Iraq vs. Georgia

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
Can anyone make an argument that invading Iraq was ok but the Russian war against Georgia is wrong? Seeing Bush up there condemning Russia just made my eyes roll :cuckoo:

Should we probably accept Georgia into the NATO alliance and possibly send troops for 'support'? I would not be against such a thing. Would be be justified? Yes indeed... but the situation is not nearly the same as Iraq (and no, idiot, Iraq was not about oil no matter how much you keep chanting that bogus slogan)...

Not very difficult.

We took out a tyrant who routinely threatened his neighbors around him.

Russia is taking out a Democratic government protecting their own sovereign territory.

We went into Iraq to provide them with the right to govern themselves.

Russia is going in so they control Georgia.

The contrast is actually quite obvious.

lol You continue to outdo your own stupidity

Where's the oil we are taking out of Iraq? Where's it at? You would figure with all the oil we are supposedly stealing from the country of Iraq, that we took over because of their oil, we would have some tiny piece of evidence to support this..

We'll be waiting....

Your belief of liberal slogans shows your stupidity

Not very difficult.

We took out a tyrant who routinely threatened his neighbors around him.

Russia is taking out a Democratic government protecting their own sovereign territory.

We went into Iraq to provide them with the right to govern themselves.

Russia is going in so they control Georgia.

The contrast is actually quite obvious.

So we are just the good guys spreading happiness and they are evil spreading badness!

I get it now! I'll just keep telling myself, We are good, they are bad, we are good they are bad, we are good they are bad.............

Where's the oil we are taking out of Iraq? Where's it at? You would figure with all the oil we are supposedly stealing from the country of Iraq, that we took over because of their oil, we would have some tiny piece of evidence to support this..

We'll be waiting....

:lol:

yeah, we went in hoping saddam would have a big stack of oil barrels, just sitting there, ready for us to take back to the US.

did you maybe consider the fact that our govt wanted to have a friendly, stable ally in the region with big oil reserves who would also allow us to have bases between iran and the rest of the ME? youre looking at it in a very narrow way

We'll be waiting....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/world/middleeast/19iraq.html

Rivals Say Halliburton Dominates Iraq Oil Work

Papers Show Expanded Halliburton Iraq Role - New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/w... BP Total Shell Exxon Iraq&st=cse&oref=slogin

Ahhh... the NY times bashing Haliburton... who woulda thunk it :rolleyes:

Yet with those stories on Haliburton being contracted to help rebuild the Iraqi oil infrastructure... I still did not see where we are taking all this oil from Iraq.... you know... the basis behind the whole 'no blood for oil' argument

Should we probably accept Georgia into the NATO alliance and possibly send troops for 'support'? I would not be against such a thing. Would be be justified? Yes indeed... but the situation is not nearly the same as Iraq (and no, idiot, Iraq was not about oil no matter how much you keep chanting that bogus slogan)...

It sure did have a lot to do with securing the petrodollar. Obviously it wasn't about "stealing oil", so to speak, but we had a huge economic interest in changing the regime.

So we are just the good guys spreading happiness and they are evil spreading badness!

I get it now! I'll just keep telling myself, We are good, they are bad, we are good they are bad, we are good they are bad.............

I suppose you could just look at the surface and be obtuse if you want to. I'm not sure that really gets your understanding very far or helps shed light on the issues involved.

You have to go back from the events of the last week a good long while and look at the area (Russia, Georgia and the disputed breakaway territories of Georgia). You need to look at the policies of the Georgia and Russia toward those territories and what those territories represent to each country. You also need to look at the people in charge that includes a power hungry Putin that is subverting his own country's Constitution by remaining in power by deception. His policies toward his neighbors and Russia's actions in the last 4-5 years.

Putin, the evidence is fairly clear, has poisoned leaders in neighboring countries, murdered dissidents (remember the guy in the UK?), suppress dissent in in Russia, slapped controls on the press, rebuilt his military, fought a series of bloody running wars very quietly in his own country and now capped it off with military adventurism in Georgia. This is merely the most recent incident of a long pattern from Putin.

In Georgia in particular, ever since the civil war in Georgia, Russia has been attempting to undermine Georgia and reintegrate South Ossetia. They have issued Russian passports to the population and provided Russian social programs to them. The location of South Ossetia makes this a more grievous problem than it might otherwise be.

It would be like Ontario breaking away and getting support from the US. Then, when Canada decided that was a problem for them, the US overruns the entire country of Canada.

With that explanation, what about that sounds like Iraq to you? I think you are trying to compare apples and airplane tires.

i don't think anyone is in favor of russia invading georgia.

the question is why is it ok for georgia to invade south ossetia.

i don't think anyone is in favor of russia invading georgia.

the question is why is it ok for georgia to invade south ossetia.

Was it right for Union troops to invade Virginia in 1861?

The point is that South Ossetia is part of the country of Georgia. If there is no right for a country to preserve its union, then the invasion of the Confederate States of America, by the United States of America was an illegitimate war.

We'll be waiting....

Hyper-partisanship is your disease.

There are plenty of tyrants in the world doing much worse things than Saddam did. We aren't invading anywhere in Africa because they don't have resources we want to stabilize. There's no benefit of blowing up Sudan and establishing bases.

We are in Iraq because of oil. It's pretty simple. Too bad you're so obsessed with being a republican that you cannot understand the motivations of your president and his advisers.

Hyper-partisanship is your disease.

There are plenty of tyrants in the world doing much worse things than Saddam did. We aren't invading anywhere in Africa because they don't have resources we want to stabilize. There's no benefit of blowing up Sudan and establishing bases.

We are in Iraq because of oil. It's pretty simple. Too bad you're so obsessed with being a republican that you cannot understand the motivations of your president and his advisers.

Ok, so the meme is that Iraq and the Geogia deals are equivalent, right? I'm asking this of Obama supporters, the ones that seem to be posting such.

Was it right for Union troops to invade Virginia in 1861?

The point is that South Ossetia is part of the country of Georgia. If there is no right for a country to preserve its union, then the invasion of the Confederate States of America, by the United States of America was an illegitimate war.

that's the best ya got?

georgia was part of the soviet union....see where that gets ya?

the point is liberty for the people.

but i'm happy to discuss the civil war...it's a fairly weak analogy though...there's no slavery going on in georgia/ossetia.

the ossetian have their own language.

they've been there for hundreds and hundereds of years...

Where's the oil we are taking out of Iraq? Where's it at?

It's being sold on the world market just like every other drop of oil pumped from the ground everywhere else in the world.

You would figure with all the oil we are supposedly stealing from the country of Iraq, that we took over because of their oil, we would have some tiny piece of evidence to support this..

Stealing? Who said it's being stolen?

We'll be waiting....

Who are you talking to?

You seem to be the only person making that accusation, DD.

Unless I missed something, no one in this thread has said anything about stolen oil from Iraq.

Forum List

Back