Is Alcoholism is a REAL Disability?

Chronic alcoholism can be a disability. I've seen people who were given disability because they will literally die if they don't drink throughout the day (alcohol is the only drug that can result in death from withdrawal).

It is the worst of all the drugs.

Cmon Allie---they can be given drugs to take the place of alcohol but DT's can certainly cause seizures and death

DTs are caused by alcohol withdrawal.
Not by heroin withdrawal.
This is heroin withdrawal:
"Withdrawal symptoms include:
Restlessness
Insomnia
Diarrhea
Vomiting
Cold flashes with goose bumps
Kicking movements
Muscle and bone pain."
Heroin - Basic Facts About Heroin

This is alcohol withdrawal:

"Excessive abuse of alcohol leads to tolerance, physical dependence, and an alcohol withdrawal syndrome. The withdrawal syndrome is largely due to the central nervous system being in a hyper-excitable state. Unlike most withdrawals from other drugs, alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. The withdrawal syndrome can include seizures and delirium tremens and may lead to excito-neurotoxicity.[1]..

"Withdrawal symptoms
Agitation[8]
Alcoholic hallucinosis[5]
Anorexia[8]
Anxiety and panic attacks[5][9]
Catatonia[10]
Confusion[5]
Delirium tremens[5]
Depression[11][12]
Derealization
Diaphoresis[8]
Diarrhea[8]
Euphoria[5]
Fear[5]
Gastrointestinal upset[8]
Hallucinations[8]
Headache[8]
Hypertension[8]
Insomnia[8]
Irritability[5]
Nausea and vomiting[13]
Palpitations[8]
Psychosis[5][14]
Rebound REM sleep[15]
Restlessness[5]
Seizures and death[8]
Sweating[8]
Tachycardia[8]
Tremors[8]
Weakness[8]
Hyperthermia(fever)...

"Kindling is the phenomenon where repeated alcohol detoxifications lead to an increased severity of the withdrawal syndrome. For example binge drinkers may initially experience no withdrawal symptoms but with each period of resumption of drinking followed by abstinence their withdrawal symptoms intensify in severity and may eventually result in full blown delirium tremens with convulsive seizures. Alcoholics who experience seizures during hospital detoxification have been found to be much more likely to have had experienced more previous detoxifications from alcohol than alcoholics who did not have seizures and are more likely to have a more medically complicated alcohol withdrawal syndrome. Kindling can cause complications and may increase the risk of relapse, alcohol related brain damage and cognitive deficits. Chronic alcohol misuse and kindling via multiple alcohol withdrawals may lead to permanent alterations in the GABAA receptors.[21]

The mechanism behind kindling is sensitisation of some neuronal systems and desensitisation of other neuronal systems which leads to increasingly gross neurochemical imbalances. This in turn leads to more profound withdrawal symptoms including anxiety, convulsions and neurotoxicity.[7]."
Alcohol withdrawal syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I worked in treatment and my mom still works in treatment. Alcohol withdrawal is the the only serious killer.

And here (in re: disability):

"The long term outlook depends on how much organ damage has occurred and whether the person can stop drinking completely."
Alcohol withdrawal: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

sorry but that should read "whether that person WILL stop drinking completely".

No, it means if the person CAN stop drinking completely without dying.

I have worked with alcohol dependent people. THEY CAN'T QUIT DRINKING OR THEY DIE. Their bodies WILL NOT function without alcohol.

I know what I'm talking about. Sorry.

And here (in re: disability):

"The long term outlook depends on how much organ damage has occurred and whether the person can stop drinking completely."
Alcohol withdrawal: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

sorry but that should read "whether that person WILL stop drinking completely".

No, it means if the person CAN stop drinking completely without dying.

I have worked with alcohol dependent people. THEY CAN'T QUIT DRINKING OR THEY DIE.

if you replace the alcohol with the appropriate dosage of the appropirate drug they will NOT die.

Dillo, that's NOT ALWAYS TRUE, okay???? Are you not reading the links? Some people have been diagnosed as ALCOHOL dependent. Their bodies will NOT function without alcohol.

They can use barbituates to help some alcoholics, and some they will even put into long-term (a week or more) comas.

But some it will not work. I've seen the medical write ups on them, I've met these people.

Wasn't there a Law & Order Episode about this subject: Guy has an alcoholic Blackout, beats a girl to death, but can remember nothing.

The Prosecuting District Attourney, who argues vehemently agaist the "Alcoholic Defense" Gets Drunk and Botches the trial.......

:redface:

Yeah, L&O is a Libtard show.

