Is 18, too long?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
Do we coddle teenagers too much when it comes to education?
As curriculums are ever "dumbing" down. Kids should easily; and I mean, easily; complete a 12th grade education by 16, or in some cases even 15 years old.

So have we set the bar too low?

As curriculums are ever "dumbing" down. Kids should easily; and I mean, easily; complete a 12th grade education by 16, or in some cases even 15 years old.

150 years ago, American students knew Latin and were doing calculus at 14.

Those in school that is.

150 years ago, American students knew Latin and were doing calculus at 14.

Those in school that is.

I have to agree.

Yes.

We have extended childhood to the age of 25 or so.

If there's anything to slower paced lessons cause kids to drift off and pay less attention, then perhaps a more accelerated pace should be the default, and slower versions available as needed. I think if we set the bat too low, we get lower results. Set it higher and people will meet it. Especially nowadays with kids more plugged in than ever before.

Have to be careful though. One of the reasons Asia does so well academically is they stress the living crap out of kids and parents alike. We can certainly do much betetr than we do, but we shouldn't overemphasize things until we make higher education more affordable, or at the very least go back to how community college was in the beginning and make it free again. No point steering kids to college with accelerated academics if no one can afford it without going into lifelong debt.

Should adopt a European style model as well. Regular academics til about high school, then give kids the opportunity to continue with that or head into a technical school learning actual career skills like plumbing and whatnot.

Times have changed and technology has allowed kids to remain kids for longer. They don't have to grow up so fast anymore. Who would want to hire a 14-year-old anyways? Lol. Like I said, times have changed.

They no longer need a 3 month break to go work the farms, a month to be kids is enough.

And kids should be allowed to learn at their own pace, not the slowest kids pace.

Is anyone supposed to give a damn about Latin.

Yeah, I thought they were covering stuff too slowly when I was in 7th grade. Schools was BORING!

But this technology should make it possible for kids to learn at individual rates and still be reasonably monitored by teachers. We need to eliminate the classroom paradigm at least for kids that are self-motivated.

Science Fiction Bookshelf - Gutenberg

psik

"
People remain infants until age 26 and then go right into early middle age.
Don't believe me? Read Obamacare rules about coverage under parents health insurance."

I think later coverage is not a bad thing. What is bad about your kids being on your policy? Better than paying out of pocket as most could not afford it.

If there's anything to slower paced lessons cause kids to drift off and pay less attention, then perhaps a more accelerated pace should be the default, and slower versions available as needed. I think if we set the bat too low, we get lower results. Set it higher and people will meet it. Especially nowadays with kids more plugged in than ever before.

Have to be careful though. One of the reasons Asia does so well academically is they stress the living crap out of kids and parents alike. We can certainly do much betetr than we do, but we shouldn't overemphasize things until we make higher education more affordable, or at the very least go back to how community college was in the beginning and make it free again. No point steering kids to college with accelerated academics if no one can afford it without going into lifelong debt.

Should adopt a European style model as well. Regular academics til about high school, then give kids the opportunity to continue with that or head into a technical school learning actual career skills like plumbing and whatnot.
My daughters high school is doing just that. They have a program that trains select students for certain fields. My daughter is in the space and engineering program. They also have software programming, nursing, and automotive tech.

My daughters high school is doing just that. They have a program that trains select students for certain fields. My daughter is in the space and engineering program. They also have software programming, nursing, and automotive tech.

Space and engineering? Neat. Future warp field engineer. :)

My son is taking 4 AP classes. He's working like a dog, way harder than I ever did in high school.

I'm very proud of him.
I learned about AP classes from my oldest daughter. She graduated with a 4.8. I thought they had made a mistake when announcing her GPA because I had no clue you could get above a 4.0. :laugh:

The average sixth grader graduating from my elementary school could outscore the average high school aged kid of today on the SAT or ACT.

150 years ago, kids were fluent in Latin and doing calculus and trig at 14.

Hell yeah we coddle our kids.

Half can't read by grade 4, yet, those with literate parents that read to them learn to read by age 4.

Space and engineering? Neat. Future warp field engineer. :)
Its a pretty progressive school. I believe they are going to be adding some more programs soon. I know Cisco and Google both are sponsoring the IT programs.

There are no "young adults" anymore.

People remain infants until age 26 and then go right into early middle age.

Don't believe me? Read Obamacare rules about coverage under parents health insurance.
No son of mine slept a night under my roof except as a guest after HS graduation.

One is now retired at 40, the other, in grad school in marketing, and fishing virtually every day, Hell bent on being a sponsored pro bass fisherman.

In school on his own money and scholarships, BTW.

Forum List

Back