Is A Hijab A Symbol Of Misogyny?

OK I do not think it is a symbol of
misogyny and more than is a bra-----or
high heeled shoes----or FRILLY APRONS

None of those are mandated by a religion that believes in theocratic rule.

actually----any religion that at any time was
a STATE RELIGION----can be considered one that "believes in theocratic rule"-----
which includes just about all religions

OK I do not think it is a symbol of
misogyny and more than is a bra-----or
high heeled shoes----or FRILLY APRONS

None of those are mandated by a religion that believes in theocratic rule.

actually----any religion that at any time was
a STATE RELIGION----can be considered one that "believes in theocratic rule"-----
which includes just about all religions

There is no Church of America and no one tells American women what to wear except......Islam apparently. You should be standing up to this anti-female bullshit.

Why does Omar choose the 'fashion fad' of a religion that denigrates, abuses and treats women as slaves today? She wears her hijab like it's part of her body it ain't a 'fad' for her.

Setting aside the dumb, ignorant misrepresentations above, Omar is a member of Congress. There are ways to contact members of Congress. Why don't you figure it out, ask her the question, since it's such a burning issue for you. You might actually learn a thing or two, and maybe even learn to respect a woman's choice of garment.

Already figured it out. Most in this thread say she is trying to shove her religion up our asses.

Now, all you need to explain is why we ought to listen to what the islamophobic pinheads and ignoramuses say.

Now, all you need to explain is why we ought to listen to what the islamophobic pinheads and ignoramuses say.

And, all you need to do is explain why men requiring women to wear certain headgear is not misogyny.

And, all you need to do is explain why men requiring women to wear certain headgear is not misogyny.

Too stupid to keep your bullshit straight?

That's your thesis:

"Most in this thread say she is trying to shove her religion up our asses."

Now, since you failed to support the validity of that crap in any way, you are on to "men requiring women to wear certain headgear", when, in fact, my first post to this thread was this:

The hijab is a symbol of female modesty. In itself it isn't evidence of misogyny. Men dictating to women (outside work requirements) what they must (not) wear, is.

Your hatred and resentments make you stupid, even more so than your ignorance does.

Too stupid to keep your bullshit straight?

That's your thesis:

"Most in this thread say she is trying to shove her religion up our asses."

Now, since you failed to support the validity of that crap in any way, you are on to "men requiring women to wear certain headgear", when, in fact, my first post to this thread was this:

The hijab is a symbol of female modesty. In itself it isn't evidence of misogyny. Men dictating to women (outside work requirements) what they must (not) wear, is.

Your hatred and resentments make you stupid, even more so than your ignorance does.

So you can’t answer other than calling me names. Typical of the intolerant zealots if you ask me.

Why does Omar choose the 'fashion fad' of a religion that denigrates, abuses and treats women as slaves today? She wears her hijab like it's part of her body it ain't a 'fad' for her.

Setting aside the dumb, ignorant misrepresentations above, Omar is a member of Congress. There are ways to contact members of Congress. Why don't you figure it out, ask her the question, since it's such a burning issue for you. You might actually learn a thing or two, and maybe even learn to respect a woman's choice of garment.

Already figured it out. Most in this thread say she is trying to shove her religion up our asses.

what is an "islamophobic pinhead"?

what is an "islamophobic pinhead"?
I wouldn’t known much about the hijab but most people would be shocked about the belt that Christians wore and do so unknowingly today and of course the infamous yellow star or badge Jews wore in the Ottaman empire...The fez is also another interesting one but I digress at least one doesn’t have to show our Dhimini status here in the western countries and if I remember correctly the the Jews of Yemen were not allowed to ride camels as they would be higher then a Muslim so while they prayed they swayed back and forth like they were riding a camel to mock this prohibition against them being able to ride camels... I could go on and on...

I wouldn’t known much about the hijab but most people would be shocked about the belt that Christians wore and do so unknowingly today and of course the infamous yellow star or badge Jews wore in the Ottaman empire...The fez is also another interesting one but I digress at least one doesn’t have to show our Dhimini status here in the western countries and if I remember correctly the the Jews of Yemen were not allowed to ride camels as they would be higher then a Muslim so while they prayed they swayed back and forth like they were riding a camel to mock this prohibition against them being able to ride camels... I could go on and on...

