Is China making a rare earth power play?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Modbert, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Is China making a rare earth power play? | FP Passport

A lot more to read after the jump. A interesting turn of events in this ongoing saga that is certainly to have larger implications going forward.

The U.S certainly needs to get moving on catching up to China, especially before it's too late.

2. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I'm sure the Aussies on the board could tell you how the Chinese have been quietly and not so quietly hogging up mineral resources of all kinds for years now. I wasn't aware of just how strong their monopoly on REMs was though.

Considering how dependent we and all developed nations are on these materials, the article's suggestion of a national stockpile is a good idea and one that needs to be done sooner rather than later. I doubt our own resources will be cost-effective to exploit until and unless the Chinese force our hands, and if that were to happen we'll need access to resources while our own firms are just getting online - assuming they ever would.

Our lack of self-sufficiency in so many areas is worrisome to me. From energy to sovereign debt to manufacturing to to raw materials - there are so many potential national security implications in all of these it's troublesome to think we're doing nothing about it. And most of those we're dependent on aren't exactly renowned for their sense of fair play.