Irma: South Florida prepares for hurricane arrival

Irma is a whopper and people who live in hurricane country should have prepared long before now. I-75 and I-95 are jammed up.

Many of the Caribbean islands were on the 'right' side of the hurricane, where the winds are at their most destructive.

Lot of aircraft arriving here from the Florida region and the hurricane path. Military craft flying in and out of here a lot the past couple of days, some staying, some shuttling off elsewhere to wait out the storm. Hope it veers off to the east of Florida rather than following the projected path I saw on the weather reports yesterday.
There is still no confirmation for sure of Irma location on Florida
There will be shelters to accommodate 120,000 people I believe? and the planes will not fly starting tonight ( USA time )? And all the people who have stayed there voluntarily at home will not be rescued said the Governor of Florida

Well, just saw the projected path of the hurricane, and it looks like it's gonna go straight up Florida, and then go into GA, heading towards Atlanta.

You know, for as big as this storm is, if it keeps following the projected path, there will be a storm surge on BOTH coasts of Florida.

Gonna be interesting to see how that pans out.

Well, just saw the projected path of the hurricane, and it looks like it's gonna go straight up Florida, and then go into GA, heading towards Atlanta.

You know, for as big as this storm is, if it keeps following the projected path, there will be a storm surge on BOTH coasts of Florida.

Gonna be interesting to see how that pans out.
It will be in category 4, it will pass in the middle, it is pulled between countries always staying in the water to make a turn on Florida. and it will certainly have a lack electricity and gasoline will be taken soon but the people who evacuate must also think of withdrawing money before the bank cards no longer work. I hope that everyone will leave now and will follow the given conscript it is their lives that is at stake.

I was saying this because there is a restriction of gasoline at some place to refuel and that's all until the next gas station
I will have a full tank to get from Georgia to Panama city and back to Georgia before I will need to fill up. Once I get back near Atlanta there should be plenty of gas stations. It's only about a 5 hr drive each way.
Rambunctious, Be careful and be safe. :)
Hurricane Irma will hit more Tampa tomorrow morning she will be a Categorie 5 , a monster it is just horrible like we see in disaster films :(

The hardest hit area will be the Everglades and the upper keys (Marathon for one, they have cameras taking video there and drunks that were not leaving last night). A little island called Chokoloskee will most likely feel the worst of it. if it is hitting landfall there right now the tidal surge will cover the tiny island, Goodland and Everglades City. There was mandatory evacuation orders given. High tide there was supposed to be about 4:30 am. The eye of hurricane Andrew stripped the Mangroves about two miles east of these areas but it hit Homestead the hardest. Irma is a much larger storm and the tides were not at a high point when Andrew hit landfall like it is this morning.

5:00am Hurricane Irma – Alert For West Coast Tidal Storm Surge…

Last edited:
Chokoloskee, is the place farthest south and closest to Cuba. next is Everglades City and just west to Everglades City is Goodland. The sheriff or deputy went through last night with bullhorns trying to make sure everyone was evacuated. Ten to twelve foot tidal surges expected there.

Hurricane Irma has made landfall as a Category 5 hurricane in Cuba and is making a beeline for southern Florida. Floridians need to finish preparations right now for Irma’s weekend landfall.

As of 5 a.m. EDT, Hurricane Irma was located near 22.5 N and 78.8 W, or about 45 miles east of Caibarien, Cuba, and 245 miles south-southeast of Miami. Irma’s top sustained winds are 155 mph, making it a top-of-the-scale Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Irma’s minimum central pressure remains at 930 mb, or 27.47 inches of mercury. It is now moving to the west-northwest at 12 mph.

Dangerous Hurricane Irma Targets Florida This Weekend | WeatherBug

The hardest hit area will be the Everglades and the upper keys (Marathon for one, they have cameras taking video there and drunks that were not leaving last night). A little island called Chokoloskee will most likely feel the worst of it. if it is hitting landfall there right now the tidal surge will cover the tiny island, Goodland and Everglades City. There was mandatory evacuation orders given. High tide there was supposed to be about 4:30 am. The eye of hurricane Andrew stripped the Mangroves about two miles east of these areas but it hit Homestead the hardest. Irma is a much larger storm and the tides were not at a high point when Andrew hit landfall like it is this morning.

