Is America Breaking Up?

This country was founded on Liberal principles. What could be more liberal than the forcing out of a colonial monarchy and a global hegemony?

Pat conveniently leaves out stuff he doesn't like. He's a xenophobic drone that pines for the 50's. He's found a rut he likes and stays in it. His grasp/twist on history is very skewed.

Classical liberalism has no relation with the modern liberalism of the Democratic party. Classical liberals include Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, and Milton Friedman.

I don't see the Democratic party celebrating the classical liberalism of any of those men.

I think it very much does, despite treatises to the contrary. You have to take the context of the times. New America was very sparsely populated, but being the social creatures that we are, there existed social networks and dependency on each other, although our needs were fewer back then. The social networks were localized. Now that we are many and more closely related in need, and have more needs, the concept overlying is basically the same. The founding fathers created a somewhat even playing field, without the trappings of a monarchy or a state religion. We've had to morph that a bit with a public education, women's rights and racial rights but we are getting there. The hegemony still exists as corporatism, but theoretically we are in a position to combat that. But it's creeping, looming......the playing field is on tilt......so we adjust or try to, incrementally and slowly slogging along with the career politicians we have now. Liberalism is about moving forward and adapting and making the conditions exist for any of us to move all of us forward, more likely. Jefferson was the embodiment of this principle in his never ending quest in agrarianism. I can imagine his delight in knowing that olives grow in our westernmost regions, having failed in their cultivation on this east coast. He would be aghast at the genetic manipulation of our foodstuffs and horrified at our bee situation. He wanted to further his/our knowledge and not profit from it personally, but strengthen the nation.

This country was founded on Liberal principles. What could be more liberal than the forcing out of a colonial monarchy and a global hegemony?

Pat conveniently leaves out stuff he doesn't like. He's a xenophobic drone that pines for the 50's. He's found a rut he likes and stays in it. His grasp/twist on history is very skewed.

Classical liberal principles, not modern liberal principles.

Kevin, you don't understand either set of principles.

This is where you are confused.

Today's liberals are nothing like any liberals from even JFK's time. JFK would be a republican today.

So don't even try to compare the founders to the shrieking moonbats of of today. Especially with America-hating fucks like Soros bank-rolling your whole little lib utopia movement.

But you're gone too far now. :lol:
2010 is coming quickly. So much the worse for you, so much the better for America!

:muahaha:

Buchanan and (a little bit of) Scarborough are great as well...it's not like MaggieMae posted something that would be written by Limbaugh or Hannity.

I mean, seriously.

Pat knows a good deal of history and how it applies at all times and Morning Joe isn't exactly a party shill, either.

pat buchanan and history :evil::evil::evil::lol:

Pat does not understand Hitler. It does not matter if he does not either deliberately or indeliberately. He is a goof on this subject.

This is where you are confused.

Today's liberals are nothing like any liberals from even JFK's time. JFK would be a republican today.

So don't even try to compare the founders to the shrieking moonbats of of today. Especially with America-hating fucks like Soros bank-rolling your whole little lib utopia movement.

But you're gone too far now. :lol:
2010 is coming quickly. So much the worse for you, so much the better for America!

:muahaha:

I doubt JFK would be a Republican. He wanted to go to the moon, and we did. Not that we do anything with the moon, but we advanced and other things came out of it. Such spending would be anathema to a conservative. The whole planet advanced. These things are good. Competition is good, non-warring competition is even better.

Classical liberal principles, not modern liberal principles.

Kevin, you don't understand either set of principles.

Thanks for your concern.

Is America Coming Apart?
by Patrick J. Buchanan
September 11, 2009

Is America, too, breaking up?

Is America Coming Apart? « Patrick J. Buchanan – Official Website

I like Pat but the only ones breaking up are the Republican party. America knows what it collectively wants and the Democrats are trying to give that to them.
How are you doing suffering under that 25-year GOP reign, with people adoring the GOP because they know what's best for us?

Pride goeth before a fall...

And Scaborough and Buchanan have no following not even among the socalled looneys. And maggie for the umpteenth time the problem was never the speech itself it was the home work assignment afterwards - far more originally than just a request for a letter - and the prequel the school teachers were supposed to give. Both I believe eventually dropped due to vocal opposition.

With all due respect at the time Kennedy made the moon a target social spending in this country was limited to the commodities program and occasional block grants for schools. The Military was more than 2/3rds of the budget. When Kennedy was president and he ran on a platform of lowering taxes and strengthening national defense. Please tell me how any of that would fit in with the modern Democratic Party.

With all due respect at the time Kennedy made the moon a target social spending in this country was limited to the commodities program and occasional block grants for schools. The Military was more than 2/3rds of the budget. When Kennedy was president and he ran on a platform of lowering taxes and strengthening national defense. Please tell me how any of that would fit in with the modern Democratic Party.
Kennedy had some "liberal" ideas of his own...though a little less extreme than Obama's.

Different types of liberal. What tends to be called liberal today is in reality the statist left. Statists think government is the answer liberals think government is the problem historically.

Kennedy liked his own share of social programs, too.

And NO...Kennedy was NOT a "classic" liberal. He was just a more flexible, tolerable modern liberal.

We're hopefully in the process of choking out liberalism for awhile.

Indeed. Witness what's going on in DC today? Around the Country? The people are fighting back and justly so. The disease of Liberalism/Statism/Marxism is on notice BY the people.

I have to put in my two cents worth before I go away for a week.

I disagree with both of you. I happen to believe that we need some of both sides of the spectrum. Liberalism pushes us forward to keep progress moving and conservatism acts as the emergency brake that keeps the train from running out of control.

Without both sides of the spectrum, we'd either be hell bound without guidance or stagnant and neither of those two options are desirable.

Without liberalism we'd still be in the stone ages. Without conservatism, we would have wiped ourselves out long ago.

Immie

We're hopefully in the process of choking out liberalism for awhile.

Indeed. Witness what's going on in DC today? Around the Country? The people are fighting back and justly so. The disease of Liberalism/Statism/Marxism is on notice BY the people.

I have to put in my two cents worth before I go away for a week.

I disagree with both of you. I happen to believe that we need some of both sides of the spectrum. Liberalism pushes us forward to keep progress moving and conservatism acts as the emergency brake that keeps the train from running out of control.

Without both sides of the spectrum, we'd either be hell bound without guidance or stagnant and neither of those two options are desirable.

Without liberalism we'd still be in the stone ages. Without conservatism, we would have wiped ourselves out long ago.

Immie

That is a popular misconception.....

Trouble is they aren't liberal on the other side immie they are statist. And Progress isn't that big a deal for them especially on the green weanie front.

Trouble is they aren't liberal on the other side immie they are statist. And Progress isn't that big a deal for them especially on the green weanie front.

This is somewhat true, but my statement was not that we need today's liberals but rather that we need liberalism. If you think about today's conservatives (aka neo-cons) we could do without them just as well as we can do without the "statists" you mention.

Today's "conservatives" seem to be more dangerous that today's "liberals".

The comment was made that today's liberals are not the liberals of the old days, even JFK was not a liberal by today's standards. However, the truth is that today's conservatives, of Bush's administration are not the conservatives of even Reagan's days. The Bush Admin was as far away from true conservatism as the Earth is from Alpha Centauri.

Immie

New Topics

Forum List

Back