Is China On A Tinderbox Ready To Explode From Labor Unrest?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by War News Updates Editor @ War News Updates: Is China On A Tinderbox Ready To Explode From Labor Unrest? with links

China's Dorm Room Discontent Emerges As New Labor Flashpoint -- Reuters

(Reuters) - Twenty-three-year old factory worker Wang spends up to 12 hours a day making iPhone components in China, but his major complaint is not about the monotony of the production line - it is about his degrading worker-bee life inside the dormitory.

Wang, who did not want his full name published, is among thousands of workers housed in a vast complex where tensions aggravated by regimented and cramped living conditions boiled over on Sunday into a violent mass riot.

"The bathrooms are simply disgusting and people are constantly stealing things," Wang said as he stood outside of the factory in the northern city of Taiyuan, owned by Apple Inc's largest contract manufacturer, Taiwan firm Foxconn.

Read more .... China's dorm room discontent emerges as new labor flashpoint | Reuters

My Comment: This story is important to me because it confirms to me that unrest in China is growing .... and the reason why this Reuters story caught my eye was because I saw the same thing happened in the dormitories of Fujian Province when I was living there in 1988. While all of my travels and contacts were restricted (and watched) when I was in China in the 1980s, I did have the opportunity to see and understand China through my interpreters. One such occasion occurred when we visited a university, and a student told me what life was like in these places .... specifically the dormitories. In short .... his only belongings were a few t-shirts, shorts and pants, underwear and socks, and a simple jacket. No electronics. No money. No hope. He was living in a small and dirty room with three other men .... and all of them were frustrated with their lives, no longer caring about China and their role in it but yearning for change .... and there were tens of thousands of these men who felt this way. This was the first sign (for me) that there was growing unrest and frustration in China at the time .... an unrest that grew and grew until it culminated a year later in the Tienanmen massacre.

Is history repeating itself? Will a Chinese Spring burst out in the next year or two? I do not know the answer .... but I do know that when I was in China a few weeks ago .... I sensed growing unrest, and the same issues and grievances that were voiced in 1988 are being voiced today.

Update: The New York Times is also picking up on this growing unrest in China.

a student told me what life was like in these places .... specifically the dormitories. In short .... his only belongings were a few t-shirts, shorts and pants, underwear and socks, and a simple jacket. No electronics. No money. No hope. He was living in a small and dirty room with three other men .... .

In China, in the late 80s? That's all anyone had. Exactly what electronics would you expect anyone to have in Shanxi in the late 80s? An ipad? People living in housing blocks in any large city then lived in spartan conditions, and certainly students would expect nothing different. Filthy bathrooms and a lack of personal space would have come as no shock to any of those students. Hell, into the mid 90s things hadn't changed from that very much.

As for popular unrest, that has been a fear of the ruling party since they took power, and the CCP is as terrified of the Chinese people as ever (and as willing to distract, divide, sedate, or kill them as a consequence). They should be.

14 Year Olds Found Working in Foxconn Factories...
:mad:
Kids as Young as 14 Found to Be Working in Foxconn Factories
10/16/2012 - An internal investigation has revealed that Foxconn Technology Group, the world's largest electronics manufacturer, has employed interns as young as 14-years-old, which is two years under China's legal employment age.
Foxconn issued a statement indicating that it discovered that some of its interns at its Yantai facility in the Shandong Province were below the legal age of employment. The Chinese company also said in a statement:

“This is not only a violation of China’s labor law, it is also a violation of Foxconn policy and immediate steps have been taken to return the interns in question to their educational institutions.”

China Labor Watch reports that the underage interns were "mainly sent to Foxconn by schools, but Foxconn did not check the IDs of these young interns."

Foxconn, which is responsible for the mass production of some of the world's most popular tech gadgets like the iPhone 5, added that it will undergo another round of internal inspections, and will terminate anyone found to be under 16-years-old. According to Foxconn, interns make up just 2.7% of the 1.2 million workers in total that it employs in China.

