Is America a fascist state?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
In order to debate the issue, we must first define just what fascism is.

<blockquote>The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. - Franklin Delano Roosevelt</blockquote>

<blockquote>Fascism is best defined as a revolutionary form of nationalism, one that sets out to be a political, social and ethical revolution, welding the &#8216;people&#8217; into a dynamic national community under new elites infused with heroic values. The core myth that inspires this project is that only a populist, trans-class movement of purifying, cathartic national rebirth (palingenesis) can stem the tide of decadence - Roger Griffin, Professor of Modern History, Oxford Brookes University</blockquote>

<blockquote>
Main Entry: <b>fas&#183;cism</b>
Pronunciation: \&#712;fa-&#716;shi-z&#601;m also &#712;fa-&#716;si-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian fascismo, from fascio bundle, fasces, group, from Latin fascis bundle & fasces fasces
Date:1921

<b>1</b><i>often capitalized</i> : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary</blockquote>

While there doesn't seem to be a concrete definition of fascism, all seem to share the common thread of autocratic power, populist rhetoric and nationalism. Umberto Ecco listed the characteristics of fascsim in <a href=http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_blackshirt.html>Eternal Fascism: Fourteen Ways of Looking at a Blackshirt</a>

Looked at with a critical eye, the Bush administration meets many, if not all, of Ecco's criteria, as well as those presented in the other definitions. This can be most readily noticed in the administration's obsession with gathering power in the hands of the Executive Branch and attempts to relegate the Legislative and Judicial branches to the status of advisory, rather than co-equal, branches of government. This can also bee seen in the Bush administration's disdain for the rule of law, whether it be the commuting of 'Scooter' Libby's sentence, the illegal wiretaps or the circumventing of international law and treaty as evidenced by GITMO.

So long as members of Congress fail to uphold their oversight duties and prosecute members of the administration for their violations of federal law and Constitutional breaches as well as violations of international law and treaty, America is a functional fascist state.

So long as this administration remains free of accountability for its actions under those principles laid down in the Constitution and the rule of law, if not now, then after the election in 2008, the change will be <i>fait accompli</i> and America will remain a functional fascist state.

The Bush administration is currently functioning under the rule of law, as THEY have defined it, not as it is defined in the Constitution. Until the administration is brought to heel under the principles and rule of law established in the Constitution, America will remain a functional fascist state.

While there will be those who feel such observations are mere hyperbole or fabrications of a lunatic left-wing looney, I can only state, that it is not hyperbole or lunacy to recognize and state, clearly, the nature of our government as it now stands. Only by recognizing this administration and the government it has given rise to as fascist can we truly focus on the priorities Congress must address. Until the rule of law is restored, none of the other desperately needed changes, from the occupation of Iraq to health-care reform, to tax reform or immigration reform or any other needs we see daily in the headlines can be addressed.

Congress must put aside its partisan bickering. The Republicans must put aside their loyalty to party and president...The Democrats must put aside their political and personal ambitions...All must remember that their FIRST loyalty and duty lies with the Constitution. They mus act to restore the rule of law...Not in six months...not in three months...not even in one week. They must act now, while they still can, to restore the rule of law.

<blockquote>The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. - Franklin Delano Roosevelt</blockquote>

<blockquote>Fascism is best defined as a revolutionary form of nationalism, one that sets out to be a political, social and ethical revolution, welding the ‘people’ into a dynamic national community under new elites infused with heroic values. The core myth that inspires this project is that only a populist, trans-class movement of purifying, cathartic national rebirth (palingenesis) can stem the tide of decadence - Roger Griffin, Professor of Modern History, Oxford Brookes University</blockquote>

<blockquote>
Main Entry: <b>fas·cism</b>
Etymology: Italian fascismo, from fascio bundle, fasces, group, from Latin fascis bundle & fasces fasces

<b>1</b><i>often capitalized</i> : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary</blockquote>

While there doesn't seem to be a concrete definition of fascism, all seem to share the common thread of autocratic power, populist rhetoric and nationalism. Umberto Ecco listed the characteristics of fascsim in <a href=http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_blackshirt.html>Eternal Fascism: Fourteen Ways of Looking at a Blackshirt</a>

Looked at with a critical eye, the Bush administration meets many, if not all, of Ecco's criteria, as well as those presented in the other definitions. This can be most readily noticed in the administration's obsession with gathering power in the hands of the Executive Branch and attempts to relegate the Legislative and Judicial branches to the status of advisory, rather than co-equal, branches of government. This can also bee seen in the Bush administration's disdain for the rule of law, whether it be the commuting of 'Scooter' Libby's sentence, the illegal wiretaps or the circumventing of international law and treaty as evidenced by GITMO.

