IRS ditches free e-filing

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Have you heard about this? I think the motivation is to protect IRS jobs.

IRS ditches free e-filing for some
The IRS has had a deal with several tax preparation firms that allow people to file their taxes for free online. It saves the IRS a ton of money and gives those companies a lot of publicity. But the IRS has decided to do away with this program. It has instead formed an alliance with these firms and decided that only people making less than $50,000 a year can file for free. So, if you make more than $50,000, you will have to pay to file electronically at the IRS Web site. Clark thinks this stinks. The IRS makes more money off people who make more money because of all the work that goes into their complicated returns. Tell us what you think about it in our latest poll...

Mr. P said:

Good thing I make so little or I'd have to ask for a cutback! :shocked: :laugh: Another silver lining!

Mr. P said:

could be. when i worked there last year they were always crying about efiles taking their jobs because there were less paper files. Even though we had work up till memorial day which is standard.

insein said:
could be. when i worked there last year they were always crying about efiles taking their jobs because there were less paper files. Even though we had work up till memorial day which is standard.
That's what I'm thinking the motivation is..another thing..you may be able to answer this...

Without e-filing errors will no doubt increase due to keying of returns causing penalties/interest. I've heard that that is the tax payers problem, not the IRSs' problem, do you know?

How much will it cost to e-file? This is the sux! I have e-filed for the past ten years, since they first offered it.

Mr. P said:
That's what I'm thinking the motivation is..another thing..you may be able to answer this...

Without e-filing errors will no doubt increase due to keying of returns causing penalties/interest. I've heard that that is the tax payers problem, not the IRSs' problem, do you know?

From what ive seen, the IRS is a big beuracracy where instead of efficiency they catch everything with layers upon layers upon layers. First it comes in off of the truck. The mail room sorts them according to foreign, domestic and efiles. Some get screwed up in that and when they reach the tax examiners, the stragglers are sorted to their correct departments. The TE's then go over simple requirments. Make sure there are values on key lines. Make sure they reach a certain amount. If some requirement that we look at isnt met (name, address, money amounts, etc), we send it to the tax payer. They don't add anything or compute anything. It then goes to accounting. Accounting makes sure all the numbers meet up. If they don't they correspond to the tax payer. After that there might be another layer but im not sure. Then it goes to the data entry people. They receive a supposedly finished tax form and enter it all into the computer to go out for refund or to send notice of funds needed.

Its a big machine and the total process takes about 3 weeks for 1 form to get to the end result after sitting in the mountainous piles. An efile has its own department where most of the stuff is done already. Since it doesnt need to be mailed, the process is shorter.

But every manager there said to tell are our relatives to not efile if we wanted to work longer into the summer. Which ultimately doesnt matter because they kick you out by memorial day anyway to save on vacation pay.

no1tovote4 said:
How much will it cost to e-file? This is the sux! I have e-filed for the past ten years, since they first offered it.

I agree!!! I've been using Turbo-tax for years. Anything to make a little more money.

Forum List

Back