Is corporate radio ruining music?

I saw my morning jacket on SNL a while back. Whatever the opposite of really impressed is... I was that.

Yeah, they aren't your scene I imagine.

That's what's so cool, there are ALL kinds of bands out there, enough for everyone's musical taste!

Didn't someone say all great rock songs have the same 3 chords?

It always cracks me up how people seem to have some sort of shut off valve when it comes to music. Once they hit about 25 years old they've heard almost everything they're ever going to like. There is always good new bands if you're willing to seek them out. But I will confess, I don't seek them out as much anymore either simply because I don't have the bandwidth. But I don't kid myself about it. Once in a while I hear a new band and like their sound and check them out. Like the White Stripes for example. But Dis, Nickelback sucks...and then some. They're shit is so damn formulaic and corporate that it makes me want to puke.

Mani disagrees with me twice in a single day? Say it ain't so.. :(

Pardon me while I go collect my rapidly rolling eyeballs from down the street.

Nickleback vs. Breaking Benjamin? Nickleback wins hands down in my world. Hell, my Linda Ronstadt cd's can whip the shit out of Breaking Benjamin, and they're older than dirt. :eusa_hand:

It always cracks me up how people seem to have some sort of shut off valve when it comes to music. Once they hit about 25 years old they've heard almost everything they're ever going to like. There is always good new bands if you're willing to seek them out. But I will confess, I don't seek them out as much anymore either simply because I don't have the bandwidth. But I don't kid myself about it. Once in a while I hear a new band and like their sound and check them out. Like the White Stripes for example. But Dis, Nickelback sucks...and then some. They're shit is so damn formulaic and corporate that it makes me want to puke.

Nickleback vs. Breaking Benjamin? Nickleback wins hands down in my world. Hell, my Linda Ronstadt cd's can whip the shit out of Breaking Benjamin, and they're older than dirt. :eusa_hand:

:lol:

I've never heard of breaking benjamin. I just know that the best thing about Nickelback is their name. I used to play nickelback in highschool football so I really did wish they were good. :D

Credence Clearwater Revival had seven gold albums and that was back in the days when there were 45 RPM's out. I don't know that every song got played but I'd bet most of them did.

I think nearly every song but maybe one or two of the Beatles white cover albums got played.

Trouble is that creative juices just don't turn on and off like a faucet. and with the 15 minutes of fame syndrome if you don't pump out albums with some frequency you become who's that in a hurry. That's why you get one maybe two good songs in an album with most newer groups.

Just ask 20-somethings and younger if they like the Beatles. ...

Every generation has its own music, and will think that music is great and the newer stuff is lousy.

But actually, most kids I know are not only aware of the Beatles, a surprising portion of them are really into them. When I was a kid you didn't find many kids who were into music from three or four decades earlier.

This is partially true, up until the last generation it was completely true, but the newest music (with a very few exceptions) is rehashed, rerecorded, 80's pop music.

See my thing to is that back in the day you could have a band put out an album and have pretty much all the songs on it be radio singles with in the time it takes them to put out the next cd but now a days that is far from the case as with my fav band breaking benjamin, their last cd phobia came out in 2006 and in 3 years 2-3 songs hit the radio from it and there are many other bands, artists out there with the same issue.

Really? What day was that back in? How many albums can you name that had every song as a radio single? I'll rep you if you can show me proof of 5 albums that meet that criteria.

Most of the time it was 1/2 of the songs going to singles.. because the other 1/2 were on the B-Side...

The last album I know had more than 1/2 of it's songs go to Singles for airplay was Def Leppard's Hysteria.... where 2 of the B-Sides had tracks from off the album.. it had 7 songs to to radio play singles that charted... only a handful of albums in pop/rock music history ever had that happen

See my thing to is that back in the day you could have a band put out an album and have pretty much all the songs on it be radio singles with in the time it takes them to put out the next cd but now a days that is far from the case as with my fav band breaking benjamin, their last cd phobia came out in 2006 and in 3 years 2-3 songs hit the radio from it and there are many other bands, artists out there with the same issue.

Really? What day was that back in? How many albums can you name that had every song as a radio single? I'll rep you if you can show me proof of 5 albums that meet that criteria.

Most of the time it was 1/2 of the songs going to singles.. because the other 1/2 were on the B-Side...

The last album I know had more than 1/2 of it's songs go to Singles for airplay was Def Leppard's Hysteria.... where 2 of the B-Sides had tracks from off the album.. it had 7 songs to to radio play singles that charted... only a handful of albums in pop/rock music history ever had that happen

Exactly. Which is why I think Life_Long_Dem! is remembering the good ol' days that never were.

Let's take for example some of the most popular artists of all time: Elvis, The Beatles, and Michael Jackson. Any of them have every song from an album become a radio single? I don't think so. And here's the best part... if, during their heyday, you asked someone over say 40 what they thought of them I bet a lot of them would sound just like the people in this thread calling current music crap.

Dude. That's cause Breaking Benjamin sucks by a landslide.

Try Nickleback. Most of their songs become radio singles by the time they put their next CD out.

dude nickleback sucks big time monkey ass, then again the mtv generation would not know good music if it bit them in the ass, yes i am apart of that generation, i am 35 but todays music is so fake and manufactured.
Breaking benjamin has many good songs
Breath
Diary Of jane
sooner or later
so cold
until the end
medicate
polyamorous

thats just to name a few, Saving Abel, another great band imo has been out a while now, their cd came out last march and 3 songs to date are radio tracks
Addicted(WAY overplayed)
18 Days
Facedown(drowning) 3 Tracks in over a year...wow!

I could keep going if you like

nickleback and linda ronstadt better than breaking benjamin!!! LOL HAHA!:cuckoo: nicklebacks first cd back before they got huge was good everything else SUCKS!, i wont even touch the other, I saw breaking benjamin live in 2007 and it was the best live show I went to that year, their music has helped me through alot of tough times and imo they blow 3/4ths of todays bands out of the water and they havent gotten to the sellout, fake mtv stage in their career which is a major plus in my eyes

New Topics

Forum List

Back