Irked Educators Target No Child Left Behind

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NATO AIR, Nov 1, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    both parties dropped the ball on this mess, its a stupid program that has perfectly good districts "failing" and punishes poor districts so thoroughly they don't get an adequate chance to recover, now here come the lawsuits

2. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    This is something I need to do more research on before I can really form an opinion.

However I have a child in the 3rd grade, who all thru 2nd grade his teacher when questioned about his reading ability stated oh he's doing fine, right where he should be. Then he entered the third grade and took their reading assesment test and guess what, he' reading at the end of a 1st grade level. My question how does a child go from being where he should be at the end of 2nd grade to reading at the end of a 1st grade level at the start of 3rd grade? Now don't think that I leave it entirely up to the school to teach my child I have been working with him on his reading since he started kindergarten, and I noticed in 2nd grade some other kid's were reading chapter books which is when I started questioning his teacher, who replied with, he's right were he should be. Well no he's not, because if he does not pass this next reading test in March he will fail the 3rd grade. Are you ready? here's the kicker they know how hard he is struggling with reading there are also several other children I know of in the 3rd grade that are struggling, but they do not have any type of tutoring or special reading classes for anyone beyond 1st grade. So how can these kid's not be left behind? if they have no extra help of any kind, for them?

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i can fully understand the frustration you're experiencing. i have many friends who are entering their teaching careers this past year and this year, and they're shocked that the well-awarded, successful schools they teach at are "failing" under the No Child Left Behind Act.

It was poorly concieved and implemented, and lacks the full funding it is supposed to have. Even worse, it encourages and deepens the dependence of our education system on standardized tests, which force teachers to "teach the test" and give up many of the creative teaching most good and effective teachers once succeeded in reaching students with.

The kids are getting screwed because the politicians and teacher's unions (both those allied with and adversaries of) are unable to move beyond partisan bickering and intelligent, innovative improvement of a failed education system.

all we get is rhetoric and bullshit.