Dillo, that's NOT ALWAYS TRUE, okay???? Are you not reading the links? Some people have been diagnosed as ALCOHOL dependent. Their bodies will NOT function without alcohol.

They can use barbituates to help some alcoholics, and some they will even put into long-term (a week or more) comas.

But some it will not work. I've seen the medical write ups on them, I've met these people.

link me to the science

Thanks granny That's what I thought. The guy was fired because he DROVE drunk and driving is part of his job But so is using a gun...

I have a feeling this defense (amongst other "disabilities") will be used to file wrongful termination claims. And it won't be long before drunks and druggies will get a pass to teach our kids or construct our bridges. The ADA is far too over reaching in my opinion.

Then you don't understand ADA.

ADA requires employers to consider for hire/retain persons with a disability IF that person can still perform their job functions with reasonable accommodation.

A chair or stool in a job where the person would normally stand is a reasonable accommodation. Voice software on a computer used by a person who cannot see or type is a reasonable accommodation. Giving somebody a pass to drive drunk is not a reasonable accommodation, glaringly so since it involves illegal activity.

As for drunk or drugged teachers, hell, I had more than one who wandered around school with really funny smelling coffee and I turned out OK. ;)

allie, most heroine withdrawals happen outside of treatment. its not rare that addicts die from withdrawal under these more common circumstances.

What's a reasonable accomodation for a drunk? Nap time? Cold pizza? Translator? If drinking IS the disability then being drunk would not be a fireable offense. That's what this lawyer was arguing. And if Allie is correct, some could argue that their alcohol use is a matter of life and death.

I'm sure we all know "functioning alcoholics".but people who drink at work should not have special protections. But I do foresee it happening.

What's a reasonable accomodation for a drunk? Nap time? Cold pizza? Translator? If drinking IS the disability then being drunk would not be a fireable offense. That's what this lawyer was arguing. And if Allie is correct, some could argue that their alcohol use is a matter of life and death.

I'm sure we all know "functioning alcoholics".but people who drink at work should not have special protections. But I do foresee it happening.

(mal)functioning drunks are the worst. they do work someone else has to re-do. too much personal experience with the undercover fd constuction guy.

picture the workers' comp/harassment suit nightmare if these people are allowed in the workplace!

"mehh, nice ass, slut!" later: "well i was disabled..at the time... and i really dont remember..."

whatever happened to having 'problems'? the race for disability and birthright accommodation is accelerating out of control. people sustained a disability, or are born into marginalized groups, rather than joining out of their own will, are getting shoved to the back of the line.

In one of the most innovative legal arguments presented to defend the transgressions of a public official, a police chief fired for crashing while driving drunk claims to be the victim of disability discrimination based on his alcoholism.

The case involves the one-time police chief (Charles Budde) of the Kane County Forest Preserve District in Illinois. After boozing it up at a bar, the district’s top cop tried to drive home intoxicated. With a blood-alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit in Illinois, he rear ended another car seriously injuring its occupants.

With a preexisting pattern of “judgment errors,” Budde was promptly placed on administrative leave by district officials and subsequently fired. He responded with a lawsuit that claims his discharge was discriminatory based on his disability—alcoholism. In his complaint he asserts that the district failed to accommodate his disability and fired him in retaliation for requesting a reasonable accommodation.

A federal judge dismissed the suit, ruling that Budde had been fired because he clearly violated established work rules, even assuming his alcoholism was a disability. The disgraced chief appealed and this week the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit essentially upheld the lower court’s ruling.

Fired Drunk Police Chief Claims Alcoholism Disability | Judicial Watch

While I applaud the court of appeals decision, I don't think we've seen the last of the these cases yet. Bogus disability lawsuits may be the next "Twinkie defense" for the ambulance chasers.

Their is a cop here suing over the same sort of thing.

Disability claims are at an all time "high" in America.
My neighbor is on social security disability and draws over 2 K a month. She proudly displays her disability sticker on her truck as she trailers her horses to events state wide.
The woman rides horses and competes, does yard work and lives the life of leisure.
Just like 60% of all of those on disability.
Addiction is the only disease that isn't a disease for those afflicted with no hands.
If you can walk and talk with a clear mind then your ass is not disabled.

You can't walk and talk with a clear mind if you're drunk.
And if it will kill you to quit drinking, you're disabled.

How does one get the spirits to get drunk without the ability to think rationally? An insane person that is truly mentally ill and disabled as a result of it does not have the knowledge to get the spirits to get drunk.
Alcoholism is not a disability. We would be better off chopping both hands off these folks and then paying them disability. Most drunks on disability continue to be drunks.
How does someone with no hands claim to or have an addiction problem?

Forum List

Back