So long as members of Congress fail to uphold their oversight duties and prosecute members of the administration for their violations of federal law and Constitutional breaches as well as violations of international law and treaty, America is a functional fascist state.

So long as this administration remains free of accountability for its actions under those principles laid down in the Constitution and the rule of law, in not now, then after the election in 2008, the change will be <i>fait accompli</i> and America will remain a functional fascist state.

The Bush administration is currently functioning under the rule of law, as THEY have defined it, not as it is defined in the Constitution. Until the administration is brought to heel under the principles and rule of law established in the Constitution, America will remain a fascist state.

While there will be those who feel such observations are mere hyperbole or fabrications of a lunatic left-wing looney, I can only state, that it is not hyperbole or lunacy to recognize and state, clearly, the nature of our government as it now stands. Only by recognizing this administration and the government it has given rise to as fascist can we truly focus on the priorities Congress must address. Until the rule of law is restored, none of the other desperately needed changes, from the occupation of Iraq to health-care reform, to tax reform or immigration reform or any other needs we see daily in the headlines can be addressed.

Congress must put aside its partisan bickering. The Republicans must put aside their loyalty to party and president...The Democrats must put aside their political and personal ambitions...All must remember that their FIRST loyalty and duty lies with the Constitution. They mus act to restore the rule of law...Not in six months...not in three months...not even in one week. They must act now, while they still can, to restore the rule of law.

America is still a Republic - If the general public think that the leaders in government are too fascist, then the people will vote for those who are not so fascist.

<blockquote>Fascism is best defined as a revolutionary form of nationalism, one that sets out to be a political, social and ethical revolution, welding the ‘people’ into a dynamic national community under new elites infused with heroic values. The core myth that inspires this project is that only a populist, trans-class movement of purifying, cathartic national rebirth (palingenesis) can stem the tide of decadence - Roger Griffin, Professor of Modern History, Oxford Brookes University</blockquote>

<blockquote>

So long as this administration remains free of accountability for its actions under those principles laid down in the Constitution and the rule of law, if not now, then after the election in 2008, the change will be <i>fait accompli</i> and America will remain a functional fascist state.

The Bush administration is currently functioning under the rule of law, as THEY have defined it, not as it is defined in the Constitution. Until the administration is brought to heel under the principles and rule of law established in the Constitution, America will remain a functional fascist state.

I hope I'm not firing off some of your future ammo for this thread,

“Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power”

From the INVENTOR of Fascism, Benito Mussolini.

If that doesn't describe Murka to a tee, I'll suffer fucking from RSR! :eusa_sick: :eusa_sick: :eusa_sick:

We aren't, but we've had elements of economic fascism ever since WWI, and particularly since the New Deal era. Remember that FDR was actually fond of Mussolini before the war. This isn't so surprising when you consider that both fascism and communism were both considered different flavors of "left wing", as opposed to classical liberalism (ie, small non-interventionist government, not modern liberalism).

Then there's the aggressive wars and erosion of civil liberties, but those aren't unique to fascism, they are symptoms of any overpowered government system.

We aren't, but we've had elements of economic fascism ever since WWI, and particularly since the New Deal era. Remember that FDR was actually fond of Mussolini before the war. This isn't so surprising when you consider that both fascism and communism were both considered different flavors of "left wing", as opposed to classical liberalism (ie, small non-interventionist government, not modern liberalism).

Then there's the aggressive wars and erosion of civil liberties, but those aren't unique to fascism, they are symptoms of any overpowered government system.

Yes, it was that filthy fascist FDR and his Carmmie/Union/Atheist/Compassionate (spit!) Librul fellow travellers who wanted to to demolish America's traditional Cafflik, ****, ******, and Vet bashing Dumbocracy :evil:

Why the polio-riddled (a sure sign of "Guards" disapproval!) Facimmunist Muslim bastard even fed, clothed, and sheltered the poor, the weak, and the sick! :shock: :shock:

Methinks Ol' Smeds would roll over in his grave if he saw the fascists that filled the ranks of his Leathernecks these days!

Let's look at Umberto Ecco's characteristics of fascism.