Yes, some people have refused to leave, they are condemned with this hurricane and a father testified that he did not want to leave (Miami) he preferred to stay at home with his children in his apartment on the 11th floor , the winds will be even more powerful up there and the people will not have water and electricity for several days.
They must leave when there is still time

Yes, some people have refused to leave, they are condemned with this hurricane and a father testified that he did not want to leave (Miami) he preferred to stay at home with his children in his apartment on the 11th floor , the winds will be even more powerful up there and the people will not have water and electricity for several days.
They must leave when there is still time
If we were down there at this time we would have already have been gone. Even a small storm out in the gulf where we couldn't even feel the wind there on the island we watched three feet of water come onshore and hit the axles of our 4x4.

get

Chokoloskee, is the place farthest south and closest to Cuba. next is Everglades City and just west to Everglades City is Goodland. The sheriff or deputy went through last night with bullhorns trying to make sure everyone was evacuated. Ten to twelve foot tidal surges expected there.

Hurricane Irma has made landfall as a Category 5 hurricane in Cuba and is making a beeline for southern Florida. Floridians need to finish preparations right now for Irma’s weekend landfall.

As of 5 a.m. EDT, Hurricane Irma was located near 22.5 N and 78.8 W, or about 45 miles east of Caibarien, Cuba, and 245 miles south-southeast of Miami. Irma’s top sustained winds are 155 mph, making it a top-of-the-scale Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Irma’s minimum central pressure remains at 930 mb, or 27.47 inches of mercury. It is now moving to the west-northwest at 12 mph.

Thanks for the precision Rodishi, with the pressure of the water a tide of ten to twelve feet plus the pressure of the wind ... the destruction should be unimaginable and the passage of the eye of the hurricane, because the eye as such did not go on the other lands otherwise it would be less strong

Last edited:

Thanks for the precision Rodishi, with the pressure of the water a tide of ten to twelve feet plus the pressure of the wind ... the destruction should be unimaginable and the passage of the eye of the hurricane, because the eye as such did not go on the other lands otherwise it would be less strong
You are welcome. The conservative tree house updated their warning 24 minutes ago 5:00am Hurricane Irma – Alert For West Coast Tidal Storm Surge…. Residents along that area going north are saying in the comments that the ground is already saturated, ponds and lakes are full. It sounds like flooding is going to be a major problem too for much of South Florida and possibly even Northern Florida into Georgia and beyond depending on how long this monster storm holds its strength. The waters are staying very warm so not looking good at all. Marco Island is now under mandatory evacuation too. Coral Gables, Naples and its outer areas have a lot of houses in the flats surrounding it also. Those swamp developed area houses are about one or two miles inland and were built very low with little consideration for flooding. It will be a mess.

You are welcome. The conservative tree house updated their warning 24 minutes ago 5:00am Hurricane Irma – Alert For West Coast Tidal Storm Surge…. Residents along that area going north are saying in the comments that the ground is already saturated, ponds and lakes are full. It sounds like flooding is going to be a major problem too for much of South Florida and possibly even Northern Florida into Georgia and beyond depending on how long this monster storm holds its strength. The waters are staying very warm so not looking good at all. Marco Island is now under mandatory evacuation too. Coral Gables, Naples and its outer areas have a lot of houses in the flats surrounding it also. Those swamp developed area houses are about one or two miles inland and were built very low with little consideration for flooding. It will be a mess.

Thank again for the information and the link RodISHI.

Could people survive Something like that ? those peoples who did not wan't to leave their home do they have a chance of surviving ?
Hurricane Irma is forecast to take a more Northerly (directly along the coastline) path. Which predictably will bring a much stronger backside storm surge. Unfortunately, that inbound Gulf of Mexico water coincides with the natural inbound tide.

Monday September 11th: High Tide 04:31 am -then- Low Tide at 11:35am (link).

In the time between the Low Tide Sunday at 10:08 pm, and the High Tide Monday at 04:31 am, the strongest of the East bound (on shore) winds are expected.

