CDZ Is allowing human beings to stay in a state of primitivism moral?

Is it moral to force your way of life on another?

I don't know....I am just wondering....... we always discuss how to help the homeless....aren't these people in the same situation?
Not sure what you mean. Aren't they home there, on the island?

The homeless are often in a situation they can't improve without help....these natives are in a situation they can't improve on their own.....should they be helped.

Homeless who want help also want to have their situation improved. Some don't want help at all and they don't want you to "improve " their lives

This tribe and the people have no desire to have their lives "improved" or interfered with it is their call not ours

Should help be offered? Should these people be approached and offered help? So they can choose to accept or deny it? What about their children when they grow up....should they be offered help when they reach 17, 18 years of age.....like the Amish when they go out into the world for a year?

No, no, and hell no. They are fine, they don’t want help, they don’t need help. It appears the only thing that distresses them is outsiders coming near their Island, and it’s been that way for as long as we know.

I saw this from Aaronland......about the guy killed with arrows from a Tribe of primitives who are quarantined from the modern world...

American killed by bow and arrow-wielding tribe while trying to visit remote Indian island

Visitation to North Sentinel Island is heavily restricted by the Indian government and contact with the Sentinelese tribe who lives there is illegal to protect their indigenous way of life and prevent the spread of diseases.

So.......these people will apparently be allowed to stay in a primitive state of existence for eternity? Is that moral? Considering how far advanced the rest of the world is? Do we, as humans, owe them the chance to have better lives, better health, children that live past the age of 5, women who won't die during childbirth, a chance to become astronauts, or accountants?

No, of course not. You are scaring me 2aguy. That is a very liberal perspective - assume that their life is subpar and you know what is better for them. That is where religion goes off the rail. Assuming you have to preach and convert others to your god. Live and let live I say.

The reality is their population is so small, that any outside contact would expose them to viruses and diseases for which they have no resistance, and you’d wipe them out completely.

No....I am asking the question. Seeking debate. As to diseases, we have medicine...which they might need for other illnesses that afflict them........ don't you wonder if they really understood the world, if they would want their children to have more and better than what they have now....

Okay, new question.... if you were like them...would you want your children to have a better future.....living past 32, living without having your wife die in childbirth due to easily dealt with complications? You know, the basics...

this fits here>>>
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Prime-...robably-apply-fairly-universally-in-real-life

I saw this from Aaronland......about the guy killed with arrows from a Tribe of primitives who are quarantined from the modern world...

American killed by bow and arrow-wielding tribe while trying to visit remote Indian island

Visitation to North Sentinel Island is heavily restricted by the Indian government and contact with the Sentinelese tribe who lives there is illegal to protect their indigenous way of life and prevent the spread of diseases.

So.......these people will apparently be allowed to stay in a primitive state of existence for eternity? Is that moral? Considering how far advanced the rest of the world is? Do we, as humans, owe them the chance to have better lives, better health, children that live past the age of 5, women who won't die during childbirth, a chance to become astronauts, or accountants?

No, of course not. You are scaring me 2aguy. That is a very liberal perspective - assume that their life is subpar and you know what is better for them. That is where religion goes off the rail. Assuming you have to preach and convert others to your god. Live and let live I say.

The reality is their population is so small, that any outside contact would expose them to viruses and diseases for which they have no resistance, and you’d wipe them out completely.

No....I am asking the question. Seeking debate. As to diseases, we have medicine...which they might need for other illnesses that afflict them........ don't you wonder if they really understood the world, if they would want their children to have more and better than what they have now....

Okay, new question.... if you were like them...would you want your children to have a better future.....living past 32, living without having your wife die in childbirth due to easily dealt with complications? You know, the basics...

First, you are assuming you know more than you do about these folks. When this story came out, I read as much as I could find about them, and there isn’t much. There have been very few “successful “ interactions with them thru history. Successful being they didn’t try to kill you. They have never made any friendly gestures. We know nothing of their culture, language, society structure. About all we know is they can make primitive weapons and they wear little or no clothing.

I’d be fascinated in having some sort of hidden video, perhaps from super powerful satellite camera. But the reality is the island vegetation is so dense that the only way to do it would be with cameras on the ground, and they won’t stand for it.

So that’s it. It’s their Island, they don’t want to leave it, and they don’t want anybody there. So leave them alone.

So that’s it. It’s their Island, they don’t want to leave it, and they don’t want anybody there. So leave them alone.

unless you've a dinner invite.....

4a593adf34e3290fdf1fde1e830ca68e--bbq-ideas-party-ideas.jpg

At least this small tribe is isolated and is not attemting to spread its primitive ways

My bigger concern is with primitives moving into western civilizations and underming civilized ways

My view is let them be.

