Is a political party essentially a union?

They don't have anti-trust exemptions like unions do.

You mean like Baseball, football, etc does?
could you elaborate a bit on those anti trust exemptions and how the political parties do not have them?

Seems to me the two parties have things pretty much sewn up in a 2 way split monopoly.
It is hell for any other party to try and start up now.

could you elaborate a bit on those anti trust exemptions and how the political parties do not have them?

Seems to me the two parties have things pretty much sewn up in a 2 way split monopoly.

Look up the word MONOPOLY...and NO, not the game.

I said essientially.

Can someone more intelligent than Revere and T comment please?
And let me know if I am too far off base with this trian of thought?

I said essientially.

You are asking of anti trust...which is a correct answer that the UNIONS are not subject to. You then asked a question to which I gave an answer. I cannot help it if you don't like the answers.

Educate yourself is the point.

I said essientially.

You are asking of anti trust...which is a correct answer that the UNIONS are not subject to. You then asked a question to which I gave an answer. I cannot help it if you don't like the answers.

Educate yourself is the point.

I am trying to if I could keep the gnats away.

Political parties are voluntary organizations you can join or not as you choose. In most unionized workspaces, membership is compulsory.

If you don't like how the party is run, you can leave with no repercussion. In a union environment, you don't like the union you can lump it or quit your job.

Yeah, the Republican Union thugs will beat you senseless if you look the wrong way. Corrupt bastards.

Political parties are voluntary organizations you can join or not as you choose. In most unionized workspaces, membership is compulsory.

If you don't like how the party is run, you can leave with no repercussion. In a union environment, you don't like the union you can lump it or quit your job.

Actually I have worked in 3 union environments in my lifetime. In all 3 cases membership was my choice. I joined one but not the other 2. And actually filed a grievance on a union VP for harassing me to join and won.

some areas of the country are very strrong union, but not most of the country.
Except for the public employees unions.

Yes you can quit a party, but you cannot escape their results.
Their impact is far broader than any union.
They have it sewn up so that it is almost impossible to form another party.

Last edited:

Unions are voluntary organizations you can join or not as you choose. In most political partys, membership is compulsory.

Cough...........that is the same thing. Here, try it out.

If you don't like how the party is run, you can lump it or quit your party.

In a union environment, you don't like the union you can leave with no repercussion.

Last edited:
My main point is that partys like unions are out for the benefit of their members, or so they lead the members to believe anyway.

also with most unions if enough members dislike the way the union does things they can do away with them.

Last edited:
They are both out for the benefit of their membership.
With some corruption thrown in.

The unions are not out for the benefit of its members. Unions are out for dues.

You can loosely say a political party's are for the benefit of its membership. Political parties do not DEMAND that you join or pay dues.

I would call them both organized crime.

You can loosely say a political party's are for the benefit of its membership. Political parties do not DEMAND that you join or pay dues.

Then again, Corporations do DEMAND you join the good ol' boy clubs & pay your dues when asked. I have never seen so many golfers in mah whole life.

Then again, Corporations do DEMAND you join the good ol' boy clubs & pay your dues when asked. I have never seen so many golfers in mah whole life.

Corporations do NOT demand that you join a golf club. Smart executives know its not about the golfing but the deals made on the greens. NOT joining a golf club would make you a DUMB executive. Joining one is all voluntary.

I would call them both organized crime.
Never been in a union?
Many unions also have retirement systems and strike benefits for it's members.
I am no fan of unions however i grew up in the coal fields of eastern KY and say what unions gained for their members.
Prior to unions workers had no benefits at all. children 12 yrs old worked in the unions, if one was killed in the mine the widow/remaining family got nothing.
there were times when all the male members of a family were wiped out in a mine disaster. The mine owner quickly evicted the widow and female children from the company owned housing.

there were virtually no labor laws back then. The unions essientially brought labor laws to the mines.

yes unions do get corrupt same as political parties have. However none of the unions we have now wields the kind of power either of our political partys do now.

Most of the anti union sentiment now is spawned by political partys and corportations for their own gain, not for the gains of the workers, union or non union.

Forum List

Back