1. A cult of <i>tradition</i>: Bush leaned heavily on "traditional values" to rally his base in 2000 and 2004. Similarly, the GOP also used them as a rallying cry not only during those elections, but also during the mid-term elections in 2002 and 2006.

2. rejection of modernism: This goes hand in hand with Bush's beating the drum of tradition. We see this in his rejection of sound science in favor of political expediency as well his belief in some manifest destiny for the nation as reported by <a href=http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/stories/DN-geyer_31edi.ART.State.Edition1.4370227.html>Georgie Anne Geyer</a>.

3. Action for the sake of action: The invasion and continued occupation of Iraq in face of any real evidence for it in the first place and the dogged persistence of the administration in repeatedly following the same flawed, failed strategies in the hopes of a different outcome.

4. Disagreement is treason: Beginning with John Ashcroft's statement before Congress and continuing to this day by the administration and it's supporters, "You are either with us, or you are with the terrorists."

5. Fear of difference: This is evidenced by the marginalization of foreigners, the GLBT community, opponents, etc by both the Administration and the GOP. While the illegal immigration issue may be seen as a counter to this, it is more a matter of providing cheap labor to American business than it is to any concerns about diversity.

There's more, but I have to get ready for work. And it's not just elements of economic fascism that have been present for decades. With its penchant for secrecy, it's belief in a unitary executive, its attempts at marginalizing the Legislative and Judicial branches, its insistence on functioning outside the law, the Bush administration has established a functional fascist state. The framework of the Republic is still there but unless this administration is held

So if a Democrat wins the White House in 2008 all us " fascists" Neo con knuckle dragging boobs can begin chanting " the election was stolen", "your President not mine", etc etc?

The article is a gross exaggeration of the parallels between fascism and the Bush administration. The author interprets today's events through a political lens that says more about the author than the Bush administration.

Let's look at Umberto Ecco's characteristics of fascism.

1. A cult of <i>tradition</i>: Bush leaned heavily on "traditional values" to rally his base in 2000 and 2004. Similarly, the GOP also used them as a rallying cry not only during those elections, but also during the mid-term elections in 2002 and 2006.

This first definition is vague. How about "fascists like children?" After all Mussolini liked children (I know this because I saw on The Godfather last night that all Italians like children) and Bush likes children. I suppose the Republican's opposition to gay marriage during the election allows us to brand, without a doubt, the GOP as "fascists." Where would Jesus have goose-stepped?

2. rejection of modernism: This goes hand in hand with Bush's beating the drum of tradition. We see this in his rejection of sound science in favor of political expediency as well his belief in some manifest destiny for the nation as reported by <a href=http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/stories/DN-geyer_31edi.ART.State.Edition1.4370227.html>Georgie Anne Geyer</a>.

It is absolutely ridiculous to use a few high profile events to conclude that Bush rejects "modernism." Did they outlaw cars? Is the Internet still running? Have they brought slavery back? Bush seems to be very intent on developing the most modern weapons, so I think we can safely reject this point.

3. Action for the sake of action: The invasion and continued occupation of Iraq in face of any real evidence for it in the first place and the dogged persistence of the administration in repeatedly following the same flawed, failed strategies in the hopes of a different outcome.

Very, very weak. I'm not going to make any assumptions about what you believe BP, but as a point in general about the Left, many believe Bush invaded to control the oil fields. They are dead wrong, but even if they were not, that is certainly not action for action's sake.

4. Disagreement is treason: Beginning with John Ashcroft's statement before Congress and continuing to this day by the administration and it's supporters, "You are either with us, or you are with the terrorists."

Are you typing this from prison?

5. Fear of difference: This is evidenced by the marginalization of foreigners, the GLBT community, opponents, etc by both the Administration and the GOP. While the illegal immigration issue may be seen as a counter to this, it is more a matter of providing cheap labor to American business than it is to any concerns about diversity.

Gotta say you're wrong on this one BP. You cannot say you're in fear of foreigners when you're attempting to pass a law where 12 million of immigrants are granted legal status as evidence of that fear for any reason. As for businesses wanting cheap labour as evidence of fascism, in fact, the free movement of labour is a characteristic of libertarianism, the complete opposite of fascism.

There's more, but I have to get ready for work. And it's not just elements of economic fascism that have been present for decades. With its penchant for secrecy, it's belief in a unitary executive, its attempts at marginalizing the Legislative and Judicial branches, its insistence on functioning outside the law, the Bush administration has established a functional fascist state. The framework of the Republic is still there but unless this administration is held

I am no fan of the Bush administration, and I agree with some of the criticisms you make, but saying that the administration is trying to "marginalize" the legislative and judicial branch says more about the author than the current state of affairs in Washington.

