Iraqi's denouncing beheading of american

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
reuters article

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Most Baghdad residents on Wednesday condemned al Qaeda's beheading of a U.S. civilian in Iraq, but many said his death was just the latest atrocity in a cycle of violence that is driving them to despair.

A Web site video showed a masked man cutting off the head of Nick Berg, a 26-year-old civilian, and said al Qaeda's leader in Iraq had personally carried out the killing in revenge for abuses against Iraqi prisoners.

Berg went missing last month when dozens of foreigners were seized by guerrillas after Marines launched a crackdown in the city of Falluja. The Marine operation followed the killing and grisly mutilation of four U.S. security guards in the city.

"The Americans killed hundreds in Falluja in retaliation for the mutilation of the four Americans and now those people are killing an American in retaliation for the torture of prisoners," said Arkan Mohammad, a cleric at Baghdad University.

"Someone has to do something to stop the cycle of violence from going on and on."

Even in the Baghdad Sunni Muslim stronghold of Adhamiya, where there is fierce opposition to the occupation, many residents were appalled by the decapitation of Berg.

"We denounce this act. No-one can accept the killing of another human being in this horrible way," said Yassir Saleh, a 30-year-old barber. But he too pointed to a tide of violence that has swept the country since the fall of Saddam Hussein.

"Sometimes I really can't understand the logic of what is happening, all the violence that I could have never imagined would take place in my country," he said.

Many Iraqis say they oppose the U.S.-led occupation but also despise insurgents whose suicide attacks, mortar strikes and bomb blasts have killed far more Iraqis than Americans.

Issa al-Khalidi, a 65-year-old pensioner sitting in one of the oldest coffeehouses in Adhamiya, also condemned the killing but looked around nervously as he did.

"It's a brutal, inhuman act. As Muslims our religion prohibits us from committing such acts," he said.

What is this a disease or a conspiracy? Ive heard "cycle of violence" from 4 or 5 liberal sources today. I guess they had to think of what to say the day after. Those terrorists would have killed either Berg or another america in the same gruesome manner had the prison incident never occurred. They are terrorists. Their only purpose in life is to cause us terror and death. To think that by pulling out, as many idiot liberals have advocated today, is going to stop them is completely assinine. IF anything, pulling out will only encourage them further. IT will show them that we came into their land and they pusshed us out. They will then try to bring their way of life here. We will become Israel, living day to day not knowing if this will be the day that the bus blows up, or the mall blows up, or the school blows up. I don't want that to happen. But if the Far left nutbags that are leading the Democratic party have their way, it will happen.

I think you're missing the point of the article. Regular everyday iraqi citizens want to publicly denounce this heinous murder. That should be a somewhat heartening event and should be used to bolster our resolve in bringing peace, law, and order to that country. Lets use this to bring more courage to these people so they don't have to be afraid of the same terrorists.

But they are afraid. Even the guy that owns that coffe shop had to look over his shoulder to make sure no one was looking when he gave that statement. Terror is winning and our leaders are allowing it to by tieing our military's hands.

Its very good to hear that the iraqis are against this. Gives me a little more hope for them.

insein,I haven't heard any other liberals besides the Kucinichs talk about leaving, but pulling out would be a terrible idea. part of the reason al qaeda decided they could take on America was because they defeated the USSR in Afghanistan. What they didn't know was that we were supplying them with the weapons and support that defeated the russians, so to them, they defeated a super power all by themselves.
Pulling out of Iraq a second time would give al qaeda much more propaganda to use against us and, imo, it would be the biggest mistake Bush could make.

Originally posted by insein
But they are afraid. Even the guy that owns that coffe shop had to look over his shoulder to make sure no one was looking when he gave that statement. Terror is winning and our leaders are allowing it to by tieing our military's hands.

wouldn't you then blame the leaders? not the iraqis?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
wouldn't you then blame the leaders? not the iraqis?

I do. Bush and Rumsfield need to stop worrying about what congress thinks and take care of business. This prison thing has sidetracked us. There's an investigation ongoing. Several members of the military that were involved have been disciplined or removed from the military altogether. We will get to the bottom of this awful incident.

In the mean time, we need to stop dicking around and kill these fuckers so that we can set up Iraq as a soveriegn nation under its own rule.

My opinion is this:

Real Iraqi those that want peace in their lifetime the ones I know and love do denounce this act. However even they realize that many of their friends have been brought up to understand that violence like the brutal kind that dictator Saddam inflicted upon them all is what makes the world go around. They have been taught that violence gets them what they want. Most of Islam breeds their people this way.

While it is wonderful to hear about the grateful Iraqis denouncing this depravity they are the true few people out there that want peace.

Forum List

Back