We have seen hurricanes carve up barrier Islands, remove and build others, and swamp coastal communities with storm surge. We have never seen a recorded major hurricane track from South to North on, or near, the West coast of Florida.
Early on September 10, Donna made landfall near Marathon, Florida with winds of 130 mph (215 km/h), hours before another landfall south of Naples at the same intensity. Florida bore the brunt of Hurricane Donna. In the Florida Keys, coastal flooding severely damaged 75% of buildings, destroyed several subdivisions in Marathon. On the mainland, 5,200 houses were damaged, which does not include the 75% of homes damaged at Fort Myers Beach; 50% of buildings were also destroyed in the city of Everglades.

hurricane-irma-241.jpg

The west coast tides and the arrival of the Atlantic region’s most powerful hurricane are in alignment for a worst case scenario for flooding and storm surge. There is still time today to take shelter from that storm surge, and for those North of Boca Grande (North of Lake Okeechobee – 28° latitude) there’s still time to evacuate.

Last edited:
Bonjour, after Hurricane Harvey and the devastation of Harvey that hit American soil category 4 now Hurricane Irma will normally hit Sunday and it will be a category 5. I hope everyone will evacuate , the small French West Indies were heavily hit 2,700 people did not wanted to leave and the French helpers left today to see the damage and save and help the peoples , it is a desolation , a disaster

Live coverage of Hurricane Irma

Irma: South Florida prepares for hurricane arrival © AFP / Michele Eve

Endless tails at gas stations, supermarket out of stock: the people of Miami were rushing on Wednesday to make provisions for the powerful Hurricane Irma, which is expected to hit the coast on the weekend.
In the north of the city, policemen were on duty at a supermarket to prevent frustrated clients from coming to blows.
Many of them left with a cart filled with mineral water, bread and other necessities.
"I only bought water, ice cubes and a few dry products. We have a generator and we are getting ready a little," says Cecily Robinson, at the exit of a small supermarket, is quickly found short of bottled water.
"I survived Hurricane Andrew in Miami, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Wilma, and I have faith in God and I prepare well, but I'm not worried," says Robinson.
But the call of the town hall to make three days of food and water supplies quickly caused a shortage
"It's really hard this time, I have no water, I have nothing, no bread (...) people are crazy, it's really difficult," says Evelyn Olmedo.
At gasoline stations, some motorists waited several hours to refuel, sometimes unsuccessfully, while highway barriers were raised to smooth traffic inland.
The authorities have ordered the evacuation of residents from Wednesday evening in the Keys, the tourist archipelago of southern state that Irma should hit first, according to weather forecast. At least 25,000 people have already left the area, said Florida governor Rick Scott who expects further evacuations as Irma approaches.
"It is my first hurricane, I have friends who have been there for 20 to 30 years and they are worried so I am also, there is no doubt, tomorrow I leave, that's for sure, David Amendt, who caulked the doors and windows of his home in Key West with wooden plates and sheet metal, told AFP.
Emergency state

The category 5 hurricane, the highest in the classification of these phenomena, struck on Wednesday the French islands of St. Bartholomew and Franco-Dutch of St. Martin. Irma, described as "potentially catastrophic" by the US Center for Hurricanes (NHC), is now threatening Puerto Rico, Haiti and Florida with gusts of wind at 280 km / h.
It happens only two weeks after Harvey, who had hit Texas and Louisiana.
The mayor of Miami, Carlos Gimenez, has not yet ordered the evacuation of densely populated coastal areas, including the resort of South Beach, popular with tourists for its bars, restaurants and nightclubs.
Irma, who is not expected before Saturday "slowed down" his progress, he said, waiting for Thursday morning to have a "clearer picture" of what he is going to do.
However, the town hall has set up four reception centers in the city, with a capacity of 8,000 people. Sandbags have also been distributed in districts in flood-prone areas, while insurance companies have refused since Monday any new contract against floods and hurricanes.
In a downtown marina, the employees reinforced the moorings of the boats which could not be put in dry dock.
The state of emergency was also decreed throughout the country and a thousand soldiers of the National Guard were recalled. The remaining 6,000 must arrive before Friday morning.
Florida "is preparing to make sure families are safe," said Governor Scott,

