CDZ Is America the greatest nation on Earth?

Is America the greatest nation on Earth?

• Total voters
So did we. 1808. Whoop tee do. But as far as the practice of owning people, we didn't do it until 1865 -- after everybody except Cuba and Brazil, both of whose colonial 'parents' had already abolished it.

So once again your mad at the founding fathers who the left proudly says founded this country and they were liberal according to you?

Nothing in that torrent was about the "founding fathers". It was entirely about this:

2Aguy said:
we have done more to free more people from slavery and poverty than any other country in the world...

So that got corrected. Hence the timeline, because clearly we did less than most --- not "more". That was a myth bust.

Meanwhile, back at the founding fathers --- yes, they were Liberals and designed this government based on Liberalism. With the self-contradiction that slavery wasn't done away with immediately, which led to the inevitable tensions for the proverbial four score and seven years.

Still haging on desperately to that myth that the founding fathers were Lefty's huh?

I've never claimed they were "leftys" or even "lefties". Ever.

I've always said they were Liberals. Which is true.

Not in today's definition and that's what you cling too.

There is no "today's definition". I keep telling you people I'm a linguistic archconservative.

There is an original definition, and that's what I cling to. There are also people walking around misusing the term, morphing it into its own opposite -- which of course is a contradiction. But that's their problem.

I just illustrated this for another poster --- imagine a football field. You're sitting on the 50. Two teams on the field, one trying to move the ball to the left, the other to the right. And each opposes the other. Those are obviously the 'left' and the 'right'.

The Liberal, however, is the referee. The ref never carries the ball, never makes a tackle. He just makes sure the playing field is even and nothing takes place out of bounds.

And of course from time to time one team or the other doesn't like the ref's call.

People that claim America is not the greatest nation on earth have never traveled outside of the nation. Some aging hippy freak teacher corrupted the young minds of the duped.

No choice for "don't know"?

Yanno those "best of (insert city)" polls run by local publications?

There's one in New Orleans (and maybe others) that includes the category "best place to have a baby" :uhh:
This question reminds me of that. You'd have to literally experience every country (or every hospital) to answer either one.

Far as I'm concerned the "best" country on earth is whatever one I'm in at the moment. I make the most of it.

Pogo touches on a fair point. Best country at what? There has to be some definition of what you're measuring to determine which is the best. I'd say it is safe to declare that the US sets the world standard in many areas, but will never be able to achieve the standards set by other countries in certain areas because of its sheer size and diversity.

Best at invading, best at expensive healthcare, best at baseball and basketball, best at having a border with Canada....
When a person focuses solely on the negative aspects of a thing, they can be said to be anti-

Wouldn't you agree?

Frigid is very ANTI. He is a negative person, toxic to be around I'm sure. Read his post, dude has real anger issues.

AMERICA IS NOT GREAT NO MORE!!!

It is quickly becoming a state that violates human rights against people for daring to be different. It is like Iran or Saudi Arabia. I am not proud of it anymore.
Well it was on it's way to that very thing until the middle of America set us back on track. You can be proud of America again.

Why Ecuador? Maybe I am bothered by the per capita income or proximity to Colombia.

Eh, it's just mysterious, being on the equator yet so high an elevation. Plus there's the Galapagos.

It's also one of those places that never shows up in the news. That's always a good thing.

Also has a nice high level of crime too.

Meh. So does Brazil, and I'd go there in a heartbeat.
Besides, as a matter of perspective we're sitting in a country that worships death, preferably by firearm, so almost anywhere is a step up from that mentality. There's physical death, and then there's spiritual death by a thousand cuts.

Well, there are other countries which are much safer, where you can go out at night even in the big cities. Personally I can't stand fearing for my life or other things.

I'm not aware of anywhere where crime is ubiquitous and evenly distributed --- that would literally be a war zone. Crime is localized in areas with the conditions that lead to it. If I went to, say, Brazil, I wouldn't be going to be a criminal. On the other hand I'd be far less likely to be a random victim in some wacko's mass shooting spree, and that's something that can't be pre-planned.

I lived in New Orleans during the time it was the murder capital of the country --- it didn't affect me in any way, it's just a statistic. Statistics count, but not for very much.

But then again it has a massive impact on your life. I went to Southern Africa for a while. You don't go out at night in Southern Africa, it's too dangerous. That has an impact on your life. In Brazil I'd assume it's the same. Certainly in other parts of Southern Africa I didn't go out at night, but some did and they were more likely to be exposed to crime.

The feeling that crime is there is not a great feeling, that it dictates how you live is also not a great feeling. I grew up in a place with relatively low crime and if it did happen you knew who had done, they all came from the same family.

There's also the fear that someone will try and break into your home etc. That sort of thing you can try and prevent and work to stop happening, but the more you have to work at it, the more you're worrying about it and the more it impacts your life.

There's one in New Orleans (and maybe others) that includes the category "best place to have a baby" :uhh:
This question reminds me of that. You'd have to literally experience every country (or every hospital) to answer either one.

Far as I'm concerned the "best" country on earth is whatever one I'm in at the moment. I make the most of it.

Pogo touches on a fair point. Best country at what? There has to be some definition of what you're measuring to determine which is the best. I'd say it is safe to declare that the US sets the world standard in many areas, but will never be able to achieve the standards set by other countries in certain areas because of its sheer size and diversity.

Best at invading, best at expensive healthcare, best at baseball and basketball, best at having a border with Canada....
When a person focuses solely on the negative aspects of a thing, they can be said to be anti-

Wouldn't you agree?

Frigid is very ANTI. He is a negative person, toxic to be around I'm sure. Read his post, dude has real anger issues.

No, you're a baiter and you're going on the ignore list. You have nothing sensible to bring to this debate, and you continually pretend you know people, when you clearly don't.

Bye, have a nice life making shit up.

Wouldn't you agree?

No, you're a baiter and you're going on the ignore list. You have nothing sensible to bring to this debate, and you continually pretend you know people, when you clearly don't.

Bye, have a nice life making shit up.

FYI- Ignore list is the liberal safe space. It's where they go when they have been exposed and can no longer stand up to The scrutiny.

Forum List

Back