Is Anyone Else Here Beside Myself an Audiophile?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I've pretty much been into radios then stereos and now home theaters for a long, long time. I've owned most major brands of receivers and countless brands of speakers. However, I've never owned or even been able to hear for that matter, any B&W speakers. I've found a pair of B&W DM601 S3's that I'm thinking of buying to use as surrounds in my home theater, and I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has heard B&W's or even owns them. I'd love to hear your opinion.

My theater:

TV: 55" LG LED LCD
Receiver: Onkyo TX NR808
Sony PS3 - Game counsel and bluray player
Stanton T.92 USB digital turn table
Front mains: Acoustic Research Classic 30's - rare, flagship model
Center: Wharfdale Diamond 9.CM
Subwoofers: Monster Cable THX200 - (two)
Rear Surrounds: crap - need replacing.

theater.jpg

Last edited:
o my o my...i am not...not at all....i dont have a radio/stereo still got a square tv...i have no clue what a sound bar is...but know that i will need one with a flat screen lol.....advice of hopeful friends that my square tv will die and i will be forced to ungrade....they are young.....i just fiddle with the tv till its fixed much to their dismay

nice oil lamps.....those i would like to see pics of

what all is on the top shelf on the left?

o my o my...i am not...not at all....i dont have a radio/stereo still got a square tv...i have no clue what a sound bar is...but know that i will need one with a flat screen lol.....advice of hopeful friends that my square tv will die and i will be forced to ungrade....they are young.....i just fiddle with the tv till its fixed much to their dismay

nice oil lamps.....those i would like to see pics of

what all is on the top shelf on the left?

Just a bunch of a little knick knacks and collectibles on the shelf bones, but here's the oil lamps. I've collected those for many years too. The green one on the left is what they call vaseline glass. It has depleted uranium in it and it glows under a black light. And then there's my Aladdin, which still needs a mantle...

lamps002.jpg

GreenLamp.jpg

lamps003.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like my Dorm Room back in the 80's when I was still single. I had a Denon turntable (can't remember which model) and a 300 watt amp (can't remember that model either) Went through various speaker combinations to include Bose 301's.
I sold most of it when I got sent back overseas and never replaced any of it.

nice lamps....you couldnt see but the top of the far left one ....in first pic....

but now i am off topic as always......

i dont do the music thing...i am comfie with silence.....but it drives my ipod friends crazy....i still enjoy the art of conversation....there is nothing wrong with light jazz....and classics but damn this new stuff...

i like the sounds of silence......lol....damn i need to bitch slap myself for that

nice lamps....you couldnt see but the top of the far left one ....in first pic....

but now i am off topic as always......

i dont do the music thing...i am comfie with silence.....but it drives my ipod friends crazy....i still enjoy the art of conversation....there is nothing wrong with light jazz....and classics but damn this new stuff...

i like the sounds of silence......lol....damn i need to bitch slap myself for that

No I'll tell ya bones, even though I'm still pretty heavy into my theater and the gear, I don't listen to it as much as I used to. I find myself more often than not nowadays sitting at my computer or cleaning or what not in total silence myself... until the ringing in my ears starts to get to me.

Looks like my Dorm Room back in the 80's when I was still single. I had a Denon turntable (can't remember which model) and a 300 watt amp (can't remember that model either) Went through various speaker combinations to include Bose 301's.
I sold most of it when I got sent back overseas and never replaced any of it.

So you're not a big home theater or stereo person either? Well, you're pretty much right in the vast majority. I don't have any friends that have anything close to my set up. They probably don't see the point in spending that kind of money on it. I have well over $10K invested in what's in the picture.

Still waiting to hear from someone who has or has heard Bowers & Wilkins speakers.

Lovely, Pale Rider. Thanks for sharing your passion for sound. My ears are so sensitive, I like low-key sounds such as pan flute music, but can't be around too much noise with the exception of birdsong and some classical music.

I love glass and collect blue glass items. Unfortunately, they don't photocopy well with my printer because they're too dimensional.

I see your christmas lights are up and about your stereo. That's so neat. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Still waiting to hear from someone who has or has heard Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
I "Googled" Bowers & Wilkins speakers. LOLed at the ones that look like streamlined cochlear implants! :D

I bet you didn't LOL at the price. They're world renowned, high end speakers. I do agree their look may be an acquired taste though. I have my eye on a different, conventional looking model. A lower end model actually, but loved and reviewed very well by owners and professionals none the less, the DM601 S3.

Doesn't look like there's going to be a single person on this board that owns or has heard Bowers & Wilkins either... bummer.

Last edited:
Lovely, Pale Rider. Thanks for sharing your passion for sound. My ears are so sensitive, I like low-key sounds such as pan flute music, but can't be around too much noise with the exception of birdsong and some classical music.

I love glass and collect blue glass items. Unfortunately, they don't photocopy well with my printer because they're too dimensional.

One of the nice things about a high end system like mine though, you don't have to crank the volume up until things are shaking on the walls to enjoy how good it sounds. It sounds wonderful at low volumes too. I have bad Tinnitus, so I usually turn it up until I can't hear the ringing in my ears, and that's probably a little louder than most would prefer it. I love it though. It's something to behold. Until you've been able to sit and listen to a high end system, you really don't have any idea how good it can really sound. Movies with the new HD Master sound tracks are intense, like Avatar.

One of the nice things about a high end system like mine though, you don't have to crank the volume up until things are shaking on the walls to enjoy how good it sounds. It sounds wonderful at low volumes too. I have bad Tinnitus, so I usually turn it up until I can't hear the ringing in my ears, and that's probably a little louder than most would prefer it. I love it though. It's something to behold. Until you've been able to sit and listen to a high end system, you really don't have any idea how good it can really sound. Movies with the new HD Master sound tracks are intense, like Avatar.
My dad had that ear stuff too. WWII and Korea. He was a sharpshooter. Too much noise. *sigh*

My dad had that ear stuff too. WWII and Korea. He was a sharpshooter. Too much noise. *sigh*

Ya, that'll do it. It was 6 1/2 years on the flight line in the Air Force listening to fighter jets that did it for me.

Forum List

Back