Is Bush A Racist?

B

BlackMan

Jim Jones University is a bastion of old time Jim Crow that still supports antimiscegenation and white supremacy. Was it wrong for Bush to speak there or was (is) he just a politically astute racist solidifying his Republican base? Or was (is) he not a racist but just using it to increase his support?

Can you give us references or sources to link us to to read about this speaking engagement? It's hard to form an opinion without knowing the entire story.

Of the visitors to Bob Jones University (thanks for the correction), only Alan Keyes stands out as the odd ball. Reagan started this presidential pilgrimage and the stragedy has generally worked: reviving racism.

Here are some excerpts from Keyes speech at Jim Jones. Even he could not forget who he was.

“There are folks who don't think I should be talking to Bob Jones University, in fact. You know that, don't you? I hope you understand this. They said I shouldn't come here, because I am a black person, and there are these terrible policies about interracial dating. They said I shouldn't come because I am--I say it with pride and certainty--a Roman Catholic Christian. And that I would not be received in this place, on that account.”

He goes on,

”It is for us, as Christian people, to reject religious bigotry, to reject racial bigotry, to stand before America to example that which we are called upon to example--whether we be Americans, whether we be Indians, whether we be Asians, Jews, whatever it is. We are called upon by the Lord God, in the name of Jesus Christ, to go and preach to all nations the truth that we stand before the Lord our God, one in His mercy, if we are willing to accept that Christ which is the messenger of His truth, and whose life and whose blood has saved us for our God by His love.”

And still further along,

”But then why on earth would God take a black, Roman Catholic Christian, and send him out in order to inspire the hearts of people whom the whole world believes to be against blacks and Roman Catholics, in spite of their Christianity? If the demon of racial prejudice stands between you and what God wants, then I'm here to challenge you: you won't get what you want for this country until you cast that demon out. If the demon of sectarian bigotry stands between you and what God wants, you won't get what God wants for this country until you cast that demon aside.”

Keyes knew where he was in spite of his sermonizing and he spoke about another Bob Jones specialty: antiSemitism. Has Bob Jones cast out the demon and will Bush appear there again?

Can you really believe any explanation for this. He was criticized at the time and the purpose of his visit made obvious in the press. The 'I'm a uniter' nonsense did not notwithstand it. McCain didn't go and he has to be respected for that, by all who are not racist or who are not willing to use it. But that is just the point. Where would the Republican party be today without it?

You started this thread asking if Bush is racist and then give us quotes from someone else. Do you have any reason to believe Bush is a racist?

Keyes quotes were in response to an 'its okay response' because a lot of other people have spoken at Bob Jones University. Keyes was the odd ball because he was Black. That needed explaining, but the quotes also emphasize the audience that Bush was talking to.

No. I don't think Bush is racist. I think he is just following recent Republican tradition to use racism to get elected. I believe that Bush represents the 'rich man' tradition of the Republican party which since the 1960s has found a very powerful face issue, racism, along with God, guns, and other distractions, to get its ecomonic agenda into law, via the presidency and Congress. I hear very little about these basics on this board. Most of the discussion seems to amount to little more than cheerleading.

Originally posted by BlackMan
I hear very little about these basics on this board. Most of the discussion seems to amount to little more than cheerleading.

Then you're reading the wrong threads. We've got plenty of both rascist and non-rascist conservatives on this board.

I think what Dr. Keyes was referring to was Bob Jones University's image. I don't believe he feels that Bob Jones University is an institution that cultivates rascist ideologies, only that that was how it was perceived by others. After all, they did invite him to speak there.

He commented on the common bond of the christian religion, which as many people interpret it, does not condone racial hatred (our resident Nazis may dispute that however).

"The University is very selective in who they ask to speak. They must be men of impeccable character and integrity. They also must be men not loved by the national media. If the media likes a candidate then all decent people should not vote for that candidate. Dr. Keyes is a man who does not say what is expected of him; he says what is in his heart, soul, and character." -Bob Jones

That doesn't sound like a rascist to me.

