IRS Looters Shake Down Olympic Medalists

Don't let that sense of world class accomplishment and warm glow of patriotism get to your heads, ladies and gents, your rich uncle in the District of Criminals wants his protection payola.

LONDON – Allison Schmitt swam a sizzling final leg to lead the U.S. to a gold medal in the 4x200 freestyle relay Wednesday.

Congratulations, Allison. You now owe the IRS $26,679.

That’s what she gets for winning two golds, a silver and a bronze medal at the Olympics. It takes years of training and sacrifice to get to win one for your country, and this is how your country thanks you?

Doesn’t exactly make you proud to be an American.

<snip>

Yikes, I don’t even want to think about what Phelps has had to pay over the years. Whatever the figure, Occupy Wall Street protesters would say it’s not even a fair share. They never swam 50 miles a week to get to the top of the medal stand.

Olympics 2012: Medal tax is all the thanks U.S. Olympic athletes get - London Olympics 2012 - Sporting News

It's maddening! I can see when you win a prize on a game show or the lottery....(within reason) but that is downright sick. It's not even full gold it's gold plated as in a silver/nickle base with gold on top. sheesh and ovr 20 grand in taxes? what a ripoff. and I heard we are the ONLY country to tax our athletes on their medals. so so sad
:sad:

Don't let that sense of world class accomplishment and warm glow of patriotism get to your heads, ladies and gents, your rich uncle in the District of Criminals wants his protection payola.

LONDON – Allison Schmitt swam a sizzling final leg to lead the U.S. to a gold medal in the 4x200 freestyle relay Wednesday.

Congratulations, Allison. You now owe the IRS $26,679.

That’s what she gets for winning two golds, a silver and a bronze medal at the Olympics. It takes years of training and sacrifice to get to win one for your country, and this is how your country thanks you?

Doesn’t exactly make you proud to be an American.

<snip>

Yikes, I don’t even want to think about what Phelps has had to pay over the years. Whatever the figure, Occupy Wall Street protesters would say it’s not even a fair share. They never swam 50 miles a week to get to the top of the medal stand.

Olympics 2012: Medal tax is all the thanks U.S. Olympic athletes get - London Olympics 2012 - Sporting News

It's maddening! I can see when you win a prize on a game show or the lottery....(within reason) but that is downright sick. It's not even full gold it's gold plated as in a silver/nickle base with gold on top. sheesh and ovr 20 grand in taxes? what a ripoff. and I heard we are the ONLY country to tax our athletes on their medals. so so sad

The medals should not be taxed

Prize money is fair game

The medals should not be taxed

Prize money is fair game

The Medals are not taxed as I read it, Only the Cash prize, and Remember if they have no other income and win 1 gold and pay the roughly 9 K tax then make no more money. They will get most of it back in a Tax Return check when they file. only if their Income gets up over 65k Will they actually end up paying much at all.

This is actually pretty funny to watch. People that Normally have no problem with Raising other peoples taxes are just shocked that if you win 75,000 Dollars in Prizes you pay 33% of it in taxes just to the Fed.

Welcome to the 1% lol.

Just wait till you make your first million and find out after state, Local and Fed Taxes you actually only get to keep 450,000 dollars. lol

This is actually pretty funny to watch. People that Normally have no problem with Raising other peoples taxes are just shocked that if you win 75,000 Dollars in Prizes you pay 33% of it in taxes just to the Fed.

Welcome to the 1% lol.

Just wait till you make your first million and find out after state, Local and Fed Taxes you actually only get to keep 450,000 dollars. lol

Someone that made 75,000 in prizes wouldn't pay 33% to the fed. They'd pay about 15%....and most likely less as they can deduct all their expenses. They very well might get the entire amount refunded.

Not for nuthin', but in context, the story isn't as bad as the article suggests.

U.S. Olympic Athlete wins a gold medal. In addition to the hunk of medal with some gold layered on it, he gets a check in the amount of $25,000.00 from the U.S. Olympic Committee. THAT'S what the IRS taxes.

At a rate of say 33%, what does the tax come to? About $8,250.00 That leaves the U.S. Olympic Gold Medalists with the gold medal AND $16,750.00

Yes, but I don't think they should have to pay anything. They won that medal and that prize money, its a reward, and it should be tax free.

Welcome to the 1% lol.

really? no dediuctions?

no mortgage?

no interest payments?

no business travel expenses?

no itemization?

no deferred income?

what were you saying? :eusa_whistle:

Not for nuthin', but in context, the story isn't as bad as the article suggests.

U.S. Olympic Athlete wins a gold medal. In addition to the hunk of medal with some gold layered on it, he gets a check in the amount of $25,000.00 from the U.S. Olympic Committee. THAT'S what the IRS taxes.

At a rate of say 33%, what does the tax come to? About $8,250.00 That leaves the U.S. Olympic Gold Medalists with the gold medal AND $16,750.00

Yes, but I don't think they should have to pay anything. They won that medal and that prize money, its a reward, and it should be tax free.

Why?

If I win a fucking lottery, I gotta pay taxes.

If I do amazing work for science or literature or world peace (and I mean real stuff, not the crap that got the Pres. his Nobel prize) and I legitimately earn the Nobel Prize, I have to pay taxes.

Is winning a medal for the home country (as cool and as fun as it may be) really worth more than the work that earns a Nobel prize in science?

Prizes should be tax free? You have shit for brains. People like you enable our government to grow more corrupt with every passing year.

Forum List

Back