Is America Losing Its Religion?

Wouldn't say 'losing' as much as 'rejecting' as more people see it for what it is.

Perhaps they are being taken up?

It is written that at the resurrection the Christian dead will be the first to rise.

:lol: But I think it probably has more to do with living in a quick information age where people can do more research and do it easier and faster. The recent surge in the popularity of critical scholarship about the Bible is probably contributing to that as well. Reading what scholars have to say abut the Bible is a great thing, but it can often cause people to really question their belief system. That's actually a good thing too, but what happens a lot is that people read scholarship and instead of simply adjusting their view of religion to accommodate new learning they throw the whole thing over their shoulder and walk away from it completely. That is a shame, because scholarship can, and ought to, enhance faith not destroy it.

Wouldn't say 'losing' as much as 'rejecting' as more people see it for what it is.

It is written that at the resurrection the Christian dead will be the first to rise.

:lol: But I think it probably has more to do with living in a quick information age where people can do more research and do it easier and faster. The recent surge in the popularity of critical scholarship about the Bible is probably contributing to that as well. Reading what scholars have to say abut the Bible is a great thing, but it can often cause people to really question their belief system. That's actually a good thing too, but what happens a lot is that people read scholarship and instead of simply adjusting their view of religion to accommodate new learning they throw the whole thing over their shoulder and walk away from it completely. That is a shame, because scholarship can, and ought to, enhance faith not destroy it.

Yes, and I think that finding a more rational way to interpret subjects like the resurrection of the "dead in Christ" in a way that conforms to and can be confirmed by reality as in the number of people actually abandoning ignorance and confusion for knowledge and understanding is a step in the right direction by edifying the faithful and not destroying faith.

Or they're just dropping out. "Who is John Galt?"...I mean, "Who is Jesus?"

I think on a more serious note, it's just that church and organized religion is just becoming less and less important in people's daily lives. Some people may want it, but for more and more Americans, it's just tradition they are using and they are just fine with a sort of non-denominational part-time Christians who believe in a God and Jesus died for our sins and they don't give it much more thought than that.

But the other piece to think about is what religion offers. It was fine when the vast majority of people were peasants living in perpetual pain and misery and squalor that there will be some eternal comfort as a reward. Just keep on keeping on and you'll earn all the physical joys in the next life. Well, we're at the point were most people in developed nations don't need to wait for the next life to have it good. We have full bellies, good healthcare, money, central heat and air, every toy known to man, and a universe of entertainment at our fingertips. Why worry about the good life after you're dead when you have it in the here and now?

People have always claimed to be associated with some religious belief even if they really weren't. Religion has always been thought of as a good thing, right up there with Mom and apple pie. Nobody wanted to admit they just didn't care. With the politicization of religion, it is no longer seen a some innocuous good thing, but more the vehicle used to limit people's rights and to force beliefs on others. The religious right is just another name for the tea party, and people just don't want to be associated with what is being done under the guise of religion.

America doesn't HAVE a 'religion'.

US Constitution

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

US Constitution

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

O course there is no national religion, but, if asked, most would claim some religious affiliation even if they hadn't been to church since they were a kid. The disgusting behavior by people who claim to be doing things in the name of religion is causing people to rethink the answer to that question.

Or they're just dropping out. "Who is John Galt?"...I mean, "Who is Jesus?"

I think on a more serious note, it's just that church and organized religion is just becoming less and less important in people's daily lives. Some people may want it, but for more and more Americans, it's just tradition they are using and they are just fine with a sort of non-denominational part-time Christians who believe in a God and Jesus died for our sins and they don't give it much more thought than that.

But the other piece to think about is what religion offers. It was fine when the vast majority of people were peasants living in perpetual pain and misery and squalor that there will be some eternal comfort as a reward. Just keep on keeping on and you'll earn all the physical joys in the next life. Well, we're at the point were most people in developed nations don't need to wait for the next life to have it good. We have full bellies, good healthcare, money, central heat and air, every toy known to man, and a universe of entertainment at our fingertips. Why worry about the good life after you're dead when you have it in the here and now?

I'm afraid I was being serious even if kidding on the square.

If the prophecies about the resurrection of the "dead in Christ" was ever true then the subject was never about the resumption of a former existence after physical death but entry into a new existence after enlightenment while still living in a physical body, abandoning what must be false and embracing what must be true, and in this way rising from death to life....

Last edited:
Pedestrian Perm

When I notice the social proliferation of various civilization-coordination conscious pop culture art avatars such as the fictional comic book super-villains Electro (Marvel Comics), a mutant who manipulates fields of electric energy, Scarecrow (DC Comics), a mad scientist who wields fear toxins against humanity, and Mysterio (Marvel Comics), a maniac who creates anarchy with death-traps and unpredictable explosives, I think about the new age social demand for translating spiritualism/sentimentalism into populism graffiti.

America is the world's hub of consumerism (i.e., Starbucks), and its figurehead position in the free market makes it a real fat cat. How does this affect the everyday American's view on religious traditions and formal temperance? Why are Americans fascinated by chaos-intrigue comic book avatars such as Mysterio (Marvel Comics)?

England has so many populism and folk story monoliths (i.e., Scotland Yard, Robin Hood, Camelot) that it seems easier for the English to translate religion into pedestrianism.

Where is America's connective fabric? How can Batman (DC Comics), a vigilant vigilante who tackles society's most criminally insane, help? Is Green Arrow (DC Comics) America's version of Robin Hoood?

:afro:

Green Arrow

hawk.jpg

Pedestrian Perm

When I notice the social proliferation of various civilization-coordination conscious pop culture art avatars such as the fictional comic book super-villains Electro (Marvel Comics), a mutant who manipulates fields of electric energy, Scarecrow (DC Comics), a mad scientist who wields fear toxins against humanity, and Mysterio (Marvel Comics), a maniac who creates anarchy with death-traps and unpredictable explosives, I think about the new age social demand for translating spiritualism/sentimentalism into populism graffiti.

America is the world's hub of consumerism (i.e., Starbucks), and its figurehead position in the free market makes it a real fat cat. How does this affect the everyday American's view on religious traditions and formal temperance? Why are Americans fascinated by chaos-intrigue comic book avatars such as Mysterio (Marvel Comics)?

England has so many populism and folk story monoliths (i.e., Scotland Yard, Robin Hood, Camelot) that it seems easier for the English to translate religion into pedestrianism.

Where is America's connective fabric? How can Batman (DC Comics), a vigilant vigilante who tackles society's most criminally insane, help? Is Green Arrow (DC Comics) America's version of Robin Hoood?

:afro:

Green Arrow

View attachment 41721

I used to get high and come up with stuff that I thought as very profound, at least until the next day when I wasn't high any more. Glad I never posted that silly stuff online.

US Constitution

Amendment I

Religion and a spiritual creed are two different things. America has always been a Christian nation.

Forum List

Back