Irma: le sud de la Floride se prépare à l'arrivée de l'ouragan

Wf
Bonjour, after Hurricane Harvey and the devastation of Harvey that hit American soil category 4 now Hurricane Irma will normally hit Sunday and it will be a category 5. I hope everyone will evacuate , the small French West Indies were heavily hit 2,700 people did not wanted to leave and the French helpers left today to see the damage and save and help the peoples , it is a desolation , a disaster

Endless tails at gas stations, supermarket out of stock: the people of Miami were rushing on Wednesday to make provisions for the powerful Hurricane Irma, which is expected to hit the coast on the weekend.
In the north of the city, policemen were on duty at a supermarket to prevent frustrated clients from coming to blows.
Many of them left with a cart filled with mineral water, bread and other necessities.
"I only bought water, ice cubes and a few dry products. We have a generator and we are getting ready a little," says Cecily Robinson, at the exit of a small supermarket, is quickly found short of bottled water.
"I survived Hurricane Andrew in Miami, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Wilma, and I have faith in God and I prepare well, but I'm not worried," says Robinson.
But the call of the town hall to make three days of food and water supplies quickly caused a shortage
"It's really hard this time, I have no water, I have nothing, no bread (...) people are crazy, it's really difficult," says Evelyn Olmedo.
At gasoline stations, some motorists waited several hours to refuel, sometimes unsuccessfully, while highway barriers were raised to smooth traffic inland.
The authorities have ordered the evacuation of residents from Wednesday evening in the Keys, the tourist archipelago of southern state that Irma should hit first, according to weather forecast. At least 25,000 people have already left the area, said Florida governor Rick Scott who expects further evacuations as Irma approaches.
"It is my first hurricane, I have friends who have been there for 20 to 30 years and they are worried so I am also, there is no doubt, tomorrow I leave, that's for sure, David Amendt, who caulked the doors and windows of his home in Key West with wooden plates and sheet metal, told AFP.
Emergency state

The category 5 hurricane, the highest in the classification of these phenomena, struck on Wednesday the French islands of St. Bartholomew and Franco-Dutch of St. Martin. Irma, described as "potentially catastrophic" by the US Center for Hurricanes (NHC), is now threatening Puerto Rico, Haiti and Florida with gusts of wind at 280 km / h.
The mayor of Miami, Carlos Gimenez, has not yet ordered the evacuation of densely populated coastal areas, including the resort of South Beach, popular with tourists for its bars, restaurants and nightclubs.
Irma, who is not expected before Saturday "slowed down" his progress, he said, waiting for Thursday morning to have a "clearer picture" of what he is going to do.
However, the town hall has set up four reception centers in the city, with a capacity of 8,000 people. Sandbags have also been distributed in districts in flood-prone areas, while insurance companies have refused since Monday any new contract against floods and hurricanes.
In a downtown marina, the employees reinforced the moorings of the boats which could not be put in dry dock.
The state of emergency was also decreed throughout the country and a thousand soldiers of the National Guard were recalled. The remaining 6,000 must arrive before Friday morning.

Well they're lucky, they voted for the party which things that if you have a problem, you should have got insurance to cover your ass in the first place, rather than relying on handouts. So, there'll be lots of handouts coming their way.

Had they voted for the party that wanted to help those in need, and they got Trump and the Republicans, they'd have pretended they didn't know there was a hurricane.

Leave President Trump alone ... it would be more the fault of the furious fanatics of Kim Jong-un and his nuclear tests

Emergency state

Wf

Emergency state

Well they're lucky, they voted for the party which things that if you have a problem, you should have got insurance to cover your ass in the first place, rather than relying on handouts. So, there'll be lots of handouts coming their way.

Had they voted for the party that wanted to help those in need, and they got Trump and the Republicans, they'd have pretended they didn't know there was a hurricane.

Leave President Trump alone ... it would be more the fault of the furious fanatics of Kim Jong-un and his nuclear tests

Yes, leave the poor baby alone. He didn't decide to run for president. He didn't decide to insult half the fucking country. It's not the poor baby's fault now is it?

Are you from Florida ? if you are ,you should get out of there .

Forum List

Back