So, you don't know much about the subject of this thread. So.....Why did you post this convoluted diatribe? Oh I get it.....:smoke:

Why must Muslim women constantly wear head coverings? I read it is because the woman is obeying and submitting to Allah. Remember, Islam is ruled by males.

Purdah came out of Persia long before Islam,

The difference is whether a person dons a garment VOLUNTARILY to signify his/her faith or is forced by others to do so. If one wishes to wear a kippa, a hijab, or anything else as an outward sign of their faith, I am all for them. If they are forced to do so by others, it is a crime. No person can force another to believe.

Unfortunately there are some people who seem to think that they are entitled to force their beliefs on others on the basis of gender. They are disgusting. What goes on in a woman's or a man's heart is sacred and personal.

Last edited:
The difference is whether a person dons a garment VOLUNTARILY to signify his/her faith or is forced by others to do so. If one wishes to wear a kippa, a hijab, or anything else as an outward sign of their faith, I am all for them. If they are forced to do so by others, it is a crime. No person can force another to believe.

Unfortunately there are some people who seem to think that they are entitled to force their beliefs on others on the basis of gender. They are disgusting. What goes on in a woman's or a man's heart is sacred and personal.
Just a little problem there:

Subjugated women that wear these gross coverings under threat of violence and of losing their families and friends may say they WANT to wear them. That is no kind of "choice", though.

Just a little problem there:

Subjugated women that wear these gross coverings under threat of violence and of losing their families and friends may say they WANT to wear them. That is no kind of "choice", though.
I know. One of the most negative characteristics of almost all religions is forcing women to obey the meanderings of so-called "religious leaders" in order to maintain their emotional connections to the people they love. Many religions, including Christianity, condition female people's continued participation in society on accepting and conforming to the ingrained misogyny and misogynistic practices imposed on them by organized religions. Faith is voluntary.

Personal history: I was born a Catholic. I remember as a little kid having to pin a tissue on my head so that I could enter the church, something that males were not required to do. A nun confronted me on the steps of St. Peter's in Rome when I was a teenager there with my family because I was wearing a sleeveless blouse selected for me by my mother who apparently spent her whole life wishing that she was the next Virgin Mary and gazed at the Cross through a lace mantilla. Yeah, I stuffed some tissues into my blouse to cover my shoulders, but it was such a lesson in what misogynistic bullshit organized religion really was.

Anything that a person wishes to wear as a sign of their faith is okay by me. But it must be entirely voluntary.

But it must be entirely voluntary.
Yes. But i refuse accept any "voluntary" rate of this behavior above 0%:

eebfb6dafd79cf7008a6ed3181ec4194.jpg

Yes. But i refuse accept any "voluntary" rate of this behavior above 0%:

eebfb6dafd79cf7008a6ed3181ec4194.jpg

I think that we actually are agreeing with each other. No forced equipment on anyone. If you wish to wear it, freely, I will help you. Like I told you, I had to go through the Catholic crapola because I am female, and it certainly built resentment.

I know. One of the most negative characteristics of almost all religions is forcing women to obey the meanderings of so-called "religious leaders" in order to maintain their emotional connections to the people they love. Many religions, including Christianity, condition female people's continued participation in society on accepting and conforming to the ingrained misogyny and misogynistic practices imposed on them by organized religions. Faith is voluntary.

Personal history: I was born a Catholic. I remember as a little kid having to pin a tissue on my head so that I could enter the church, something that males were not required to do. A nun confronted me on the steps of St. Peter's in Rome when I was a teenager there with my family because I was wearing a sleeveless blouse selected for me by my mother who apparently spent her whole life wishing that she was the next Virgin Mary and gazed at the Cross through a lace mantilla. Yeah, I stuffed some tissues into my blouse to cover my shoulders, but it was such a lesson in what misogynistic bullshit organized religion really was.

Anything that a person wishes to wear as a sign of their faith is okay by me. But it must be entirely voluntary.

Same thing happened to me at St Peter's in Rome although I was 16.

Same thing happened to me at St Peter's in Rome although I was 16.

Wow! Another one! I was around 16, too! Maybe the same nun got both of us with our sinful bad shoulders. Did you see the skeletons in the catacombs with the bare lights in the ceilings? I was there with my Mrs. Holy Mantilla Mother, and her little sister, my godmother and a USAF officer stationed in Izmir, Turkey. My aunt and I were in hysterics at the garden where there was a female statute out of whose breasts the water shot out, but we agreed that Mrs. Mantilla's attention should not be directed toward it.

