Is Beauty a Blessing or a Curse?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Beauty can open doors. But beauty can be used as a crutch and I've known girls who used it in very mischievious ways. What do you think?

Then I guess you answered your own question - it can be both...

According to some of my family members it's a curse, I wouldn't know.....HEH !

Where do you want to take the discussion? I remember sitting with a couple of peers--we are all women in our fifites--out at the meditation center. One of our young and beautiful sangha members walked by across the lawn in an indian sari, her long hair flowing behind her.

My friend turned us and said "we used to look like that" and we laughed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found it to be a bit of a curse.Men are insanely jealous of me, and often turn to childish name calling to get at me.I, of course, never rise to the bait.:cool:

$69622430.UTXuZDN2.MacPuke.gif

but I'm gonna rep you for making me laugh

I have found it to be a bit of a curse.Men are insanely jealous of me, and often turn to childish name calling to get at me.I, of course, never rise to the bait.:cool:

See---you are blessed, Roomy. Besides being beautiful you have also learned how to deal with insanely jealous men .

See---you are blessed, Roomy. Besides being beautiful you have also learned how to deal with insanely jealous men .

Being perfect in every way is a blessing I must admit.I was playing the humility card earlier.:cool:

It's both.

As many people who treat you well because of your looks?

Just as many people hate you on sight.

Plus if you're a good looking man some people assume (or wish which ends up being just as bad) you're gay and vain.

A good looking woman, and some people assume you're vain and stupid and shallow.

The tyrants of mediocrity attack everyone who is off the bell curve no matter what curve we're talking about.

Too smart, too dumb, too tall or short fat or thin, attractive or ugly, it doesn't really matter.

It's a burden and a blessing depending on your audience.

That's what's nice about the internet, isn't it?

You are judged on something other than what you look like.

Last edited:

I had a friend in high school who was petite and the looks of Paula Abdul. I knew she was smart and savvy, but she didn't make wise decisions. A lot of girls disliked her because she was pretty and was jealous. I liked her because she had self-confidence. Unfortunately, she relied too heavily on her looks and never paid attention to her studies. She sought the easy way out of things. I don't think she reached her full potential. There are so many aspects to a women, not just the physical, and a lot of women never sought to harvest those areas.

It also depends on what kind of personality you have. I find women, generally, to be petty and insanely jealous. One of my friendships ended because of the jealousy. She even admitted that she had this flaw, but I didn't believe her until it was too late. I think most women want to have friends that make them look good, but once someone else gets the spotlight, they are not interested in the friendship. So if you want to have lots of friends, beauty can be a curse.

I had a friend in high school who was petite and the looks of Paula Abdul. I knew she was smart and savvy, but she didn't make wise decisions. A lot of girls disliked her because she was pretty and was jealous. I liked her because she had self-confidence. Unfortunately, she relied too heavily on her looks and never paid attention to her studies. She sought the easy way out of things. I don't think she reached her full potential. There are so many aspects to a women, not just the physical, and a lot of women never sought to harvest those areas.

It also depends on what kind of personality you have. I find women, generally, to be petty and insanely jealous. One of my friendships ended because of the jealousy. She even admitted that she had this flaw, but I didn't believe her until it was too late. I think most women want to have friends that make them look good, but once someone else gets the spotlight, they are not interested in the friendship. So if you want to have lots of friends, beauty can be a curse.

I don't have any friends, and am happy:cool:

Where do you want to take the discussion? I remember sitting with a couple of peers--we are all women in our fifites--out at the meditation center. One of our young and beautiful sangha members walked by across the lawn in an indian sari, her long hair flowing behind her.

My friend turned us and said "we used to look like that" and we laughed.

If your avatar is a photo of you, I believe that you do "look like that."

Part of the beauty comes from inner self-confidence and I find women in their forties and fifties have more of it than their younger counterparts. Pretty soon I will be joining the forties set and I have no problem with that.

If your avatar is a photo of you, I believe that you do "look like that."

Part of the beauty comes from inner self-confidence and I find women in their forties and fifties have more of it than their younger counterparts. Pretty soon I will be joining the forties set and I have no problem with that.

Absolutely correct, it wasn't until I hit my 40's that the dawning came over me, It doesn't get any better than this:cool:

It's both.

As many people who treat you well because of your looks?

Just as many people hate you on sight.

Plus if you're a good looking man some people assume (or wish which ends up being just as bad) you're gay and vain.

A good looking woman, and some people assume you're vain and stupid and shallow.

The tyrants of mediocrity attack everyone who is off the bell curve no matter what curve we're talking about.

Too smart, too dumb, too tall or short fat or thin, attractive or ugly, it doesn't really matter.

It's a burden and a blessing depending on your audience.

That's what's nice about the internet, isn't it?

You are judged on something other than what you look like.

You are judged on whether your words are ugly or beautiful, thoughtful and intelligent or knee jerk and stupid.

You're judged on what posters imagine you look like.

I'm basing my decision on beauty on the big picture. While all the opportunites it provides you with may not seem pleasant at the time, you ARE noticed and have chances to learn where others may not.

Forum List

Back