Iraqis urge release of shoe thrower

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Protesters across Iraq Tuesday urged government authorities to free the TV correspondent who threw his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush.

Hundreds of students at Diyala University in Baquba carried banners demanding the release of Muntadhar al-Zaidi -- described by demonstrators as an "honorable Iraqi."

Smaller protests emerged in the Anbar province city of Falluja and in two Baghdad locations -- Baghdad University in the northern part of the city and western Baghdad's Ameriya district. In those events, students also took to the streets.

Al-Zaidi threw his shoes at Bush, while Bush and Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki were holding a Sunday news conference after the president's surprise visit to Baghdad. The journalist was dragged to the ground, hustled out of the room and arrested.

Shouting as he was dragged to the floor, the reporter called his shoe-throwing -- a traditional insult in Arab culture -- a "farewell kiss" to a "dog" who launched the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Dhirgham al-Zaidi, the shoe-thrower's brother, said the journalist hated the "material American occupation" and Iranian influence in Iraq.

TV networks across the world continue to air the shoe-throwing scene, which has touched a nerve in the Arab world, where there has been an outpouring of support for al-Zaidi -- a correspondent for the Egyptian-based Al-Baghdadia TV.

Iraqis urge government to free shoe-thrower - CNN.com

Last edited:
I would pin a medal on him.

He has more balls than the Democrats in Congress and the main stream media combined.

Hey Chris, the next time Bush appears in public you go throw something at him as hard as the sole of a shoe and let's see how tough you talk then! While they drag you off and charge you!

I promise, I'll come and visit and pin a medal on you!

I don't want to see any harm done to Bush, don't like the guy but this could have been more serious. Now do I think him getting a shoe thrown at him is hilarious? Hell yeah! I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this yesterday.

Hey Chris, the next time Bush appears in public you go throw something at him as hard as the sole of a shoe and let's see how tough you talk then! While they drag you off and charge you!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I saw Bush when he came here a few years ago. I was about 15 feet from his limo. He looks like Alfred E. Newman.

When Bush leaves office, I think he is going to be suprised how much people in America hate him.

A walk thru the ocean of his soul would scarcely get your feet wet.

You know, I kinda wish that this dude would have landed a shoe on Bush's face, but, now that it's over, it's over.

I do think that he should be set free though.

Hey.......remember when all those birds were attacking people? Maybe God will start throwing geese and bird crap on Bush.

I mean.....why should man have all the fun?

I would beat his ass for missing and make him take lessons in how to throw.

LOL From the video I think he was on target. Go watch them, if Bush had not moved, the might have scored a shiner! hahaha

Betchya that boy has tossed a few shoes in his day.

LOL From the video I think he was on target. Go watch them, if Bush had not moved, the might have scored a shiner! hahaha

Betchya that boy has tossed a few shoes in his day.

Interestingly enough, did anyone notice Bush's spokesperson, Dana Perino? She had a shiner this morning from the scuffle. Seems that after someone threw a shoe, someone else threw a microphone, and she took one in the right eye.

Figures......when that coward Bush is around, women get hurt and he skates free.

Interestingly enough, did anyone notice Bush's spokesperson, Dana Perino? She had a shiner this morning from the scuffle. Seems that after someone threw a shoe, someone else threw a microphone, and she took one in the right eye.

Figures......when that coward Bush is around, women get hurt and he skates free.

Now she will get.........the Medal of FREEDOM!

I would pin a medal on him.

He has more balls than the Democrats in Congress and the main stream media combined.

Comment of the Year

The only thing I would add is he also has more balls than Barack Obama.

When Saddam Hussein was in power, this would not have happened. In effect, Bush gave him the right to throw the shoe in the first place.

Bush gave him the reason to throw it, not the right.

Chris, read it again.......he said that BB (Before Bush), while Saddam was in power, the journalist would have been too terrified to do this.

AB (After Bush), totally different story, as he now feels confident enough to let fly.

Bush should be proud of the advances he's brought to Iraq, faulty showers that kill soldiers, shoddy security companies that kill locals, and now, people throwing shoes.

At least the last one doesn't kill people.

Forum List

Back