• yes

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • no

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Nuc

Jul 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
On another thread respondents are complaining about how opinion polls on Bush's approval rating are skewed depending upon how the question is phrased. Well this is as simple as it gets.

Is Bush doing a good job?

nucular said:
On another thread respondents are complaining about how opinion polls on Bush's approval rating are skewed depending upon how the question is phrased. Well this is as simple as it gets.

Is Bush doing a good job?

What he is doing is correct. There are serious problems in the committment in numbers and message. Here and in Iraq.

So, 'good job in Iran?' My answer was it could be much better.

This simple answer cannot define my feelings accurately.

Why do I think he is doing a poor job?

1. He leaves our borders open to insurgency.
2. He does not communicate his plans well and because of that allows the political opposition to define his plan for him. He needs to realize the power of the Presidency to control the media's message about his plans.

Do I think he is doing the right thing?

Yes, I do. Not for the reasons he gave, but over the long term it will be the right thing.

Not perfect, but then who is? I'm not happy about his butt-kissing of Vicente Fox, but the bottom line is I believe he is doing a much better job than dopey Kerry would have done.

And it's positively wonderful to have decency and integrity back in the White House, after eight years of Clinton's sleaze.

All in all, I think President Bush is doing a good job. Like anybody, there are some things I'm not thrilled with. His immigration policy, and the fact that I am taking more and more of a Libertarian view when it comes to education puts me farther away from him on that issue as well.

Still, there are things domestically and internationally that needed to be done, and rather than wash his hands of them in favor of popularity polls, he's doing what he can to get them done. All with 99% of Democrats and liberals sitting on pins and needles, waiting to see what he says so they can take the opposite stance.

I think Pres. Bush has grossly mismanaged the Iraq war, he has taken our country from budget surpluses under Clinton to record Deficits, he's done nothing to help reduce our trade deficit, gas is $2.79 a gallon but we're subsidizing big oil, the enivorment is being trashed for profit by big oil, big mining, and big logging interests, shall I go on?

acludem

acludem said:
I think Pres. Bush has grossly mismanaged the Iraq war, he has taken our country from budget surpluses under Clinton to record Deficits, he's done nothing to help reduce our trade deficit, gas is $2.79 a gallon but we're subsidizing big oil, the enivorment is being trashed for profit by big oil, big mining, and big logging interests, shall I go on?

acludem

Those are some of the reasons his supporters love him so much. I guess perspective is everything.
:bang3:

acludem said:

acludem

Since your goal is communism pure and simple, I'll take The Bush agenda any day.

acludem said:

acludem

How has Bush mismanaged the Iraq War? IIRC, the US swept through his army in days.

Clinton's budget surplus was smoke and mirrors, and the middle class was financially raped and the military ignored in order for him to achieve what success he did. If you take everyone's money and don't pay to maintain what you're supposed to, it's easy to gain money.

The price of gas has WHAT to do with the President? Are you saying you want the US gov't to control private industry?

And please don't go on. Your accusations are worn out, old as my Granny, and basically not worth spit.

acludem said:
gas is $2.79 a gallon

That's the only thing I've had a problem with because of the war, over here in D.C. its up to roughly $3.00 per gallon, now that's just ridiculous for us middle class folk. I can't be paying 35-40 bucks to fill up a little Mitshubishi, its just too much man.

NO. (i will discuss second term developments, not rehash old arguments from the first term, where i thought he did a great job).

- Despite Condi Rice's appointment at State, US diplomacy continues to be a failure across the board.
- We blew it on Uzbekistan. Instead of either ignoring the human rights abuses at Andijan or outright condemning them (in line with the Bush doctorine of democracy), we hem and hawed it like this was the Clinton administration all over again. Now we've lost our K2 base, the Chinese and Russian "Shanghai" corporation outmanuevered us and continues to zing us in other Central Asian capitals, and we looked incompetent to most observers, from India to Afghanistan to China and Russia. At least the Europeans started out playing hardball with Karimov the dictator and have since gotten all spineless.

- We've failed to call out China on their outrageous support of regimes in Zimbabwe, Burma and Sudan (among others). Oops, Sudan is now our ally (see below). Instead of reaffirming our leadership as the human rights defender of the world, we're letting the Chinese literally get away with murder in the name of cheap oil and getting shit on all over in the process.

- We're now aligned with a Islamofacist genocidal state (no, not pakistan). Sudan is now our "ally" in the WOT and we betrayed the people of Darfur and our own ideals to do so, in the most disgusting case of realpolitik since Kissinger managed to officially condone the slaughter of millions of people in a period of less than three years (Cambodia, East Timor, Chile, Bangladesh).
By the way, the rise of Islamic fundamentalism is now rampant in Sudan's rebellious regions, and the African Union is failing because no one (hmm, America?) is pressuring them to take a harder line on Sudan.

- We are letting Chavez and Castro walk away with most of Latin America in their sway, while mounting a weak response to the most blatant destablization of a region since the Soviet Union got weak in the knees for Latin America in the 70's.

Domestic Policy

- Pres. Bush decided he'd rather use all his political capital on Soc. Security reform and ignore everything else from immigration to out of control federal pork.

- Pres. Bush decided to let 7 senators from his own party betray him and embolden the democratic opposition over their heinous fillibustering of federal judges.

- Pres. Bush decided to show zero leadership on drastically improving this nation's sagging schools, dooming 4 more years worth of kids to failed American education.

- Do I need to mention the lack of realistic and bold energy ideas?

- What the "f" happened to tax reform?

if i had to give him a grade, bush would get a B- from me....i like how he has handled the war on terror, i think his tax cuts have stimulated the economy...those being his strong points..i think he has done a poor job on border control, that being my biggest problem with him ...i keep hearing about this "supposed" budget surplus left from the Clinton administration...folks, it didnt exist....smoke and mirrors...those were PROJECTIONS, an "if everything goes perfectly over the next 10yrs" scenario. as far as clinton having a balanced budget..he shifted funds from social security. cooked the books.

I would have to raise my opinion of him after this NO disaster. The Governor and Mayor who should have had plans for such disasters had none. The Federal Executive had to establish an infrastructure to help those people out and they have done it in about 3 days. The people responsible for the evacuation and emergency plans have gotten a pass, so far, from the media. I don't think it will last much longer.

I have been impressed by the response time considering the fact that they had to build an infrastructure from scratch.

no1tovote4 said:
I would have to raise my opinion of him after this NO disaster. The Governor and Mayor who should have had plans for such disasters had none. The Federal Executive had to establish an infrastructure to help those people out and they have done it in about 3 days. The people responsible for the evacuation and emergency plans have gotten a pass, so far, from the media. I don't think it will last much longer.

I have been impressed by the response time considering the fact that they had to build an infrastructure from scratch.

Yes! That is what I've been thinking. It's funny how the words for something so simple can escape you.

All things considered, I think this has been handled quite well. It happened Tuesday morning, and what they have done in three days with this situation is pretty amazing. Some people seem to think that President Bush has a magic wand that he can wave but refuses to do it. They either have no clue about the level of devastation there has been, or they are just assholes. I'm thinking it's even money.

I finally submitted my vote as a yes after I started to think what kind of a job that Kerry would have done. Perspective made it an easy vote.

Forum List

Back