Is an NFL deal likely any time soon?

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
From Rotoworld.com:

Citing multiple sources, CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman reports a deal could be reached between the owners and players before the Eight Circuit issues a ruling on the lockout, likely in July.
The talks are delicate, and a settlement hinges on keeping the attorneys out of the negotiating room. SI.com's Peter King backs Freeman's report while making it clear that a deal is no sure thing. "But I'm more optimistic about a settlement than I've been in a while," adds King. Tom Brady, whose name headlines the anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL, is "relatively confident" that a deal will be struck. Source: CBSSports.com Jun 4, 8:27 PM

I think there's a good chance a deal will be made by the end of this month. Otherwise a lot of people are going to start to get very angry. And there's a lot of money on the table.

God forbid there shouldn't be an NFL season this year. I may actually have to do something productive on my Sundays! :lol:

I am VERY confident that if they do get a deal done before the litigation is complete, it will be one that I cannot support or agree with and that will end my ability to continue watching or supporting the NFL in any way.

I am VERY confident that if they do get a deal done before the litigation is complete, it will be one that I cannot support or agree with and that will end my ability to continue watching or supporting the NFL in any way.

It the NFL ends up like MLB where you've only got a half dozen good teams and a bunch of poor ones, then I'm out too.

It the NFL ends up like MLB where you've only got a half dozen good teams and a bunch of poor ones, then I'm out too.

If it DOESN'T end up that way, I'm out. We're on opposite sides of the philosophical fence on this one, Wiseacre. I'm completely and totally AGAINST, the salary cap, revenue sharing, parity, and everything else the 1994 CBA has brought to the NFL. If the owners are stupid enough to allow that sort of thing to happen again, there is no way I can continue to support the worthless product they've been putting on the field for the last 17 years.

If it DOESN'T end up that way, I'm out. We're on opposite sides of the philosophical fence on this one, Wiseacre. I'm completely and totally AGAINST, the salary cap, revenue sharing, parity, and everything else the 1994 CBA has brought to the NFL. If the owners are stupid enough to allow that sort of thing to happen again, there is no way I can continue to support the worthless product they've been putting on the field for the last 17 years.

So, one of us will be sorely disappointed. Look, we've got 32 teams, some in large markets and some in smaller ones. If you don't have the salary caps, revenue sharing, and so on, then you've got a few uber rich guys like George Steinbrenner buying the top talent every year and winning championships. And 25-30 other teams with no shot. Sorry, count me out of that.

So, one of us will be sorely disappointed. Look, we've got 32 teams, some in large markets and some in smaller ones. If you don't have the salary caps, revenue sharing, and so on, then you've got a few uber rich guys like George Steinbrenner buying the top talent every year and winning championships. And 25-30 other teams with no shot. Sorry, count me out of that.

Pretty much, Wiseacre. One of us is going to have a lot more free time on Sundays within the next year or so.

First off, given the Ultimate NFL Power, I'd contract 8 teams. Return to a 24 team league. I'd do so by starting with all the teams that have never won a Super Bowl, never been to a Super Bowl, and then to those who have had the longest droughts in the playoffs. I did the legwork on it a while back, and the league I came up with didn't look too bad. Unfortunatly the paperwork from doing it has been lost. If I've got some time, maybe I'll redo it.

If your team/owner can't come up with the funds to be competitive, maybe you shouldn't have a team to begin with.

Pretty much, Wiseacre. One of us is going to have a lot more free time on Sundays within the next year or so.

First off, given the Ultimate NFL Power, I'd contract 8 teams. Return to a 24 team league. I'd do so by starting with all the teams that have never won a Super Bowl, never been to a Super Bowl, and then to those who have had the longest droughts in the playoffs. I did the legwork on it a while back, and the league I came up with didn't look too bad. Unfortunatly the paperwork from doing it has been lost. If I've got some time, maybe I'll redo it.

If your team/owner can't come up with the funds to be competitive, maybe you shouldn't have a team to begin with.

Not only has my team (Detroit Lions) never won an SB, they've never even been to one yet. And not only that, they've only won one playoff game, against the Cowboys.

Telling somebody they shouldn't have a team to begin with is best done anonymously over the internet. Don't be saying that out loud in a bar somewhere. LOL, the rest of us would of course miss your sterling contributions to the discussions around here. :razz:

Not only has my team (Detroit Lions) never won an SB, they've never even been to one yet. And not only that, they've only won one playoff game, against the Cowboys.

Telling somebody they shouldn't have a team to begin with is best done anonymously over the internet. Don't be saying that out loud in a bar somewhere. LOL, the rest of us would of course miss your sterling contributions to the discussions around here. :razz:

Wise, I live in the center of the fanbase of one of the teams I believe should be contracted.... The New England Patriots. Trust me, I'm well aware of the animosity that can be created when you tell someone that the team they follow isn't worth what comes out the back end of my animals.

Here are the 24 teams I would keep based solely on their performance over the years. This is based on NFL Championships, Super Bowl Championships, and Super Bowl appearances. Championships and appearances prior to 1994 are weighted higher than Championships and appearances post 1994....

Green Bay, New York Jets, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Detroit, Dallas, Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland, San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, New York Giants, Minnesota, Philadelphis, Cincinnatti, New England, Buffalo, Denver, Saint Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and San Diego.

You already have that.

Forum List

Back