Iraq. What Will Be The Exit Strategy

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I agree with this for the most part:

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/25822.htm

June 18, 2004 -- THE most critical decision Iraq's new government will make after June 30 will be on the status of Coalition forces. It will tell us whether we should stay on to help rebuild the country — or pack up our rucksacks and leave.

The transfer of power may prove, God willing, to be good news for Iraq, but it's already bad news for our troops and the War on Terror. To further their own political interests, Iraqi officials will demand a say in our military operations.

If their approach is practical and realistic, we can work together. But if every junior clerk in the Ministry of Graft has to sign off on our plans to apprehend terrorists and battle insurgents, we should begin withdrawing our forces as soon as we can get the first transport aircraft into Baghdad International.

Originally posted by Kathianne
I agree with this for the most part:

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/25822.htm

June 18, 2004 -- THE most critical decision Iraq's new government will make after June 30 will be on the status of Coalition forces. It will tell us whether we should stay on to help rebuild the country — or pack up our rucksacks and leave.

The transfer of power may prove, God willing, to be good news for Iraq, but it's already bad news for our troops and the War on Terror. To further their own political interests, Iraqi officials will demand a say in our military operations.

If their approach is practical and realistic, we can work together. But if every junior clerk in the Ministry of Graft has to sign off on our plans to apprehend terrorists and battle insurgents, we should begin withdrawing our forces as soon as we can get the first transport aircraft into Baghdad International.

If the part about us having to get them to sign off on every operation we do is correct, then I agree we need to get out. If that is the case however, I will be very disappointed. IF our objective was to destroy Saddam's regime and fight terrorism, leaving is not an option and to do so would be to admit defeat IMO.

We cannot afford to remain in the desert twiddling our thumbs while the ranks of terror swell. If we can't fight, we should leave.

Our enemies grasp a fundamental truth about this struggle that we have yet to recognize: If you're not attacking, you're losing. Defense is never enough. You're either on the offensive, or you're being defeated.

This fact was proven in Fallujah. When we had them on the run and an advantage, we let politics prevail and this extended the fighting and casualties beyond what was necessary to complete the objective. Damn it - if we are going to send our troops into harms way, then let them do what they are trained to do and let them achieve victory.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
If the part about us having to get them to sign off on every operation we do is correct, then I agree we need to get out. If that is the case however, I will be very disappointed. IF our objective was to destroy Saddam's regime and fight terrorism, leaving is not an option and to do so would be to admit defeat IMO.

This fact was proven in Fallujah. When we had them on the run and an advantage, we let politics prevail and this extended the fighting and casualties beyond what was necessary to complete the objective. Damn it - if we are going to send our troops into harms way, then let them do what they are trained to do and let them achieve victory.

I agree. Ultimately it will be their decision whether they wish to succeed or not.

Lets work on our exit strategies for Japan and Germany first. Lets bring our troops home from there first!

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Lets work on our exit strategies for Japan and Germany first. Lets bring our troops home from there first!

Ah, but we didn't give them a voice with our troops. Did you read the article?

It's time to begin constuction of at least one large permanent base where we can maintain our presence in the region for quick and massive deployment.

Originally posted by Kathianne
Ah, but we didn't give them a voice with our troops. Did you read the article?

Yeah, i guess im just tired of this talk of exit strategy. We will leave when we finish what we are there to do. how much strategy is needed to figure that out?

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Yeah, i guess im just tired of this talk of exit strategy. We will leave when we finish what we are there to do. how much strategy is needed to figure that out?

EXACTLY----an exit stragey lets the enemy know too much---It's leftist bullshit left over from Nam---how about we leave if and when WE DAMN WELL FEEL LIKE IT. Our troops need our support more than ever--they are trained to kick ass--let em kick!!!!

IMO,

There is no exit strategy, because we ain't leaving.

Iraq will be the base of operations for the foreseeable future. Bush is not going to do anything until after Novemeber. At that point he'll either have 4 years or 6 weeks to do some major renovations in the Middle East.

Go do some searches on what's been developing with the IAEA/UN and Iran in the past 72 hours. In a nutshell, Iran will be next. The hide and seek game they are playing with nukes right now is THE gravest threat to the security of this country. Iran is most likely a nuclear state right now.

Go do some searches on the GRU and Russia. Remember the potential exile deals in early March 03 for Saddam and the Russians cleaning up their mess before the fall of Bahgdad?

Go do some searches on the EU and converting oil prices to Euros instead of Dollars.

A fantastic web that includes Libya, Pakistan, Putin, Iraq and the potential proliferation of nukes in the hands of the Islamofascists, thanks to the mullahs in Iran.

Iraq was step 1.

Notice how Putin has finally come forward and declared to the world that Saddam had intentions of striking the US or it's interests as late as last year. This is ALL tied together. Sounds like a Tom Clancy novel, but it's not..............

The exit strategy is simple, try to get Iraq's security forces to take orders from the central govt., and then try to pull American troops out of the cities and rural areas, and move them into isolated bases out in the desert, leaving the country in the control of the central government-which continues to be friendly and allows the US to stay there that's what was done in Germany & Japan, what are the chances the Americans will be able to do this?

about 0-1%

Originally posted by TheReturn
The exit strategy is simple, try to get Iraq's security forces to take orders from the central govt., and then try to pull American troops out of the cities and rural areas, and move them into isolated bases out in the desert, leaving the country in the control of the central government-which continues to be friendly and allows the US to stay there that's what was done in Germany & Japan, what are the chances the Americans will be able to do this?

about 0-1%

If thats what we decide to do, who will stop us?

Originally posted by TheReturn

about 0-1%

Wrong answer, tell him what he's won Johnny!

Thought maybe this would be the thread to ask how the arab world feels about muslims killing muslims. I assume after June 30th this type of killing will increase. Does the Arab world condone Muslims killing Muslims because they want to be independent of a tyrant and chose a government of thier own choosing. If anyone who cares about the indepence of Iraq could get this question out in the media, it may have interesting results.

Originally posted by HGROKIT

Military force is not an end in itself--I'm not sure it was wrong to pull out of Fallujah given the reaction of the rest of the country to the fighting there. I'd still like to level the place--its been a safe haven for insurgents. If you could order an evacuation, screen everyone who leaves, then go in without the huge civilian casualties, that would be great. But we probably dont have enough troops for a tight seal, and the enemy is too fond of their human shields to let them all leave. I have an idea--biological warfare. That way we could kill them, then get credit for saving the rest with a cure. New problems, new solutions.

Forum List

Back