IRS Spent $1.4 Million on Long Term Travel in 2015

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
The IRS spent more than $1.4 million on long-term travel for just 27 employees in fiscal 2015, including on high-end car services and luxury apartment and hotel stays, a Senate report has found -- with one lawmaker blasting “woefully insufficient efforts” to reduce expenses at the agency.

The Senate Finance Committee report, obtained by FoxNews.com, found that while federal guidelines say employees must exercise the same care in incurring expenses as a “prudent person” traveling on personal business, IRS employees who traveled 125 business days or more racked up an average cost of over $52,000 a year.

The committee found more than half of the long-term travel time was spent in the Washington D.C., area. It found cases of five employees living in hotels, primarily in the capital, for months at a time without looking for lower-cost housing or having their per diem rates reduced as outlined in federal guidelines.

Further, the committee found “the IRS does not routinely or actively seek to reduce per diem rates for employees on long-term travel.”

The generous per diem rate allows employees traveling to Washington to spend up to $7,099 a month on lodging alone, despite the committee seeing “virtually no circumstance” in which an employee would need to spend that much on a month-to-month basis.

And yet some employees pushed the limits on the taxpayers' dime.

The report cites the case of one employee spending more than five months at the Grand Hyatt in Washington, racking up a $38,799 tab, while another stayed in a number of Washington hotels including the Ritz Carlton – Pentagon City in Northern Virginia to the tune of $72,544 for the fiscal year.

One employee rented a $1.07 million, four-bedroom townhouse in Arlington, Va., for a year, costing taxpayers $4,950 a month, while another stayed in a luxury apartment building in downtown Chicago overlooking the Chicago River at a price of $4,605 a month.

Also, despite the IRS’ own guidance to the contrary, the committee found evidence that some IRS executives are not geographically located where their primary job duties are, adding to the travel expenses.

“The number of employees who travel more than half of the year and the cost at which they do so is simply unacceptable,” the report said.

‘Luxury’ living: Senate report finds IRS workers racked up huge travel tab

This is called kleptocracy, and the Democrats are good at it.
Can you prove that only those that claim to be democrats took trips?

Do you question that the IRS is run by Democrats? Last time I checked, the President was Democrat, the VP was Democrat, the Secretary of Treasury was Democrat. I'm guessing that all those Democrats contributed to the air of invincibility and kleptocracy that this demonstrates.

Do you question that the IRS is run by Democrats? Last time I checked, the President was Democrat, the VP was Democrat, the Secretary of Treasury was Democrat. I'm guessing that all those Democrats contributed to the air of invincibility and kleptocracy that this demonstrates.
I am not sure, but neither are you, so we'll just say their were orgies and lamp shades worn..

I am not sure, but neither are you, so we'll just say their were orgies and lamp shades worn..

Actually, I'm absolutely positive that the Prez, VP, and SecTreas were Democrats. Further, I'm absolutely positive they were in charge. Also, I'm absolutely positive that they allowed - either thru negligence, incompetence, or collusion - these things to happen.

So, while you might waffle, I don't ....

Actually, I'm absolutely positive that the Prez, VP, and SecTreas were Democrats. Further, I'm absolutely positive they were in charge. Also, I'm absolutely positive that they allowed - either thru negligence, incompetence, or collusion - these things to happen.

I've yet to see their voting cards for which party they actually signed up for...The IRS fellows anyhow....Since IRS employees can keep working no matter which party the executive branch advertises..

I've yet to see their voting cards for which party they actually signed up for...The IRS fellows anyhow....Since IRS employees can keep working no matter which party the executive branch advertises..

I do believe I was speaking of the managers - all of which are well documented. Are you questioning Obama's political affiliation?

I do believe I was speaking of the managers - all of which are well documented. Are you questioning Obama's political affiliation?
Yep, he's certainly not a real democrat....Just like Trump is no party of God.........

Yep, he's certainly not a real democrat....Just like Trump is no party of God.........

... and now we wander off into Bizzaro Land, effectively ending any hope of intelligent discussion.

Don't worry. The Republicans have made it very clear they're now removing all oversight of government, so every government official in the Trump admin will be capable of far, far more corruption. It's a Republican administration, so there's no such thing as a criminal act, by definition.

And all the Trump voters here enthusiastically support that policy, being their corruption is soul-deep.

Forum List

Back