Kids as Young as 14 Found to Be Working in Foxconn Factories | Cleveland Leader

Chinese Continue Protest Against Media Censorship...
:eusa_clap:
China Free Speech Protests Spread Online
January 08, 2013 - Free-speech protesters clashed with Communist party supporters in southern China on Tuesday, as a local dispute about government censorship spilled over into a nationwide online protest.
Hundreds of demonstrators gathered Tuesday for a second day outside the progressive Southern Weekly in Guangzhou, where some journalists have gone on strike to protest alleged government editorial interference. Minor scuffles broke out after activists holding signs and chanting slogans calling for media freedom were confronted by a small group of party loyalists who waved Chinese flags and held posters of Chairman Mao. The protesters are calling for the resignation of the provincial propaganda chief after censors last week allegedly blocked a New Year's editorial urging greater constitutional rights. The article was replaced with another praising the party's achievements. The open protest against state censorship - the first of its kind in years - is seen as a key test for China's incoming leader Xi Jinping, who has called for the government to be more open.

CAFB7A1C-EB61-47B8-83FF-11DE4F703097_mw640_mh360_s.jpg

Demonstrators hold banners outside the headquarters of Southern Weekly newspaper in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China, January 8, 2013.

Kerry Brown, who heads the China Studies Center at the University of Sydney, says he does not expect Beijing to make any major concessions, such as dismissing the provincial propaganda official. "If journalists were able to do that in such a key area...then they've really got a big scalp. And that will probably give the sniff of blood to others," Brown said. "I think if the party does that, it will probably be construed as a sign of weakness, and I don't think the party will be willing to pay that price at the moment." Even though the protests outside the newspaper were relatively small Tuesday, a steady stream of Chinese celebrities, journalists and other public figures have applied pressure on Beijing by expressing their support for the paper in social media.

In an effort to limit public discussion on the matter, Chinese authorities have blocked searches for the name of the paper on the country's wildly popular microblogs. But many users were able to bypass censors by posting pictures and other cryptic messages that decried government censorship. The government has so far not responded, and has allowed the protests to take place. But an editorial in the state-run Global Times on Tuesday said there will be no "surprise ending" to the situation, and that China is "unlikely to have an 'absolutely free media' that is dreamed of by those activists."

Source

Last edited:
by War News Updates Editor @ War News Updates: Is China On A Tinderbox Ready To Explode From Labor Unrest? with links

China's Dorm Room Discontent Emerges As New Labor Flashpoint -- Reuters

(Reuters) - Twenty-three-year old factory worker Wang spends up to 12 hours a day making iPhone components in China, but his major complaint is not about the monotony of the production line - it is about his degrading worker-bee life inside the dormitory.

Wang, who did not want his full name published, is among thousands of workers housed in a vast complex where tensions aggravated by regimented and cramped living conditions boiled over on Sunday into a violent mass riot.

"The bathrooms are simply disgusting and people are constantly stealing things," Wang said as he stood outside of the factory in the northern city of Taiyuan, owned by Apple Inc's largest contract manufacturer, Taiwan firm Foxconn.

Read more .... China's dorm room discontent emerges as new labor flashpoint | Reuters

My Comment: This story is important to me because it confirms to me that unrest in China is growing .... and the reason why this Reuters story caught my eye was because I saw the same thing happened in the dormitories of Fujian Province when I was living there in 1988. While all of my travels and contacts were restricted (and watched) when I was in China in the 1980s, I did have the opportunity to see and understand China through my interpreters. One such occasion occurred when we visited a university, and a student told me what life was like in these places .... specifically the dormitories. In short .... his only belongings were a few t-shirts, shorts and pants, underwear and socks, and a simple jacket. No electronics. No money. No hope. He was living in a small and dirty room with three other men .... and all of them were frustrated with their lives, no longer caring about China and their role in it but yearning for change .... and there were tens of thousands of these men who felt this way. This was the first sign (for me) that there was growing unrest and frustration in China at the time .... an unrest that grew and grew until it culminated a year later in the Tienanmen massacre.

Is history repeating itself? Will a Chinese Spring burst out in the next year or two? I do not know the answer .... but I do know that when I was in China a few weeks ago .... I sensed growing unrest, and the same issues and grievances that were voiced in 1988 are being voiced today.

Update: The New York Times is also picking up on this growing unrest in China.

That's exactly the life American Liberals want for all of us, the Workers Paradise

Forum List

Back