Is a business allowed to violate civil rights?

The country was founded on the principal of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...the federal documents (the constitution) includes the bill of rights. If someone wants to be an American and/or operate in America they cannot act in an un-American manner and violate someone else's civil rights.
What liberty do you really have if someone can refuse to serve you a meal simply because of your skin color?

They can't? :eek: The citizens of Arizona have their constitutional rights taken away each and every day and you seem to be fine with that.

really?

and what rights might those be?

can you list even 1 constitutional right that they have "taken away each and every day"?

Curves is a private club, not an establishment that is open to the public. One pays membership fees to use their equipment. A bad example.
I am a man, I have money and am willing to pay. They won't let me join. I am being discriminated against. The only criteria for not allowing me to join is my sex.
So you don't think there is a difference between a private club and a business that is open to the public. Fine by me.

I'm more interested in hearing the opinion of those that think it is okay for a business to violate someone's civil rights but neither the government nor an individual can.

I don't want anyone discriminated against, but I am a realist. We are all discriminated against in some way. The Negro College fund is not giving scholarships to white kids - that is discrimination against non-blacks. Curves does not allow men to join - that is discrimination against non-women. The VFW does not allow non-veterans of foreign wars to join - that is discrimination against now-veterans of foreign wars. etc, etc, ad nauseum. The fact is we will never be able to legislate against stupidity or ignorance.

Good luck finding someone who fits your narrow debate criteria........wait a second!! I am being discriminated against!!!! :lol:

The country was founded on the principal of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...the federal documents (the constitution) includes the bill of rights. If someone wants to be an American and/or operate in America they cannot act in an un-American manner and violate someone else's civil rights.

What liberty do you really have if someone can refuse to serve you a meal simply because of your skin color?

So someone is forced to serve you? Do they not have the right to deny service to anyone they so choose?

I was once refused service at a restaurant because I refused to wear a tie. Should I have filed a law suit?

You always have the freedom to make your own lunch.

They can't? :eek: The citizens of Arizona have their constitutional rights taken away each and every day and you seem to be fine with that.

really?

and what rights might those be?

can you list even 1 constitutional right that they have "taken away each and every day"?

Every time they're assaulted, robbed or killed by an illegal alien their constitutional rights are violated.

So someone is forced to serve you? Do they not have the right to deny service to anyone they so choose?

I was once refused service at a restaurant because I refused to wear a tie. Should I have filed a law suit?

No one is forced to open a restaurant. So no, no one is forced to serve anyone. However, if they do open a restaurant, how can they choose to violate someone's civil rights (and no a neck tie doesn't qualify)?

No one is forced to open a restaurant. So no, no one is forced to serve anyone. However, if they do open a restaurant, how can they choose to violate someone's civil rights (and no a neck tie doesn't qualify)?

So denying service because of not wearing a fucking tie doesn't count as discrimination?

The only reason why the skin color issue is pertinent to you in this case is because of how sensitive the issue is to society.

In reality, there is no difference between no soup for you because of attire, and no soup for you because of skin color.

conservative businesses and christians have the RIGHT OF ASSOCIATION.

That means that they can hire or fire based upon their political, social and religious beliefs.

forcing them to hire undesirable (gays, jews, blacks, feminists, atheists, liberals) would be an UNCONSTITUTIONAL denial of their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS and FREEDOMS!

on the other hand
NONconservative/NON_christian businesses can NOT refuse to hire conservatives or christians...

because THAT would be DISCRIMINATION and BIGOTRY!
it would be an UNCONSTITUTIONAL denial of the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS of conservatives and christians

and that explains that......

So denying service because of not wearing a fucking tie doesn't count as discrimination?

The only reason why the skin color issue is pertinent to you in this case is because of how sensitive the issue is to society.

In reality, there is no difference between no soup for you because of attire, and no soup for you because of skin color.
You have GOT to be fucking kidding me.

Wowwww.

That means that they can hire or fire based upon their political, social and religious beliefs.

forcing them to hire undesirable (gays, jews, blacks, feminists, atheists, liberals) would be an UNCONSTITUTIONAL denial of their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS and FREEDOMS!

on the other hand
NONconservative/NON_christian businesses can NOT refuse to hire conservatives or christians...

it would be an UNCONSTITUTIONAL denial of the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS of conservatives and christians

EXCELLENT post . . . I think . . .

You ARE being critical of conservatives who would stamp on the civil rights of others and supportive of liberals who oppose such practices, right?

If so: :clap2:

If not, well, hmmmmm . . . .

on the other hand

EXCELLENT post . . . I think . . .

You ARE being critical of conservatives who would stamp on the civil rights of others and supportive of liberals who oppose such practices, right?

If so: :clap2:

If not, well, hmmmmm . . . .
I second that :clap2:

I'm pretty sure rikules fully engaged the sarcasm throttle, with superb effect.

Technically, you are correct. The pracital, net effect of refusing service to someone, for whatever reason, is that no service is extended to that person.

But that's where your distinction ends. Realistically, and LEGALLY, in today's America, there is a HUGE difference between refusing service to someone because of attire or because of skin color.

Think about it. What is the basic reason for refusing service to someone because of attire? Becauase the restaurant has a dress code - something they legally can do. And why do they want a dress code? In order to ensure a standard they want to maintain for their restaurant.

What is the basic reason for refusing service to someone because of skin color? Racial prejudice. There can be no other. THAT, is illegal, my friend. Look it up.

To put it another way, refusing service because of attire is a RATIONAL reason. Refusing service because of skin color is an IRRATIONAL (and illegal) reason.

Last edited:

This is gonna turn into a whine about Rand Paul, right?

Yeah, because it's soooooooooooooooo not germane.

The Tea Party people like to straddle the fence and avoid being nailed down on specific issues.

That's only going to get you so far.

Not sure how you are counting tie wearing or not as a civil right. Please explain.

on the other hand

:lol: Nice post.

I'm not trying to bash one side or another, though.

More or less, when you said: "Then there are the idiots that think violating one person's civil rights is perfectly fine, as long as it promotes their agenda."

I fail to see the connection. TruthMatters seems to think people have the right to trespass on private property in the name of civil rights. As that is actually a criminal offense as well as a violation of the property owner's civil rights that just makes him wrong. It says nothing about my support of the CRA.
When a business establishment doors are open to the public, they are not then simply "private property."

Private establishments, clubs, etc, yes. Any business open to the general public, no.

Are all businesse that are not specifically private open to the public?

Curves is a private club, not an establishment that is open to the public. One pays membership fees to use their equipment. A bad example.
I am a man, I have money and am willing to pay. They won't let me join. I am being discriminated against. The only criteria for not allowing me to join is my sex.
So you don't think there is a difference between a private club and a business that is open to the public. Fine by me.

I'm more interested in hearing the opinion of those that think it is okay for a business to violate someone's civil rights but neither the government nor an individual can.

There was a case recently where a restaurant posted that they would only serve customers that ordered in English. Did this violate anyone's civil rights?

New Topics

Forum List

Back