Yesterday, on another forum, I read someone describe the current Prime Minister of Canada as a "proto-fascist." The Left has to stop this silliness if they wish to be taken seriously on this continent.

So if a Democrat wins the White House in 2008 all us " fascists" Neo con knuckle dragging boobs can begin chanting " the election was stolen", "your President not mine", etc etc?

Why not save yourselves the effort and cost and cancel the '08 elections?

Either way a decent family values candidate and his cadre of covertly sexually depraved Christo-Fascists will be put in The White's House.

We furriners have always failed to see the fundamental difference beytween your political Heckle and Jekyll. That low-life **** bike that is running the Demoprats now is more of a right-winger than Hilary Clitnone! Nancy Pelouche is nothing but a kosher version of Maggot Thatcher reincarnated!

Actually, I don't know why y'all don't publicly leave it up to a panel of Proddie pastors to elect those mealy-mouthed MIC mouthpieces that you call politicians.

They have done so anyway even since before The Mayfair and it's despised cargo set sail. :eusa_pray:

<blockquote>

Only when Dems lose Presidential elections and their crappy liberal ideas are ignored

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying he isn't the first, that's all. He isn't a left-wing socialist, but he's definitely not a classical liberal either...I would classify him as a right-wing socialist, or at least leaning that way. Which of course is just another way of saying that he leans towards fascism.

For more reading I would recommend this.

Either way a decent family values candidate and his cadre of covertly sexually depraved Christo-Fascists will be put in The White's House.

We furriners have always failed to see the fundamental difference beytween your political Heckle and Jekyll. That low-life **** bike that is running the Demoprats now is more of a right-winger than Hilary Clitnone! Nancy Pelouche is nothing but a kosher version of Maggot Thatcher reincarnated!

Actually, I don't know why y'all don't publicly leave it up to a panel of Proddie pastors to elect those mealy-mouthed MIC mouthpieces that you call politicians.

They have done so anyway even since before The Mayfair and it's despised cargo set sail. :eusa_pray:

I read your posts three times, and for the life of me, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying he isn't the first, that's all. He isn't a left-wing socialist, but he's definitely not a classical liberal either...I would classify him as a right-wing socialist, or at least leaning that way. Which of course is just another way of saying that he leans towards fascism.

I read your posts three times, and for the life of me, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

He is a raving lunatic, of course you can not figure out what he is saying, I doubt he even knows.

Is my dialect too gutteral for you Count Von Collosal Cock? Sorry!

I'll put it in plain Merkin for you.

Cancel the election

You are gonna get the same ol’ Chrischuns anyway

We furriners have always failed to see the fundamental difference beytween your political Heckle and Jekyll. That low-life **** bike that is running the Demoprats now is more of a right-winger than Hilary Clitnone! Nancy Pelouche (http://www.answers.com/topic/louche) is nothing but a kosher version of Maggot Thatcher reincarnated!

We furriners can’t see the difference between the two Republican Partei’s. For instance, Nancy Pelosi* and Hillary are further to the right than Ghengis Khan.

Actually, I don't know why y'all don't *publicly* leave it up to a panel of Proddie pastors to elect those mealy-mouthed MIC mouthpieces that you call politicians.

You may as well leave it up to your Proddie pastors to publicly appointed them instead of doing it behind closed church dorrs

They have done so anyway even since before The Mayfair and it's despised cargo set sail.

They have done so anyway even since before The Mayfair and it's despised cargo set sail.

Better?

If you're ever stumped again and I'm not available, Diuretic does Autralain-American translations dirt cheap.

* a communal bike (bicycle) that any Jew can ride.

Is my dialect too gutteral for you Count Von Collosal Cock? Sorry!
I'll put it in plain Merkin for you.
Cancel the election
You are gonna get the same ol’ Chrischuns anyway
We furriners can’t see the difference between the two Republican Partei’s. For instance, Nancy Pelosi* and Hillary are further to the right than Ghengis Khan.
You may as well leave it up to your Proddie pastors to publicly appointed them instead of doing it behind closed church dorrs
Better?
If you're ever stumped again and I'm not available, Diuretic does Autralain-American translations dirt cheap.

* a communal bike (bicycle) that any Jew can ride.

and the merikans should listen to you english criminals why?

Forum List

Back