Is Baker Mayfield the next Jim MacMahon?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Do you see any similarities? I really see parallels in the cocky, supremely confident attitude. Whether he actually gets to the top like MacMahon did, only time will tell. But the guy is a play maker and creates his own throwing lanes. Short QBs have to, but it seems to be natural for him.

Do you see any similarities? I really see parallels in the cocky, supremely confident attitude. Whether he actually gets to the top like MacMahon did, only time will tell. But the guy is a play maker and creates his own throwing lanes. Short QBs have to, but it seems to be natural for him.
We could have the second coming of Joe Montana and we would not know it if he were on the Browns! It takes a line and receivers for a QB to be successful in the NFL!

We could have the second coming of Joe Montana and we would not know it if he were on the Browns! It takes a line and receivers for a QB to be successful in the NFL!
So what do you think now? I'm not a Browns fan but I'm a Baker Mayfield fan, that's why I started this thread back in pre-season. I see a lot of Jim MacMahon in this kid. He's just a leader.

Why did they start tyrod Taylor to begin with is why I want to know

So what do you think now? I'm not a Browns fan but I'm a Baker Mayfield fan, that's why I started this thread back in pre-season. I see a lot of Jim MacMahon in this kid. He's just a leader.
There are many similarities yes!

No.

Baker Mayfield is the next Baker Mayfield.

If you want to compare him to anyone, it would be Doug Flutie.

Why Flutie? Mayfield isn't playing in another league, he's 3 inches taller than Flutie, he was drafted first rather than 285th...do they have a similar play style?

Flutie played in 3 different leagues. Mayfiled is short like Flutie and they are also both mobile. McMahon wasn't all that mobile. I mean he was, but not as good as Flutie and Mayfield. Flutie and Mayfield also both won the Heisman.

No.

Why Flutie? Mayfield isn't playing in another league, he's 3 inches taller than Flutie, he was drafted first rather than 285th...do they have a similar play style?

Flutie played in 3 different leagues. Mayfiled is short like Flutie and they are also both mobile. McMahon wasn't all that mobile. I mean he was, but not as good as Flutie and Mayfield. Flutie and Mayfield also both won the Heisman.

Flutie was 5'10", Mayfield is 6'2". Not that I am trying to compare Mayfield to McMahon. :) I just don't know enough about Mayfield to know why you had compared him to Flutie, so thanks for the response.

Mayfield measured 6' 1/2 " at the Senior bowl. He and Jim MacMahon are nearly identical in height but my comparison is based more on the natural leadership and fearlessness he brings to the field. If you watched the Thursday night game it was night and day between Tyrod Taylor in the first half and Mayfield in the second half.

NFL sux. Just unwatchable..... even before the kneeling controversy

Thanks
-Geaux

No.

Flutie was 5'10", Mayfield is 6'2". Not that I am trying to compare Mayfield to McMahon. :) I just don't know enough about Mayfield to know why you had compared him to Flutie, so thanks for the response.

Maybe he is talking about spunk, take a hit, being a positive presence in the locker room?

I remember when Jimmy played on the eagles an randel got hurt they thought he was the 2nd coming or something.

I have not been following Mayfield maybe I should and see.

His play is more of a Drew Brees mold to me.

Saw nearly every game McMahon played and while a colorful personality he was a mediocre QB in a one-dimensional Walter Payton offense but eventually aided by the best NFL defense of the time, Buddy Ryan’s 46 and its merry cast of extremely badass intimidators allowed to run wild in its scheme. A very brutal bunch of boys back when football was football in a controlled mayhem sort of way.

Saw nearly every game McMahon played and while a colorful personality he was a mediocre QB in a one-dimensional Walter Payton offense but eventually aided by the best NFL defense of the time, Buddy Ryan’s 46 and its merry cast of extremely badass intimidators allowed to run wild in its scheme. A very brutal bunch of boys back when football was football in a controlled mayhem sort of way.

Rex was a medicore QB , Jimmy and that defense would of beat the colts

I see the Drew Brees similarity. I was talking about the combination of the rebellious/leadership personality and play making ability with the MacMahon comparison.

I see the Drew Brees similarity. I was talking about the combination of the rebellious/leadership personality and play making ability with the MacMahon comparison.
I’m with you on that aspect.

Forum List

Back