreading democracy to Iraq was supposed to be this utopian solution and alternative to the despotic regime of Saddam Hussein.

I think this whole idea stems from the democracies there were set up in Western Europe after WWII. Those democracies did take hold, and those societies became freer as a result. I have to wonder if those weren't historical anomalies. Democracy by its very nature is fractious; different parties form with different political goals, ideologies, often demographics. This is not a bad thing if a country is relatively homogenous, as most of the Western European countries were (or used to be). In Japan and South Korea, democracy took hold with relative ease (later for South Korea than Japan).

In America, it has taken shape over hundreds of years, from not really democratic in the beginning to now. I think that the long established institutions are sufficiently strong to overcome the diversity of the populace for now.

In the Middle East, I'm not sure that it would work out to pretty. What do we have over there? Cultures and traditions that reach back thousands of years. Old ways that just won't die. There is also a competing ideology of theocracy entrenched in the majority religion Islam. Given that there is often a cycle of violence even within the various sects of Islam, I wonder how a fractious system of government could actually work. For instance, there are tribal bonds and loyalties that precede the modern nation states that were carved out of colonialism in the past century or so. These modern nation states are like artificial boons over a sea of preceding culture and tradition. These modern nation states have generally been headed by strongmen since their inception, often having coups resulting in one strongman replacing another.

If the strongman is taken out of the equation with a fractious population used to being unified by the authoritarian nature of the regime heading their nation state, what I believe happens is they revert to their traditional tribalism, and the nation state falls apart. I believe that is what we see in Iraq. I believe that is what happened in Somalia with the fall of their dictator.

Given the fractious nature of tribalism is not conducive to a unified national government, I have to wonder if democracy could actually work in the Middle East.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, there was all this joy and the prospect of democracy and freedom in Russia and beyond. Throughout history, there has never been a time when there was not a strongman of sorts in power. It is part of the national psyche to have a leader to look up to. It's really no surprise to me that over the last 20 years, Russia has been reverting back to authoritarianism.

I'm tired right now, but I'll share more thoughts a little later.

Except to say, why are people blindly pushing this idea that democracy works always and without fail?

Not if al-Qaida has anything to do with it...
:eek:
Al-Qaida slams calls for democracy in Middle East
Saturday 19th February, 2011 - Ayman al-Zawahri, the second-in-command of Al-Qaida, has issued the terrorist group’s first message since the uprising in Egypt removed Mubarak from power. The message praised the development, but warned against the evils of democracy.
Al-Qaida has long called for the removal of Mubarak, who was an important US ally in the Middle East, but the recent uprising, which was highly secular and socio-political in nature, appears to have taken the wind from the sails of the group, which has long lambasted democracy as anti-Islamic.

al-Zawahri, an Egyptian doctor, has in the past issued video messages denouncing democracy because it replaces God’s laws with man’s, Al-Qaida and al-Zawahri had instead envisioned an Egypt similar in nature to Iran, where strict religious belief informs the conduct and structure of the government and the state.

“The reality of Egypt is the reality of deviation from Islam,” says al-Zawahri in the video, after providing a detailed 30-minute account of Egypt’s modern history, in which he accuses the west of corrupting the country and planting un-Islamic elements in Egyptian society.

Like the autocratic governments across the Middle East facing widespread unrest, Al-Qaida appears to be facing an increasingly isolated future as it calls for ideals that are contrary to the support for greater democracy and civil liberty seen across North Africa and the Middle East.

Many developed Middle Eastern states, such as the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman and Jordan have shown that democracy and Islam can coexist, a state of affairs to which Al-Qaida is stridently opposed.

Al-Qaida slams calls for democracy in Middle East

So many countries that fail at democracy are artificial constructs anyway.
Most of the Middle Eastern and African countries were put together by Western powers during colonialism or after wars.
No wonder they don't work.
Maybe, for many of them, despotic rule with regular coups is the best system - at least until some sort of national unity is finally reached allowing a more democratic system to be installed.
On the other hand, maybe a more logical organisation of nations is required - look at Sudan for example.

Forum List

Back