Irony Alert! Fox News’ Stossel Says “Dumb People” Shouldn’t Vote

On yesterday’s (1/12/12) Your World, Fox Business Channel’s John Stossel added another bogus argument to the Republican War on Voting when he told host Neil Cavuto that “we shouldn’t have these get-out-the-vote campaigns” because “our intuition sets us astray in a modern economy” and “dumb” or uninformed people shouldn’t vote. That’s pretty funny coming from the channel whose viewers have been shown to be less informed about major news stories than the average American.

Read more

Are you saying you think dumb people should vote? I assume you're including yourself.

His statements make him look like a dick, but hey, the dick has a point. Instead of just telling young people to vote, we should teach and encourage them to participate and pay attention to current events and become informed citizens. Merely having the right to vote, as Tocqueville so naively assumed, does not inspire a proud, patriotic or informed population.

But the way he phrased it was beyond idiotic, especially since he singled out young people, ignoring that old people have just as much capacity for not being informed.

That hasn't worked for 200 years. A far easier and more effective solution would be to keep stupid people from voting.

His statements make him look like a dick, but hey, the dick has a point. Instead of just telling young people to vote, we should teach and encourage them to participate and pay attention to current events and become informed citizens. Merely having the right to vote, as Tocqueville so naively assumed, does not inspire a proud, patriotic or informed population.

But the way he phrased it was beyond idiotic, especially since he singled out young people, ignoring that old people have just as much capacity for not being informed.

That hasn't worked for 200 years. A far easier and more effective solution would be to keep stupid people from voting.

You want to take away someone's constitutional rights based on how smart they are?

This is just more harebrained wingnut fantasy trying to come up with a way to jigger the electoral process in a way that would overcome the simple fact that rightwingers are a silly minority.

This is just more harebrained wingnut fantasy trying to come up with a way to jigger the electoral process in a way that would overcome the simple fact that rightwingers are a silly minority.

How many Dem Presidents received more than 50% of the popular vote since the end of WWII?
How many Republican Presidents?

No... I'm saying that stupid people(i.e. Fox "News" viewers) shouldn't be listening to people calling for a ban on stupid people from voting...but that's part of the irony they are too stupid to know..kinda like sheep cheering for a slaughter house.

Well.......lets call a spade a spade here.........Democrats would never win an election if not for extreme ignorance on the part of a huge majority of their base. The hordes of the stupids that mindlessly pull the lever for a Democrat.......its not even debatable. And really......gotta hand it to the liberal politician who exploits them.

Stossel makes a good point.........in order to vote, Ive always felt that the voter should be able to display some basic knowledge of civics. Millions of people who vote Dem at a general election would tell you they are fine with Sarah Palin being Obama's running mate. And their vote is worth the same as mine!!! WTF s0ns...............:eusa_dance:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIOePg4K0vI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIOePg4K0vI[/ame]

Last edited:
This is how England became a monarchy. Some people are born to lead and only the upper class can be trusted to make decisions on running the country. They can take care of the lesser people

We actually had a revolution to break away from that system

I've just watched the whole clip. I agree with Stossel. Voters should inform themselves... before they vote.

This is how England became a monarchy. Some people are born to lead and only the upper class can be trusted to make decisions on running the country. They can take care of the lesser people

Not it isn't.

And you clearly didn't watch the whole context of what he is saying.

Well.......lets call a spade a spade here.........Democrats would never win an election if not for extreme ignorance on the part of a huge majority of their base. The hordes of the stupids that mindlessly pull the lever for a Democrat.......its not even debatable. And really......gotta hand it to the liberal politician who exploits them.

Stossel makes a good point.........in order to vote, Ive always felt that the voter should be able to display some basic knowledge of civics. Millions of people who vote Dem at a general election would tell you they are fine with Sarah Palin being Obama's running mate. And their vote is worth the same as mine!!! WTF s0ns...............:eusa_dance:

Howard Stern Interviews Obama Supporters in Harlem - YouTube

Howard Stern Show? Really?

Your revolution against leftist royalty is duely noted.

You want to take away someone's constitutional rights based on how smart they are?
It's a far better excuse than terrorism or drugs, don't you think?

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I don't want people who are ignorant of politics or haven't become educated about the issues and the candidates to vote. Not sure why that is such a bad sentiment to have. :dunno:

And who exactly sets the standards to make that determination? Not sure why you can't see how dangerous that is.

I don't want people who are ignorant of politics or haven't become educated about the issues and the candidates to vote. Not sure why that is such a bad sentiment to have. :dunno:

And who exactly sets the standards to make that determination? Not sure why you can't see how dangerous that is.
I do, and you're right. It would be impossible to set any sort of objective standard. Where I do take issue is the push made by some people that everyone should go vote if for no other reason than to exercise their right of suffrage.

lol.........sucks to get publically pwned huh??!!!!:funnyface:

This guy...

h.jpg

lol.........sucks to get publically pwned huh??!!!!:funnyface:

:lol:

Let me see if I can give you a scenario to help explain how dangerous your stance is too.

There are 100 people in a room. Each one gets to choose to vote either blue, red.

Each one is given a piece of paper explaining what 'blue' and 'red' represents.

You read yours. You discover that if a majority vote 'blue' everybody in the room dies. If the majority vote 'red', you all get $1000 and leave.

You look around and discover a few other people reading... but most of them are chatting among themselves and have not read the paper.

Do you want those who haven't read the paper to vote?

Right On Stossel! I love his show. The dude usually is spot-on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back