Is a real-life Jurassic Park far behind?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Is this a good idea?

TOKYO (AFP) – Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

The elephant is the closest modern relative of the mammoth, a huge woolly mammal believed to have died out with the last Ice Age.

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years - Yahoo! News

Thoughts?

As far as I know no Dinosaurs have ever been found intact. All we have is fossilized remains. You realize that the supposed way they cloned the Dinosaurs was by using blood from mosquitos trapped in amber and then since A0 they had no idea which dinosaur the blood was from and it was missing many important steps they just added frog DNA?

Not likely to see any dinosaurs running around any time soon.

I'm channeling my inner CG
calling on my inner CeeGeee
caaaalllliiiinnnnng oooon myyyy innnnneeerrrr CeeeeeeGeeeeee

There's already a thread on this, learn to use the search function.

:laugh2:

I thought, in my thread, that this was wierd. And since the climate that the mammoth lived in, the food it at, etc, were long gone, it's going to be a miserable life for it.

And seriously, What's to learn from a dead animal that's needed to know?

The real ethical question will arise for cloning Neanderthals (I believe there are some decent samples of Neanderthal DNA). The difficulties of that were covered by Isaac Asimov back in 1958 (The Ugly Little Boy), though the good doctor used time travel, not cloning to bring a Neanderthal to present times.

The real ethical question will arise for cloning Neanderthals (I believe there are some decent samples of Neanderthal DNA). The difficulties of that were covered by Isaac Asimov back in 1958 (The Ugly Little Boy), though the good doctor used time travel, not cloning to bring a Neanderthal to present times.

I think this has already been done. It's called a Tramichellius Obamarex, or something like that.

Don't think it will work. Mammoths aren't that close to Elephants. I really doubt the zygote would last a week, let alone the necessary three years.

Since DNA is entirely contextual there is no way for this to work.

• Banned
Don't think it will work. Mammoths aren't that close to Elephants. I really doubt the zygote would last a week, let alone the necessary three years.

I wouldn't discount it completely.

Those nips are a clever lot. :D

Same family. Seems about as closely related as African elephants are to Asian elephants...different genera in the same family. Perhaps you're thinking of Mastadons, which were a different family.

Clearly, biomolecules preserved in the matrix of historic and fossil eggshell represent a previously unrecognised and untapped source of DNA, the characterisation of which will assist in a range of archaeological, palaeontological, conservation and forensic applications.'

As I said in the other thread dealing with the exact same topic...

Mammoths co-existed with man until man wiped them out. There's no reason why cloned mammoths wouldn't do just fine today.

And Ravitaraus, you do realize they aren't dinosaurs. Right? Please say you do.

As I said in the other thread dealing with the exact same topic...

Mammoths co-existed with man until man wiped them out. There's no reason why cloned mammoths wouldn't do just fine today.

And Ravitaraus, you do realize they aren't dinosaurs. Right? Please say you do.

They have not proven man is the only reason why Mammoth are no longer.

the co-existed with man.
Man hunted them.
They became extinct.

The point is, they are contemporaries of ours, and they will be able to survive if they are somehow brought back.

the co-existed with man.
Man hunted them.
They became extinct.

The point is, they are contemporaries of ours, and they will be able to survive if they are somehow brought back.

the mammoth died by a epidemic. It was a bacteria which kiled all the big animals, even the rhinoceros and the big deers.

We are discussing this in science forum yet .

"
For the moment, most evidence seems to point in the direction of a gradual extinction, probably caused by a combination of climate change and overhunting by early North American human populations. This gradual decline, which began long before the proposed 13,000-year marker for the impact, continued up until as recently as 4,000 years ago, when a population of dwarf mammoths was still living on an island off the coast of mainland Alaska."

Read more at Suite101: Were Mammoths Wiped Out by a Killer Comet? Were Mammoths Wiped Out by a Killer Comet?

"
A number of theories have developed to explain the extinction of these mega beasts, these include:

•Climatic change. Possibly the change in temperature brought about a change in environmental conditions so quickly that these mega beasts couldn't adapt. For example a change in the type of vegetation? However the counter argument to this is the development of pygmy species.
•Competition from Man. With the arrival of humans, mega beasts faced increased competition for space and over hunting.
•Hyper disease Hypothesis
The reason for the extinction of the mammoth and other mega beasts such as Sabre Toothed cats, Woolly Rhino and Giant Ground Sloth all around the same time has yet to be discovered, especially when populations of Mammoth, for example those on Wrangle Island, a 2000 square miles land mass in the Chukchi Sea off north eastern Siberia, existed until 4,000 years ago."

Read more at Suite101: The Mammoth, A Brief History: From Giant Steppe to Pgymy Mammoth The Mammoth, A Brief History: From Giant Steppe to Pgymy Mammoth

The disease theory is just one of several.

But the most likely reason for Mammoth extinction...man:

" A new analysis of the extinction of woolly mammoths and other large mammals more than 10,000 years ago suggests that they may have fallen victim to the same type of "trophic cascade" of ecosystem disruption that scientists say is being caused today by the global decline of predators such as wolves, cougars, and sharks.

In each case the cascading events were originally begun by human disruption of ecosystems, a new study concludes, but around 15,000 years ago the problem was not the loss of a key predator, but the addition of one -- human hunters with spears."

Extinction of woolly mammoth, saber-toothed cat may have been caused by human predators

These are recent articles.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back