Is cap&trade the price to get nuke power?

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
Is the the carrot that will get the GOP to cave into Obamas progressives anti jobs tax plan?

INTERVIEW-Nuclear power aids White House climate push
16 Feb 2010 15:34:37 GMT
Source: Reuters
* Obama is optimistic about climate legislation status
* No timeline for more nuclear loan guarantees (Updates with quotes, background)
By Jeff Mason
WASHINGTON, Feb 16 (Reuters) - The White House is working hard to advance climate change legislation in Congress and hopes an announcement to jumpstart the nuclear power industry will appeal to Republican skeptics, a top adviser to President Barack Obama said.
Obama will announce on Tuesday an $8.3 billion loan guarantee to help Southern Co <SO.N> build two reactors, a move that the administration hopes will invigorate the nuclear power industry after nearly three decades in which no new plants have been built.
Carol Browner, Obama's top energy and climate adviser, said she was hopeful about progress on energy and climate legislation that is currently stalled in the U.S. Senate.
"I'm always optimistic, as is the president," Browner told Reuters Insider in an interview.
"We're working hard, and we're encouraged by the conversations that are going on. Obviously this is very important legislation and we're going to do everything we can to make it happen," she said.
Obama, a Democrat, is pushing for a law that would cap greenhouse gas emissions from industry and expand the use of renewable energy such as wind and solar.
Browner said that Republicans, many of whom oppose the climate bill, should take note of Obama's efforts to reach out on the issue of nuclear energy -- a top priority among key opposition lawmakers such as John McCain, the Republican presidential candidate in 2008.

Reuters AlertNet - INTERVIEW-Nuclear power aids White House climate push

Tricks won't work.

If barry makes that the condition, it would be yet another signal that he just for pushing his agenda while fucking us over with higher bills to pay.

The GoP should be able to see through such nonsense.

Tricks won't work.

If barry makes that the condition, it would be yet another signal that he just for pushing his agenda while fucking us over with higher bills to pay.

We can hope anyhow.

Tricks won't work.

Then he can say the GOP is standing in the way of jobs and energy independence.

Loan Guarantees are the stupid. It is what got us in the mess we are in right now anyway.

And guaranteeing the loans for something that I am sure will never turn on is the worst kind of stupid.

I think Nuke power is a great idea, but a huge minority don't. They have legitimate questions that folks like me have to give lame answers to. Until we get reasonable honest answers to that minority's questions, there is no way any new nuke plant will ever turn on. So wasting the money on them on the basis of an Obama promise? I don't think so. Unless we get real change, there is no hope for it

Tricks won't work.

Then he can say the GOP is standing in the way of jobs and energy independence.
Those games are no longer working for the Dems.

All such comments will do is make people roll their eyes and vote GoP in Novemebr.

Is the the carrot that will get the GOP to cave into Obamas progressives anti jobs tax plan?

INTERVIEW-Nuclear power aids White House climate push
16 Feb 2010 15:34:37 GMT
Source: Reuters
* Obama is optimistic about climate legislation status
* No timeline for more nuclear loan guarantees (Updates with quotes, background)
By Jeff Mason
WASHINGTON, Feb 16 (Reuters) - The White House is working hard to advance climate change legislation in Congress and hopes an announcement to jumpstart the nuclear power industry will appeal to Republican skeptics, a top adviser to President Barack Obama said.
Obama will announce on Tuesday an $8.3 billion loan guarantee to help Southern Co <SO.N> build two reactors, a move that the administration hopes will invigorate the nuclear power industry after nearly three decades in which no new plants have been built.
Carol Browner, Obama's top energy and climate adviser, said she was hopeful about progress on energy and climate legislation that is currently stalled in the U.S. Senate.
"I'm always optimistic, as is the president," Browner told Reuters Insider in an interview.
"We're working hard, and we're encouraged by the conversations that are going on. Obviously this is very important legislation and we're going to do everything we can to make it happen," she said.
Obama, a Democrat, is pushing for a law that would cap greenhouse gas emissions from industry and expand the use of renewable energy such as wind and solar.
Browner said that Republicans, many of whom oppose the climate bill, should take note of Obama's efforts to reach out on the issue of nuclear energy -- a top priority among key opposition lawmakers such as John McCain, the Republican presidential candidate in 2008.

Reuters AlertNet - INTERVIEW-Nuclear power aids White House climate push

I wondered this in another thread, if Obama wasn't dangling nukes as a way to get the Republicans on board w/Cap n Tax. If this is the case I hope the GOP stands firm and their 'NO' vote is deafening.

It would not help the GoP to 'give in' on it, it would be far more effective to call barry's bluff and watch him try to explain why the nuke plan is no longer a hot idea.

If this is Barry's paln, its lose-lose.

I dont know if there will any chance of actually getting the permits to build nuke plants even if it were Obamas fondest wish.

Georgia power is already charging users 9% surcharge for the building of the plants , I dont see why they need loan guarantees unless it is a hide the money rip off scheme.

Forum List

Back