Irish leader attacks Vatican

Urbanguerrilla

Silver Member
Aug 27, 2010
The Irish Taoiseach (Primeminister) Enda Kenny has attacked the motivations and inaction of the Vatican wrt clercal sexual abuse in the Cloyne diocese.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfRZ1U16V6I&feature=related]‪Enda Kenny Cloyne Speech‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The Irish Taoiseach (Primeminister) Enda Kenny has attacked the motivations and inaction of the Vatican wrt clercal sexual abuse in the Cloyne diocese.

The Vatican has recalled its envoy to Ireland following Taoiseach Enda Kenny's trenchant criticism of the Holy See’s role in covering up cases of clerical child sex abuse.

In language never used by an Irish leader, Mr Kenny last week accused the Vatican of downplaying the rape and torture of children in order to uphold its own power and reputation.

This reflected the way people felt about this issue, he said. Mr Kenny added he was “astounded” by the number of clergy who had been in touch to say it was “about time” someone in his position spoke out.

Referring to his Dáil speech last Wednesday on the Cloyne report, he said: “I made a few remarks this week about children, which means a lot to me, I have to say.

“I just wanted people to understand that, when I say we live in a republic with laws and responsibilities and rights, I mean it.

Vatican recalls envoy to Ireland - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 25, 2011

Forum List

Back