Is American military bureaucracy fundamentally wasteful and inefficient?

I have heard over and over again that bureaucracies waste time, energy, and resources.Many soldiers are confessing to huge amounts of resources being wasted in the US army. Is it just the American system, or is the private sector more efficient than government in every situation?
Are we spending too much for armed forces ineffectively?
887.jpg
HELL YEA there's a ton of waste.

most of it's over priced tools are useless but required stuff.

I had have a bronze screwdriver when working with some gear, but b/c it was bronze, it would chip and become useless quickly, if I recall, it cost ~ $300. For a nickles worth of shrink wrap we were able to work much faster and just as safe.

We also had to have plastic screwdrivers.

yea, go ahead and reread that.

In 9.5 years I never used it, but it had to be kept in good shape.

I have heard over and over again that bureaucracies waste time, energy, and resources.Many soldiers are confessing to huge amounts of resources being wasted in the US army. Is it just the American system, or is the private sector more efficient than government in every situation?
887.jpg

I had have a bronze screwdriver when working with some gear, but b/c it was bronze, it would chip and become useless quickly, if I recall, it cost ~ $300. For a nickles worth of shrink wrap we were able to work much faster and just as safe.

Years ago, I was reading through some microfilm of QPL's (Qualified Parts List). On the list I noticed crucifixes. Out of curiosity I looked up the specification and qualified vendors. As it turned out, there were only two qualified vendors. I find out why when I look at the specification which called for environmental testing to see if the crucifixes could withstand the rigors of salt spray, sand and dust, and fungus. I don't know what they cost but I suspect they weren't cheap.

887.jpg

Years ago, I was reading through some microfilm of QPL's (Qualified Parts List). On the list I noticed crucifixes. Out of curiosity I looked up the specification and qualified vendors. As it turned out, there were only two qualified vendors. I find out why when I look at the specification which called for environmental testing to see if the crucifixes could withstand the rigors of salt spray, sand and dust, and fungus. I don't know what they cost but I suspect they weren't cheap.
yea, anything that's sold on base pretty much needs to be durable, even the most absurd things need to come with standards.

The Navy 'dixie cup' had to have a certain thread count and have flame retardant.

the FR made the cup yellowish, so that had to be washed out or your uniform was considered dirty.
the thread count was so that if you should be stuck in the water you could use it as a flotation device.

I wish that was made up.

A Senate committee was created in WWII to keep some kind of handle on corruption by manufacturers of war goods. Truman headed the committee and found lots of overcharges waste etc. Government paying too much is more prevalent in a democracy and somewhat goes with the territory. Politicians expect their cut.

887.jpg

The military has moved away from specifications and QPLs for most standard equipment. A hammer is a hammer and they no longer instruct you on how to bake a cake

887.jpg

Said every leftist who supported the Soviet Union in the cold war.

Forum List

Back