Maybe a future generation will reach out. For now provides an interesting study since they made it this far without "modern" convenience or medical tech

The people of this tribe no doubt know there are other people nearby yet they still choose not to have any contact.

We should honor that regardless of how superior we think we are

If we are visiting a foreign country, it is wise to remember that we are the guests of that country, not its masters. The real question is, is it moral to visit countries without consulting them of our travel plans and without reading our own country's state department warnings about what might cause that country trouble if we do not accept their ways? And whose responsibility is it to let all visitors know areas of their country have autonomous headhunters in some states or islands claimed by the country? While I was growing up, I never saw a movie about India that didn't show immature, obsequious people as the principal representative in that country. To have people think of the people of a nation in that manner invites trouble, but you just don't know it as a child, because that's what Hollywood was teaching at the time. Foreign countries have accepted traditions, such as not interfering with tribes who govern themselves and leaving them alone unless we are invited to go there. And I can imagine the nation of India is not enthusiastic about people whose ulterior motive is to obtain something for nothing from their people. I'm sorry we lost a citizen in that part of the world, but his red flag should have been the attitude of the Indian government to not accept our help in their tragic monsoon that wiped out entire populations of their citizens who lived along their tsunami coastline. They didn't like being treated like children just because they aren't as tall as we are, or expecting respect from them after what other races of people convinced that all of them were children and easy to cheat out of the world's wealth by interlopers who showed up on their shores as "tourists," but whose aim was to get something for nothing out of the people of their nation.

We make mistakes like the unfeeling, unconscious people our behavior shows that we can be in everyday living. They don't want that shit in a crisis. If tourists from America don't know something about another country, our own state department should make every effort to let us know we mustn't treat aboriginal tribes as unimportant in the scheme of things. Our state department offers advice if we take it. It is up to our educators to teach children respect when traveling in someone else's country, and who to contact before they go there. How are our schools doing at informing their pupils about diplomacy, and whose job is it to insure our citizens do not trespass aboriginal areas of nations who tolerate the freedom of their own citizens to engage in aboriginal rites, one of which could be cannibalism, another, the elimination of foreigners who visit the hostile shore areas of an otherwise sovereign nation?

We are not addressing the "who is responsible" issue. In India, it could be different answers than we would give here, as westerners who believe in welcoming strangers. What has that gotten us here? I'll tell you what: world wars. We need to step back and walk a mile in the shoes of the foreign country we'd like to visit before we go there.

Last edited:

The people of this tribe no doubt know there are other people nearby yet they still choose not to have any contact.

Even the policy of non interference of primitive cultures was the Prime Directive that 2aguys avatar Kirk followed in the series.

Our past morality thought we should civilize the savages, while resorting to barbarian measures to tame the primitive. Usually at the destruction of said culture.

Seems the policy of non interference strikes me as the better "moral" option.

Are they allowed to leave the island to pursue a different lifestyle if they want? If so, they can make that choice. I wouldn't try to "civilize" them from the outside. If they are content, then let them be. If they wanted outside help, I assume they would have had it by now.

Even the policy of non interference of primitive cultures was the Prime Directive that 2aguys avatar Kirk followed in the series.

Our past morality thought we should civilize the savages, while resorting to barbarian measures to tame the primitive. Usually at the destruction of said culture.

One wonders just how universally that applies......
ifmkcvupedrsjadchlaq

One wonders just how universally that applies......
ifmkcvupedrsjadchlaq
On a global scale.
The silence from space is reassuring, as a visit probably wouldn't bode well for the tribe of humanity.
There could very well be a beacon outside our solar system warning of crazy primates on the third world from Sol.:biggrin:

Seems the natives are perfectly capable of defending themselves. You may well wipe them out with disease before you "save" them.

When did God give us the authority to be the moral monitors of Earth?
You say we are advanced, yes we are, we can destroy Earth.
Man was primitive for 100,000's of years, and yet being primitive we were still able to survive.
Different strokes for different folks.
I say....leave well enough alone.

I brought this up over the Holidays. We were pretty unsure ourselves and someone said, "they'll probably be the only ones who survive the nuclear war because they aren't targeted"

Fallout or radiation may get them but now I'm leaning towards leaving them alone until the tribe makes some effort to contact others. Its difficult to "uncontact" if u change your mind.

Is it moral to force your way of life on another?

I don't know....I am just wondering....... we always discuss how to help the homeless....aren't these people in the same situation?
Not sure what you mean. Aren't they home there, on the island?

The homeless are often in a situation they can't improve without help....these natives are in a situation they can't improve on their own.....should they be helped.
I believe they have answered with a definitive NO!

Do they want to come to the modern world? This tribe might be very happy with their life as it is I have lost track of how many times I have heard people talk about wanting to live a simpler life. How would people who have apparently had little to no contact with the modern world even manage to function in it?

Why might we "owe" them anything?

Forum List

Back