Ironic Insanity

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
Bush to screen population for mental illness

President Bush plans to unveil next month a sweeping mental health initiative that recommends screening for every citizen and promotes the use of expensive antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs favored by supporters of the administration.

The New Freedom Initiative, according to a progress report, seeks to integrate mentally ill patients fully into the community by providing "services in the community, rather than institutions," the British Medical Journal reported.

Critics say the plan protects the profits of drug companies at the expense of the public.

more in the article

The President's New Freedom Initiative for People with Disabilities:
The 2004 Progress Report

PDF Version of New Freedom Initiative: The 2004 Progress Report

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/newfreedom/toc-2004.html

Table of Contents:

Executive Summary (HTML) (PDF)

Background (HTML) (PDF)

Chapter 1. Increasing Access Through Technology (HTML) (PDF)

Chapter 2. Expanding Educational Opportunities for Youth with Disabilities (HTML) (PDF)

Chapter 3. Integrating Americans with Disabilities into the Workplace (HTML) (PDF)

Chapter 4. Promoting Full Access to Community Life (HTML) (PDF)

Does he have the Constitutional authority to make such an initiative?

I think not.

I'm certainly going to vote for Bush based on his WOT record, but frankly, some of these domestic programs he is unveiling are ridiculous. I thought we elected a CONSERVATIVE in 2000.

Originally posted by gop_jeff

I think not.

I'm certainly going to vote for Bush based on his WOT record, but frankly, some of these domestic programs he is unveiling are ridiculous. I thought we elected a CONSERVATIVE in 2000.

Is this whats meant by 'PRO-BUSINESS'? funneling money to special interests?

I surely hope that the congress can shoot this down.

I think not.

You are starting to sound like ME now.

;) :D

I think not.

No kidding. This isn't the first time he's had me scratching my head.

First, I don't think the federal government has authority to deal with health issues.

Second, I am opposed to the government mandating who should be medicated. This stems from my beliefs that most of the ADD/aggressive behavior diagnoses out there are :bs1:.

And Newguy, just so you know, the Constitution Party isn't the only one who cares about the Constitution. I agree with DK - I sincerely hope this bill is killed in Congress.

First, I don't think the federal government has authority to deal with health issues.

Second, I am opposed to the government mandating who should be medicated. This stems from my beliefs that most of the ADD/aggressive behavior diagnoses out there are :bs1:.

And Newguy, just so you know, the Constitution Party isn't the only one who cares about the Constitution. I agree with DK - I sincerely hope this bill is killed in Congress.

I agree on all counts.

The important thing is that the POLITICIANS agree with Constitutionality.

That is my point.

Forum List

Back