Is Belgium Leading Europe Getting Ready For Next War?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Annie, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1287

The enemies don't really change all that much.

2. Zieveraar

Zieveraar Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So I've been searching for more information regarding these rather impressive claims. It would have been impossible to have kept this out of the news entirely, if it were true.

On the same site I found this: http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1288

It is a Dutch text unfortunately, so either translate it or trust my word on it. (which most won't as I'm a new poster, I have no problems with that)

The text includes quotes from a Senate hearing on the 4th of May 2006 and was used as basis for the text you posted, however.

It explicitly states that most archives were destroyed due to bad management. Most of them were NOT destroyed out of a political motive, but mostly because there were bad archivists who didn't knew, realised or cared what they were doing.

Local police offices lost a lot of their archives due to renovations, dumping documents without even checking what is thrown away. (which isn't uncommon, recent years showed that the government has no problems simply throwing out private documents regarding tax information, for everyone to find instead of destroying it)

The intent of the investigation by the SOMA (Studie- en Documentatiecentrum Oorlog en Hedendaagse Maatschappij: Study and Documentation centre for War and Contemporary Society) was to see what parts of the government actively played a part of the capture and deportation of Jewish citizens.

It is impossible, due to the disappearance and gross negligence (mostly in the French part of the country, meaning Wallonie) to give a complete answer.

The archives were kept in Antwerp, but not in Brussels. A problem, as those two cities had the largest groups of Jewish people (Antwerp still does in Belgium). Antwerp had a lot more problems with collaboration than Brussels (they cooperated with the Germans the most in Belgium), but only for Antwerp can there be any certainty now how much the local government there cooperated with the Germans. It is possible that the archives in Brussels were deliberately destroyed, which would be a real pity as that was the place were most collaboration trials were held. So all the files about collaboration trials are gone.

It is surprising that the people of Luik were so cooperative with the Germans, knowing what those butchers did to that city in WW I, but that's something else.

Before Germany invaded Belgium, the Belgian government arrested a whole bunch of Belgians they thought to be spies or too closely linked with Germany. They also arrested German citizens, including the Jewish Germans who fled the Nazis. It wasn't that illogical imo. This is similar to arresting and putting in camps a whole bunch of Japanese Americans.

3. Zieveraar

Zieveraar Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Question though Kathianne, what does the heading of your post refer to?