Is BP capping the well?

This has got to work!

:eusa_pray: :eusa_pray: :eusa_pray:

Delicately manipulating a 20-foot-long shear at depths of nearly a mile, technicians successfully snipped a key riser pipe on Thursday in their effort to contain the oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico from a stricken undersea well. They prepared to cap the severed pipe later in the day with a dome that they hoped would allow them to funnel the oil to tankers on the surface.

Coast Guard Admiral Says Gulf Oil Pipe Is Cut - NYTimes.com

Latest was we'll know if this attempt will work within the next couple of days. The good news is this fix may work. The bad news is that it could be as late as December for the next fix if this one fails. That is simply mind boggling to me.

I want the leak plugged and I don't want to see this happen ever again.

I am pro oil production, etc., and 99% of those platforms in the Gulf and elsewhere have proved to actually be good for that environment. I have no problem with off shore drilling that is done responsibly and with the proper safeguards.

But they should NOT be drilling wells they can't fix if something goes wrong.

sk0528j20100528030925.jpg

Last edited:

I see the cap, I think. Can you believe we are cheering for BP. Oh Please get it right this time!

Personally, I've been "cheering" for BP since the start, as they are the only ones attempting to stop the flow... Up to now the attempts haven't worked, but they a.) are trying to stop the flow and b.) are very informative of the procedures they are attempting...

I am watching it on CNN, and found this on MSM:

BP slices oil pipe in 'significant step forward' - Disaster in the Gulf- msnbc.com

It won't be known how much oil BP can siphon to the surface until the cap is fitted, but the irregular cut means that the fit won't be as snug as officials had hoped.

The next chance for stopping the flow won't come until two relief wells meant to plug the reservoir for good are finished in August.

BP Chief Executive Officer Tony Hayward said the company should know in 12 to 24 hours whether its latest effort will contain the Gulf oil spill, though he conceded the attempt is risky.

Hayward said the risk had been reduced after a major pipe was cut away earlier in the day. Government officials have warned that cutting away the pipe could, at least temporarily, increase the flow of oil by 20 percent.

Hayward said the company will be on the Gulf coast for a long time cleaning up the spill and will continue until every drop of oil is recovered.

Forum List

Back