Irish Champ

Jul 27, 2011
Whats THAT you say? Never heard of it? Irish cuisne!?!? :eusa_hand:

Well..... its actually pretty damn good! Smashed Potatos and green onions. Here is a recipe:

100295.jpg

2 pounds potatoes, peeled and halved
1 cup milk
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup butter
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions

1. Place potatoes into large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
  2. Drain well. Return to very low heat and allow the potatoes to dry out for a few minutes. (It helps if you place a clean dish towel over the potatoes to absorb any remaining moisture.)
  3. Meanwhile, heat the milk and green onions gently in a saucepan, until warm.
  4. Mash the potatoes, salt and butter together until smooth. Stir in the milk and green onion until evenly mixed. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve piping hot in bowls. Set out some extra butter for individuals to add to their servings.
Irish Champ Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
In recent years, Irish cuisine has been making inroads on the world culinary stage.

I must admit there are some VERY good Irish dishes. Its too bad there isnt very many places that serve them even where I live in the Chicago area.

Proper Champ is made with Scallions not green onions, buttermilk is also used and not ordinary milk.

Whats THAT you say? Never heard of it? Irish cuisne!?!? :eusa_hand:

Well..... its actually pretty damn good! Smashed Potatos and green onions. Here is a recipe:

100295.jpg

2 pounds potatoes, peeled and halved
1 cup milk
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup butter
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions

1. Place potatoes into large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
  2. Drain well. Return to very low heat and allow the potatoes to dry out for a few minutes. (It helps if you place a clean dish towel over the potatoes to absorb any remaining moisture.)
  3. Meanwhile, heat the milk and green onions gently in a saucepan, until warm.
  4. Mash the potatoes, salt and butter together until smooth. Stir in the milk and green onion until evenly mixed. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve piping hot in bowls. Set out some extra butter for individuals to add to their servings.
Irish Champ Recipe - Allrecipes.com

That's pretty funny! You make me laugh long time.

I'm all Irish and yes I eat spuds and cook with onions frequently but SERIOUSLY folks...Irish food is crap compared with almost every cuisine on earth. It is survival staples..period. It tastes better than Ramen or rice..maybe even plain pasta..

That is all.

Forum List

Back