Is anyone interested in metal detecting?

Can people go into mountains, forrests, parks and metal detect or do you have to get permission from city and forrest ranger?
The way our crazy laws are. I would definitely get permission. I hunt parks, schools, and private property. Those areas are pretty much a go.

Does anyone ever come up to you when you are doing it and how do you handle it?

Can people go into mountains, forrests, parks and metal detect or do you have to get permission from city and forrest ranger?
I haven't seen any "no metal detectors allowed signs" at any of the parks I've been to; however, some park officials may get upset if you start digging holes looking for stuff.
Ive seen newbies dig holes and never cover them up. Then some kid or adult comes along and breaks their ankle. It’s a lot more to detecting than just going out and doing it blindly. If you do decide to purchase one. Read up on how to dig you’re holes and cover them up. There are alot of good metal detecting sites on the net.

The way our crazy laws are. I would definitely get permission. I hunt parks, schools, and private property. Those areas are pretty much a go.

Does anyone ever come up to you when you are doing it and how do you handle it?
Mostly little kids I tell them to fuck off lol not really. I explain to them what I’m doing. Most are just curious. The adults ask me if I’ve ever found anything. The conversation starts off of them knowing some place they remembered when they we’re a kid. I ask the older folks where old parks or picnic areas use to be. They are a wealth of information.

I haven't seen any "no metal detectors allowed signs" at any of the parks I've been to; however, some park officials may get upset if you start digging holes looking for stuff.

Repack what you dig. Careful with fed and state parks. Know of a guy who found a 6 pound cannon ball over on the Trinity River in a fed campground, and they confiscated it.

I found a similar one, and it is thought to be a Texas militia cannon ball from 1835 or 1836.

74E64D11-61D0-46FA-8DE6-FEE888EBD44A.jpeg
This is my Etrac. I want to go detecting but it’s so damn hot.

I am just learning about it. My boyfriend bought me a metal detector. When I was in Vegas in May my brother in law was showing me all the cool stuff he has found with his metal detector and also how to pan for gold.

I don't really know where to start but he gave me some gold prospector magazines that were nice.

Go to Australia, look at what this guy found with one.

Massive $80G gold nugget discovered in Australia by retired man who's been searching area for years

Forum List

Back