I grew up in a weird situation. I have the papers to show that I am the biological offspring of Mrs. Mantilla and my long-suffering father, but I did meet people who thought that I was the biological daughter of my aunt. She was an RN and was there with hours (minutes?) after my birth and she was there with me always until her death. So I grew up in the same household as Mrs. Manilla, who was a totally cold fish, while being watched over many times from afar by my aunt while she traveled to globe with the USAF. At one point, she wanted me to go to the American University of Beirut. When she lived in Bangkok, after Vietnam, I wanted to find my way to her so badly, but couldn't. She asked me what I wanted her to bring, and I said, fearing that she would spend money, I told her that I wanted a pink elephant. I got it.

I lost my aunt, who was my elder sister, when I was in my twenties. She was afforded military honors at her funeral, including the gun salute. Decades later I tended to Mrs. Mantilla in bed with the oxygen tanks, held her hand when she died with a flower that I placed on her pillow, and presided over her funeral.

The end of a schizophrenic saga. To me, my aunt was my mother.

Wow! Another one! I was around 16, too! Maybe the same nun got both of us with our sinful bad shoulders. Did you see the skeletons in the catacombs with the bare lights in the ceilings? I was there with my Mrs. Holy Mantilla Mother, and her little sister, my godmother and a USAF officer stationed in Izmir, Turkey. My aunt and I were in hysterics at the garden where there was a female statute out of whose breasts the water shot out, but we agreed that Mrs. Mantilla's attention should not be directed toward it.

I grew up in a weird situation. I have the papers to show that I am the biological offspring of Mrs. Mantilla and my long-suffering father, but I did meet people who thought that I was the biological daughter of my aunt. She was an RN and was there with hours (minutes?) after my birth and she was there with me always until her death. So I grew up in the same household as Mrs. Manilla, who was a totally cold fish, while being watched over many times from afar by my aunt while she traveled to globe with the USAF. At one point, she wanted me to go to the American University of Beirut. When she lived in Bangkok, after Vietnam, I wanted to find my way to her so badly, but couldn't. She asked me what I wanted her to bring, and I said, fearing that she would spend money, I told her that I wanted a pink elephant. I got it.

I lost my aunt, who was my elder sister, when I was in my twenties. She was afforded military honors at her funeral, including the gun salute. Decades later I tended to Mrs. Mantilla in bed with the oxygen tanks, held her hand when she died with a flower that I placed on her pillow, and presided over her funeral.

The end of a schizophrenic saga. To me, my aunt was my mother.

I had a lot of friends at AUB.. Great school. I spent half the summer in Italy when I was sixteen with another girl from the oil camp.

Sounds like you did have a strange childhood. Maybe that made you who you are now... and that's good.

I had a lot of friends at AUB.. Great school. I spent half the summer in Italy when I was sixteen with another girl from the oil camp.

Sounds like you did have a strange childhood. Maybe that made you who you are now... and that's good.
Thank you. I did not include the fact that my only sibling is a strange five-year-older brother who got involved in some KKK/John Bircher thing while a teenager, spewed "Martin Coon" crap in our house, and refused to come to family dinner. Mrs. Mantilla took him a tray of food while my father and I dined alone at the family table. I never could invite friends to my house. I finally went to the guidance counselors at my high school to ask that I could go to a foster family and they called Mrs. Mantilla. Mrs. Mantilla told me later on that they agreed that I was a very spoiled little girl because Mrs. Mantilla bought me fancy clothes from Lord and Taylors. I had many fancy dresses growing up.

Now the local mental-health group is looking after my brother. I just sent him a df fresh clothes and goodies. He now knows that he cannot dominate me any more and I, the person whom he beat up in the shower and destroyed all the things that I brought back from London as a teenager, am in charge. I did not abandon my brother. When his bowels had to be disconnect and he was in the ICU in New Jersey, I was there from Virginia to feed him ice-pops and cut his hair, ,myself sleeping on the sofa in the ICU knowing that I had a five-hour drive ahead of me. After he refused bowel reconnection surgery, I personally walked his gurney to the surgery suite to have his bowels reattached, I promised him that that I would that I would be there when he woke up and I was.

I have had a strange life, some who loved me and some who were supposed to love me but used me instead. Through it all, I wish that I was back with my my one true mother in the USAF.

Forum List

Back