Is America Addicted to War?

During the bloody 20th Century America liberated most of the globe. Did it become an addiction in the mind of a smarmy obscure editorialist who probably never served in the Military?

We liberated Vietnam?

Let me say it again in case you were asleep during your 5th grade (last year?) history class. America liberated most of the globe during the bloody 20th century.

In the 20th, most of the globe merely saw its domination by one set replaced by domination by another.

At the risk of being painted some sort of flaming pie in the sky liberal, i have ONE request of our 'wars' (however you classify them) present & future

IF we're going to send our brave youth in to fight them

LET 'EM WIN

Post World War II, and then especially post the fall of the Soviet, I think it not entirely unreasonable to suggest that our nation has become the biggest bully on the block.

Some of the military actions we have taken are mortally justifiable on humanitarian terms, many are not.

Viet Nam, for example, clearly not a good war.

Korea, OTOH, easier to justify.

The invasion and occupation of Iraq, not in my opinion, a morally defensible action.

The invasion and toppling of the Taliban in Afghanistan was, I think, more than justified.

Nobody here is, I suspect, thinking that this question is really a call for an end to war.

But a representative democractic republic ought not to be engaging in wars of empire, neither should we have troops permanently stationed in as many nations as we currently do.

Much of our foreign policy is no longer about defending this nation, but instead seems to be about defending the modern American version of colonial (via internatiopnal corporate cuts out) mercantilism.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back