Is Atheism Depressing?

That's fine, but don't muse on the meaning of Christianity if you can't be bothered to read their manual.

Actually reading the entire bible is a surefire way to become an atheist, and has worked for many former christians. Just ask any that are in seminary. The biblical studies courses that discuss authorship is a huge source of atheist conversion, because people of faith discover that the bible is not reliable as a historical document, at all. John, Luke, Matt, and Mark were not the names of the people who wrote the four gospels, and it is widely known that the gospels of Luke and Matt plagiarize from Mark and another document called "Q." There are no contemporary extra-biblical historical accounts confirming any of the events in the bible concerning Jesus or his miracles or most of the OT.

Uh huh. That explains why all the people who have read the bible are atheists.

Actually reading the entire bible is a surefire way to become an atheist

I'm not even religious and this statement is absurd. Does this also mean that reading the entire works of L. Ron Hubbard is a surefire way to reject Scientology?

Actually reading the entire bible is a surefire way to become an atheist

I'm not even religious and this statement is absurd. Does this also mean that reading the entire works of L. Ron Hubbard is a surefire way to reject Scientology?
Absolutely, Ronnie was a terrible writer.

Quality of writing was not my point. That there are plenty of Christians AND Scientologists who have read the entirety of either is.

He knows a lot about vintage volkswagen vans...i.e., kennels on wheels...

Yeah, that makes sense. Rev. Jim probably has spent most of his life in a VW Bus. It even ran, 30 years ago...

Naw... 30-40 years ago I was into racing and driving Mini Coopers, French version 911 S's, Limo's and Cessna Twins.

This 69 VW bus I've had for about a year and a half. It makes sense with the two large dogs. The drum brakes make driving "interesting" ...the heaters suck.. But for a vintage vehicle it's pretty cool. I actually drive the Cadillac El Dorado more than the VW in this cold weather.

Were did this "Rev Jim" thing come from? Who the hell was the "Rev Jim" guy anyway?

He knows a lot about vintage volkswagen vans...i.e., kennels on wheels...

Yeah, that makes sense. Rev. Jim probably has spent most of his life in a VW Bus. It even ran, 30 years ago...

Naw... 30-40 years ago I was into racing and driving Mini Coopers, French version 911 S's, Limo's and Cessna Twins.

This 69 VW bus I've had for about a year and a half. It makes sense with the two large dogs. The drum brakes make driving "interesting" ...the heaters suck.. But for a vintage vehicle it's pretty cool. I actually drive the Cadillac El Dorado more than the VW in this cold weather.

Were did this "Rev Jim" thing come from? Who the hell was the "Rev Jim" guy anyway?

I'm pretty sure Rev. Jim is a reference to the character Jim Ignatowski on the sitcom "Taxi."

jim-ignatowski-pic.jpg

{
Bobby Wheeler: [Bobby helps Jim fill out his test] Have you ever experienced loss of consciousness, hallucinations, dizzy spells, convulsive disorders, fainting, or periods of loss of memory?
Reverend Jim Ignatowski: Hasn't everyone?
Elaine O'Connor-Nardo: Put no.
Bobby Wheeler: Mental illness or narcotic addiction?
Reverend Jim Ignatowski: That's a tough choice.
Elaine O'Connor-Nardo: Put no!
Bobby Wheeler: OK, that's it! You ready for the test.
Reverend Jim Ignatowski: I thought that was the test!
}
Reverend Jim Ignatowski (Character) - Quotes

I'm not making this up. I shouldn't have said it is a "surefire" way, but it can have that effect. This is simply because people don't actually read the entire bible, especially christians. They will cherry pick the parts of the NT that they think, or were taught, are central to their doctrine, and go no further. When these people read the OT and discover that god is a depicted as genocidal, megalomaniacal hypocrite who blatantly contradicts himself by violating his own commandments over and over again, it becomes harder to maintain faith. Therefore, my statement stands. This is based on anecdotes of people who have read the bible, and because of it, no longer believed. The most shocking cases are of those studying to become priests, and can't handle the biblical authorship and historicity courses, because they show just how dubious the bible is, in terms of authorship and historicity.

I'm not making this up. I shouldn't have said it is a "surefire" way, but it can have that effect. This is simply because people don't actually read the entire bible, especially christians. They will cherry pick the parts of the NT that they think, or were taught, are central to their doctrine, and go no further. When these people read the OT and discover that god is a depicted as genocidal, megalomaniacal hypocrite who blatantly contradicts himself by violating his own commandments over and over again, it becomes harder to maintain faith. Therefore, my statement stands. This is based on anecdotes of people who have read the bible, and because of it, no longer believed. The most shocking cases are of those studying to become priests, and can't handle the biblical authorship and historicity courses, because they show just how dubious the bible is, in terms of authorship and historicity.

And most Christians I have known study it closely, but yes, "surefire" was a very bad choice of words, and pretty blowhard-y if you ask me. But, like I keep saying, this is pretty much exclusively an observational thread from the beginning, so anything goes, really.

Seattle is chock full of atheists ...just legalized pot. Fags are marrying all over the damned place ...

And as involved in football as you guys and that homo that used to QB the Broncos are..

and YOUR god just let the Seahawks win 58 to nothing. ???

Atheism depressing?? Suck it bitches ... you have the depressing lives.. We are going to the Super Bowl..!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Seattle is chock full of atheists ...just legalized pot. Fags are marrying all over the damned place ...

And as involved in football as you guys and that homo that used to QB the Broncos are..

and YOUR god just let the Seahawks win 58 to nothing. ???

Atheism depressing?? Suck it bitches ... you have the depressing lives.. We are going to the Super Bowl..!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

And when I say anything goes, I mean AAAAAAANYTHING.

jim-ignatowski-pic.jpg

{
Bobby Wheeler: [Bobby helps Jim fill out his test] Have you ever experienced loss of consciousness, hallucinations, dizzy spells, convulsive disorders, fainting, or periods of loss of memory?
Reverend Jim Ignatowski: Hasn't everyone?
Elaine O'Connor-Nardo: Put no.
Bobby Wheeler: Mental illness or narcotic addiction?
Reverend Jim Ignatowski: That's a tough choice.
Elaine O'Connor-Nardo: Put no!
Bobby Wheeler: OK, that's it! You ready for the test.
Reverend Jim Ignatowski: I thought that was the test!
}
Reverend Jim Ignatowski (Character) - Quotes

Wise beyond his years! :D My hair never looked that bad in my whole life. :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back