Iraqi Tribunal Sentences Saddam to Death Merged With Breaking News

GunnyL said:
nobody forced him to commit murder. If I hand you a gun, that doesn't mean you have to shoot someone.

GunnyL said:
The analogy logical.

That defense works ok for the inital massacre, not so much when you continue to sell to and support that person after the 28th massacre...

GunnyL said:
Go back and look on the previous page. I didn't post nor follow the link; thus, my statement that someone else posted it.

See this is what I mean by a "damn the facts I want to win!" attitude.

Let me get this correct, you now say:
GunnyL said:
"I didn't post nor follow the link"

but earlier you said:
GunnyL said:
"I believe one poster already provided a link that states Saddam will be tried for ALL crimes prior to sentence being carried out anyway. Kinda' blows your theory.".

Blows my theory eh? How the hell would you know if you never bothered to follow the link?! :slap:

That defense works ok for the inital massacre, not so much when you continue to sell to and support that person after the 28th massacre...

28 massacres, huh? News to me. The rest of the world only knows of two. Saddam had ceased to receive ANY US support between the first and second.

See this is what I mean by a "damn the facts I want to win!" attitude.

Please do not confuse ambivalence with "wanting to win." I'm not trying to win anything.
Let me get this correct, you now say:

but earlier you said:

Blows my theory eh? How the hell would you know if you never bothered to follow the link?! :slap:

I just followed your usual MO and assumed.;)

28 massacres, huh? News to me.

It was just analogy V analogy, thats all.

Saddam had ceased to receive ANY US support between the first and second.

Care to try backing that up?

Just a word of caution, the famous Rummy - Saddam handshake took place about 4-5 months after he gassed the Kurds.

:bye1:

Just a word of caution, the famous Rummy - Saddam handshake took place about 4-5 months after he gassed the Kurds.

I have a better idea. Why don't YOU provide some evidence to support YOUR accusation?

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/press.htm

Ihave no need for a word of caution from you. I'm not the one making bullshit accusations.

http://hnn.us/articles/862.html

...The infamous gas attack took place in mid-March 1988 in the Kurdish town of Halabja, the crossroads of an ongoing battle waged between a joint Kurdish-Iranian force and the Iraqi army. Caught in the middle were innocent civilians, including women and children...

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

Text of pic:

Shaking Hands: Iraqi President Saddam Hussein greets Donald Rumsfeld, then special envoy of President Ronald Reagan, in Baghdad on December 20, 1983.

Maybe you are speaking of another handshake? One that happened after 1988? Or something other than the attack on the Kurds?

http://hnn.us/articles/862.html

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

Text of pic:

Maybe you are speaking of another handshake? One that happened after 1988? Or something other than the attack on the Kurds?

The US didn't want Iraq to lose and become a fundamentalist state as Iran had, not to mention the bad blood that already existed between Iran and the US.

France and Russia supplied Saddam with all his weapons. We supplied him with some dual-use (civialan/military) stuff. No weapons. Britain and Germany also got into the act. So to try and point a finger at the US is just bull. Pretty-much everyone wanted Iran to get its ass kicked.

I read somehwere, once, the CIA showed Chemical Ali's people how to refine mustard gas. Big whoop. A blood agent (cyanide-based) was used on the Kurds.

Regardless, none of the above equates to the US, or any US diplomat/politician being complicit in Saddam's use of chemical weapons. It's jsut another one of those fantasy things concocted by Bush-haters.

Dude, you just posted the same link I did in the post above yours.:duh3:

Nope, it was different. But the jist was the same. That 'handshake' predate the gassing of the Kurds by years, not after months as Redhots said.

They are and they aren't.

The one GunnyL posted looks like a short press release. Mine is the whole thing, its got a lot more meat to it.

By the summer of 1983 Iran had been reporting Iraqi use of using chemical weapons for some time. The Geneva protocol requires that the international community respond to chemical warfare, but a diplomatically isolated Iran received only a muted response to its complaints [Note 1]. It intensified its accusations in October 1983, however, and in November asked for a United Nations Security Council investigation.

The U.S., which followed developments in the Iran-Iraq war with extraordinary intensity, had intelligence confirming Iran's accusations, and describing Iraq's "almost daily" use of chemical weapons, concurrent with its policy review and decision to support Iraq in the war [Document 24]. The intelligence indicated that Iraq used chemical weapons against Iranian forces, and, according to a November 1983 memo, against "Kurdish insurgents" as well [Document 25].

Balls in your court.

They are and they aren't.

The one GunnyL posted looks like a short press release. Mine is the whole thing, its got a lot more meat to it.

Balls in your court.

The fact the US allegedly had knowledge of Saddam's use of chemical weapons indicts no one. Neither does that quote above substantiate that the US provided Saddam with ANY weapons, much less chemical ones. Nor does the link point a finger at any one politician.

Hussein's initial support in teh US came from none other than President Carter. The verysame President Carter who began the process of empowering Osama bin Laden and the muhajadeen. Pointing fingers at specific politicians who are just carrying out "business as usual" policies from the previous administration is bad form. The Precedent was set during a Democrat President's watch. Only revisionist history and perpetuation of myth says otherwise.

Ok I see the problem now, you just lack reading comprehension, and you didn't read the whole report. Though I suppose you could still be stubbornly dishonest.

***edited to add***

Regardless of which is true I know you're an old dog set in his ways so this'll just be pointless to continue... but hey who knows maybe some day i'll give it another shot.

Forum List

Back