Irrationality Vs. Science In The UK

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Madeline, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    NHS funding for homeopathy risks misleading patients, says chief scientist | Science | The Guardian

Is this also a problem in the US? As best I can tell, no government insurance program here covers "magic potions". We do fund some questionable research, though.

Discuss.

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Apparently, I spoke too soon......

Junk Medicine and Health Care Reform: Where Was the Scientific Community? | Center for Inquiry

Well, doctors and scientists? How could you have allowed this to happen?

3. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    the placebo effect is real. people want to think they are doing something, anything. just having someone hear about your problems and care, is psychologically important. humans aren't naturally logical thinkers so superstitions and rituals are comforting. that said, govts should not financially support hocus pocus because that gives it status at the expense of legitimate treatments.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Have clinical trials tests been done to determine their efficacy?

Apparently clinical trials of a "high methodological quality" have not been done.

source

More effective than a placebo is the STANDARD for efficacy for non-homeopathic medicine, folks.

Yeah if you're thinking that's a very low theshold for determining if a medicine is effective, I agree.

Looks to me like the SCIENCE hasn't yet been done to really know if these medicines are effective.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Everything will be covered Madeline. Boob jobs, penile implants, trips to brothels, pot, heroin needles, Jenny Craig, voodoo... And it will all be free!!!

6. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Read your own link, Madeline. It wasn't doctors and scientists who allowed this to happen.

Idiot.

7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I litigated a case for Medicaid over the Durable Medical Equipment rules. At 21, far less is offered a patient on Medicaid than is provided to children. The named plaintiff in my case was a Cerebral Palsy kid, 22, who could no longer get such things as unlimited sterile catheters. A heartbreaker, and I think that aspect of the rule was wrong. But his lawyers took the POV that Medicaid had to pay for anything his MDs scripted.

I won, but if I had lost, I see no reason (legally) why his MDs could not have scripted $200 Air Jordans and the government be obligated to pay for them. This attitude of "it's entirely up to my doctor" would have completely blown up the budget -- and off all the aspects of Medicaid, nothing begins to compare with the level of fraud involved in Durable Medical Equipment, because the providers of these goods need no medical professional license to get a Medicaid Provider Number and commence to bill.

I do not agree with editec; we ought not have to fund any and all therapies, procedures, equipment and drugs unless and until there is evidence they do not work. Instead, IMO we should funds drugs, treatments and durables that science has shown do work. And by more than a smidgen of proof...and the government should not fund the research needed. Why should the taxpayers fund snipe hunts? I doubt there is any medical validity to more'n one "old wives' tale" out of 100,000.

Do I need a scientific study, funded by the CDC, to tell me copper bracelets do not alleviate arthritus?

No....no I don't.

Just one more aspect of the benighted health care law that badly needs amending. I am beginning to think we should repeal....and I am very much in favor of universal coverage. but there are just too many defects and not enough of an upside to keeping this law.

Amazing, what lobbyists get up to behind our backs, ain't it?

8. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    The scientific community did not raise an alarm, did not advocate for rationality and did not make an appearance in an effort to frustrate the greed of the "homeopaths".

We all have to shoulder some blame, but as to this failure of government, IMO, our scientists get the lions' share.

9. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    First, fix your quote of my words. As it is now, you gave yourself credit for my words.

Secondly, you are an idiot. Your own link demonstrates exactly who is to blame for this.

Or, are you yet another idiot who thinks science mixes well with politics? Apparently you are. I am not surprised. You contradict yourself in this post alone. You demonstrate no organization of thought. At all.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Gotta love it---forced by the govt to get health insurance and then you are told what kind of treatment is best for you.