Is America addicted to domestic drugs (medicine)?

Kagom

Jan 16, 2006
Vicksburg, MS
It's a question that just occurred to me while watching Prozac Nation.

It seems that Americans want everything to be taken care of through a magical little pill. We see it all the time when it comes to children, people with emotional problems, and stress. How often these meds work seem to be dependant on if the person has the problem and if the person lets their psyche lie to them.

I'm proof that children are often misdiagnosed. I was put on ritalin and prozac as a child and the meds honestly didn't help me a lot. Prozac made me more depressed and gave me more feelings of self-hate (which was why I was given the drug) and ritalin just didn't have the effect of helping me focus more in school. It only gave a calming effect and nothing beyond that.

Well, moving on to adults, many adults become hypochondriacs and decide "Hey, I have a problem. Drugs needed!"

I dunno, but how many of you think that America is becoming too obsessed with drugs and wonderpills to help alleviate their problems?

Kagom said:
It's a question that just occurred to me while watching Prozac Nation.

It seems that Americans want everything to be taken care of through a magical little pill. We see it all the time when it comes to children, people with emotional problems, and stress. How often these meds work seem to be dependant on if the person has the problem and if the person lets their psyche lie to them.

I'm proof that children are often misdiagnosed. I was put on ritalin and prozac as a child and the meds honestly didn't help me a lot. Prozac made me more depressed and gave me more feelings of self-hate (which was why I was given the drug) and ritalin just didn't have the effect of helping me focus more in school. It only gave a calming effect and nothing beyond that.

Well, moving on to adults, many adults become hypochondriacs and decide "Hey, I have a problem. Drugs needed!"

I dunno, but how many of you think that America is becoming too obsessed with drugs and wonderpills to help alleviate their problems?
I think this is evidence of the time we live in.

The Bible clearly states that "knowledge increases, men run to & fro". We are at a time when man is doing tremendous things; this computer stuff for example. Who'd of tho't? But there is a sense of unrest among us. Parents don't want to be bothered by their children. It's much easier to give them a pill & put thim in front of a video game than to take him outside and pass ball, to use up that energy. This is NOT to say there isn't legitimate reasons for not only the drugs you mention but hundreds of others.

And too, some doctors are quick to hand out a drug, easier than getting to the core of the problem. I just never managed to get ahold of one. I've tried MANY a pill for the grief depression/sleeplessness and most I've had a reaction to or it just didn't work. But I've always had problems with medicines for some reason.

Sometimes you just have to do the leg work.

I don't like medication, unless it's something like antibiotics, or my son's inhaler, or Tylenol. A lot of that stuff just gives you a spaced-out feeling, and doesn't do anything to help the problem.

But I think people use other things to space out, too. Like watching tv, reading, talking on message boards. :tng:

I also think you should try to let your body do what it needs to do to heal. People take medication to relieve symptoms, when sometimes those symptoms are the body's way of healing. Like a fever. The dr will always say to give Tylenol for a fever, but the fever is the body's way of fighting infection. I don't give it unless it's a really high fever, or unless they are having trouble sleeping.

So I guess I just used a whole lot of words to say, "Yes, Kagom, I agree." :)

mom4 said:
I don't like medication, .....
But I think people use other things to space out, too. Like watching tv, reading, talking on message boards. :tng:.....
So I guess I just used a whole lot of words to say, "Yes, Kagom, I agree." :)
I guess my answer is "yes" also. But I think there is an underlying reason. Another, I think, is laziness. It's so easy to take a pill.
And if you can't find a doctor to drug you, there's always the local bar and tons of alcohol. You can go for days without ever having to think.
And for spacing out, people have used what you mentioned along with many other hobbies.
There's also a difference in chilling and taking a let-me-take-a-pill-so-I- can- -tolerate-your-stupid-*ss.

Forum List

Back