CDZ Is cyberbullying a problem?

xdangerousxdavex

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
In the age of the Internet, bullies can do more damage faster than ever before, and as more cyberbullying victims share their stories of harassment...
When the Pain Torment of Cyberbullying Lingers Years Later - Yahoo News

My oh my, bullies do damage using the Internet! But these girls forgot that they can easily block messaging, change their nicknames or even stop wasting time on social networks!

Is cyberbullying a real problem? Or we just have to read about 17-year old scandal and think about it and discuss and feel pity for Bill’s & Monica’s poor little souls, reading about girls who’re bullied in the social networks and other crap? The Internet develops and become crueler, so must we do.

While some of us were bullied in school growing up before the proliferation of computers and advent of the internet might not be able to understand cyberbullying (it's just words on a screen,) for users who're coming of age online that's their 'real world.' So words on a screen can in fact traumatize them, lead them to suicide, etc.

For emotional trauma to occur it doesn't have to be in your personal space. It can be virtual. See it all the time when people dis Islam in one country and the violent reaction occurs in another country.

While some of us were bullied in school growing up before the proliferation of computers and advent of the internet might not be able to understand cyberbullying (it's just words on a screen,) for users who're coming of age online that's their 'real world.' So words on a screen can in fact traumatize them, lead them to suicide, etc.

For emotional trauma to occur it doesn't have to be in your personal space. It can be virtual. See it all the time when people dis Islam in one country and the violent reaction occurs in another country.
Virtual life, virtual friends, virtual communication, virtual emotions, virtual emotional trauma... I understand what you mean but I can't understand their problems anyway, it looks like disorder and I think medical treatment / isolation from the Internet are needed.

In the age of the Internet, bullies can do more damage faster than ever before, and as more cyberbullying victims share their stories of harassment...
When the Pain Torment of Cyberbullying Lingers Years Later - Yahoo News

My oh my, bullies do damage using the Internet! But these girls forgot that they can easily block messaging, change their nicknames or even stop wasting time on social networks!

Is cyberbullying a real problem? Or we just have to read about 17-year old scandal and think about it and discuss and feel pity for Bill’s & Monica’s poor little souls, reading about girls who’re bullied in the social networks and other crap? The Internet develops and become crueler, so must we do.

It's a major problem for kids and not just girls. It's usually an extension of daily life off line.
9 Teenage Suicides In The Last Year Were Linked To Cyber-Bullying On Social Network Ask.fm - BuzzFeed News

This makes it a 24/7. So, yes, it is a problem.

I have a teen daughter and I can see how kids today let their internet identity determine their self-image, sometimes for the worse. These kids are putting half naked pics up or sending them to friends and then wondering why half the school has seen the pic a day later. Kids are immature and can't put it in perspective.

Suicide is the 3rd cause of death in about 4600 suicides a year. Therefore, what?
Yes, what? Cyberbullying is the reason? If we shut down the Internet, suicides would be more :badgrin:

Nobody mentioned shutting down the internet. :alcoholic:
I mentioned it
Otherwise how can we prevent cyberbullying?
Ok, shutting down not the Internet but all the messengers, social networks and forums, any messaging. Half of our kids would kill themselves or kill each other :FIREdevil:

Suicide is the 3rd cause of death in about 4600 suicides a year. Therefore, what?
Yes, what? Cyberbullying is the reason? If we shut down the Internet, suicides would be more :badgrin:

I mentioned it
Ok, shutting down not the Internet but all the messengers, social networks and forums, any messaging. Half of our kids would kill themselves or kill each other :FIREdevil:
That wasnt the question. The question was "is it a problem?" Youre jumping the gun.

I mentioned it

That's not feasible. What else you got?

That's not feasible. What else you got?
Nothing. And you? Any arguments how cyberbullying could be stopped?

It depends on the situation. Usually, but not always, it starts irl. Social media is an extension. It stands to reason that is where you stop it. No?

First things first, the kid needs to be able to come forward. If they firmly believe that nobody cares, nothing will be done or it is after a sexual assault then they may not come forward. Parents need to pry--go through the texts. Pay attention to what they are doing online. Know the friends. Be involved.

Secondly, and the big push currently, is that since most of it originates in school then they operate as the mediator in these situations. Doesn't mean that I agree with that and it does not guarantee that anything will be done. In my own personal experience, which is clearly not true for all (and did not extend to social media), I went to the school because they had/have a zero tolerance policy and it was taking place in the school. I spoke with the principal. I said you won't protect him and you will not allow him to protect himself. He said, "What do you want me to do about it?" There was a rule change after that and parents needed to go to the teacher. The teacher said that if it happened again they would let me know where to locate the parents.

I have found success in dealing with the parents directly. They cannot stop what they do not know. Sometimes the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. It's a crap shoot and it is much easier to deal with when the kid is younger.

I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to keep my kid from letting loose because he was/is much bigger than kids his age. He had no clue how much damage that he could do. Adults that maintained the stance of it's just a normal part of life are now singing a whole different tune. He won't stop until he hits about 6'4" and he is approaching that.

Go to the police. Harassment is harassment.

Move.

Last edited:
I have a teen daughter and I can see how kids today let their internet identity determine their self-image, sometimes for the worse. These kids are putting half naked pics up or sending them to friends and then wondering why half the school has seen the pic a day later. Kids are immature and can't put it in perspective.
I took my son aside at ten, told him it was nothing personal, but he was about to enter the "Stupid Years", and he best not trust anything his mind told him for the next 10-15 years.

He took that advice, and is doing fine now.

He is the happiest person I know.

Forum List

Back