GEORGE W. BUSH RUBS MAN'S HEAD FOR "LUCK" IN DISPLAY OF APPARENT RACIST IGNORANCE

* C O U N T E R B I A S . C O M E X C L U S I V E *

George W. Bush recently displayed a glimpse of his dark side as he partook in a public display of racial insensitivity.

Before speaking to a March 3rd Los Angeles audience at the White House Conference on Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, Mr Bush was introduced by an African-American male, whose head Mr Bush proceeded to rub while grinning and smirking.

The man, identified as Alphonso Jackson, acting Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, appeared somewhat bewildered while still preserving an appearance of happiness to welcome Mr. Bush.

As an individual in letter published online wrote, rubbing an African American's head for luck was at one time thought of as a "joke amongst those who didn't generally say "black person" when referring to one". He noted that the racist practice "may well have faded into obscurity", but would've been "a good way to lose a hand" in more multi-racial neighborhoods in the late seventies and early eighties.

Mr. Bush has long been thought of by many as a stereotypical elitist with a notably racist, anti-black attitude, but this latest misadventure lends credence to such an assumption.

If the intent was not a racist one, the event did make Mr. Bush appear somewhat condescending, as well as disrespectful of a high-ranking government official.

This Bush theme needs more exposure. Concerning Bob Jones University, in an attempt to rescue Bush in 2000, Bob Jones III went on Larry King to say that the policy against racial-dating on campus would cease. Made we wonder if there were any Blacks at the University to applaud. However, he continued to make clear that the Bible mandates a separation of the races, even while being unable to quote any Bible scripture supporting the idea. The idea is just old time Jim Crow. In any case, I don't think Bush wanted to be rescued. He just wanted to be helped back into the closet.

Originally posted by Zhukov
When one looks for rascism everywhere, they will see it everywhere.

And when one looks for rascism in the Republican party they will see it there.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Examples?

You know.... I'm just going to start this off by making it a wide open discussion...

What are the major racial or prejudicial or equality based issues in America?

Feel free to contribute any answers to those questions.

Originally posted by LoneVoice
You know.... I'm just going to start this off by making it a wide open discussion...

Why do you answer a question with a question?

You made it clear that one must only look at republicans to see racism. Surely you can easily cite examples.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Why do you answer a question with a question?

You made it clear that one must only look at republicans to see racism. Surely you can easily cite examples.

First of all, you're wrong there. I never said ONLY look at Republicans to see racism.

Second, we both know that if I cited any examples, you would automatically disagree, right away.

By making it an open ended discussion, we could at least agree on what the major issues are. Where we go from there, is probably where the disagreements would begin. Also, by keeping it open ended to begin with, you might provide some examples that I hadn't figured on. So, that's the point, here's everyone's chance to contribute without having to take sides on anything yet.

When we have a few suggestions, then I'm sure we'll be able to find something to disagree on.

Originally posted by Hannitized
That would fit under "everywhere" wouldn't it? Do you think all Republicans are rascists or all rascists are Republicans? :rolleyes:
To answer your questions....
Nope.

I mentioned this topic a few weeks ago and it was just avoided. LoneVoice, your challenge was well taken. They ask, give me an example, in spite of the fact that the guy who started this thread started out with a good one. You will find many of these Republican posters in denial about a lot of things, and when basic issues are brought up, they tend to hide from them by responding with emotional inanities or claims that there are no examples. If Republicans don't know that racism is a staple of their party, then they are either too young or untutored in their own history or closet racists unwilling to recognize their association with the red-necks and ignorance of Jim Crow and its Northern counterparts.

Originally posted by shergald
I mentioned this topic a few weeks ago and it was just avoided.

That's simply not true. You received many responses, just none to your liking. Do only replies you agree with count?

Originally posted by LoneVoice

Here are some major issues:
Affirmative action
Religious tolerance
Gay Rights

Forum List

Back