Iraq seeks sharp reduction in U.S. military role

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
NBC News and MSNBC
updated 2:22 p.m. CT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008
BAGHDAD - The United States and Iraq will soon begin negotiating a power shift for U.S. forces, nearly five years after they invaded Iraq and installed a new government, Iraqi and U.S. officials told NBC News on Thursday.

Both countries are working on assembling negotiating teams to shape a new long-term bilateral strategic agreement redefining the fundamental role of U.S. troops, whose mission would shift from combat operations to logistics and support, the officials told NBC News’ Richard Engel.

President Bush did not address the report at an economic briefing for reporters Thursday afternoon in Washington, but Gen. David Petraeus, commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, confirmed that negotiations would begin soon. Petraeus would not provide details, but he said the U.S. role in Iraq would be changing.

more ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22825800/

About damned time the Iraqis decided to step up to the plate.

NBC News and MSNBC
updated 2:22 p.m. CT, Thurs., Jan. 24, 2008

About damned time the Iraqis decided to step up to the plate.

Wait? I thought we were trapped in a never ending civil war with no end ever in sight? That we had lost and were wasting our time, money and people?

Wait? I thought we were trapped in a never ending civil war with no end ever in sight? That we had lost and were wasting our time, money and people?

Caught in it or not, they can have it after we leave. While I would not have invaded to begin with, we did, and we are responsible for ensuring a viable, self-sustaining government is in place when we leave. We do not however need to be fighting their civil war for them, nor caught up in it.

We've laid the groundwork. If Iraqis cherish their newfound freedom, let THEM be willing to die for it.

The dems have been saying for 4 years we could never leave, that we had lost and there was no exit strategy. That Iraq would never take over security. Demanding a pull out. They wanted us out last year and before that the year before. It would seem the cry of defeat is simply not true.

What on earth are you talking about? John McCain just said we'd be there for 100 years.

And what exit strategy are you talking about? There isn't any exit strategy. It's the Iraqis telling us to get out of their country... that isn't an exit strategy. That's a country telling us it doesn't want to be occupied.

What on earth are you talking about? John McCain just said we'd be there for 100 years.

And what exit strategy are you talking about? There isn't any exit strategy. It's the Iraqis telling us to get out of their country... that isn't an exit strategy. That's a country telling us it doesn't want to be occupied.

They aren't telling anyone to get out. They're doing what they should be doing. Taking over their own security.

I suggest you reread the report. But you won't. you dems think any lie is acceptable to further your agenda. And we will be there for as long as Iraq allows us to maintain bases. This request does not ask us to leave at all. It simply scales back our involvement in combat operations.

But do go ahead and twist it anyway you think you can get away with and remind us how we "lost".

I suggest you reread the report. But you won't. you dems think any lie is acceptable to further your agenda. And we will be there for as long as Iraq allows us to maintain bases. This request does not ask us to leave at all. It simply scales back our involvement in combat operations.

But do go ahead and twist it anyway you think you can get away with and remind us how we "lost".

You're projecting again...

as for "losing", I'll reiterate... WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!

Tell ya what... what's the exit plan? Come on... I'll wait.

The exit plan refers to Combat troops nimrod. And that is being discussed now. But hey play like the tool you are in regards this issue, we all know your clueless.

An "Exit Plan" has to be defined first. Dollars to donuts says between right and left there is a BIG, bottomles chasm, just as the ultimate goal of our presence in Iraq.

Obviously, whatever final plan is put in place will not be carried out by this administration. Instead of trying to put negative spin on the circumstances regarding our leaving/the Iraqi gov't assuming a larger role for its own nation's security ...

I would be focussing on the fact that the current administration is not tying the hands of the next one -- the one you assume and pray will be a Dem one.

The current administration COULD royally screw the oncoming administration by signing the US up to some serious mutual defense treaties and/or other commitments it wouold be to the latter to carry out.

Where is Maineman and partners to spin this as nothing more than the attempt by the illegal Government of Iraq to up the civil war by getting the clueless Americans out of the way?

They aren't telling anyone to get out. They're doing what they should be doing. Taking over their own security.

The Iraqi people have wanted us to leave a long time ago. Poll after poll confirms that the Iraqi citizens wanted us to leave. If you want the links to such polls, just ask. It seems somewhat arrogant and patronizing to suggest that we could not have left sooner because the Iraqis would not take care of their own nation or that they need to step up to the plate. Whether they successfully defend their country or not (whether or not they “step up to the plate” as you say) they wanted us out and they still want us out.

“Thanks for your help, I guess, but I think that I’m okay now. Please leave me alone and I’ll take care of myself”. “I’m sorry, son, but you are just not mature enough. I know that you want to strike out on your own, but I know better what is best for you. I better continue to baby-sit you and take care of you. I know when I should leave you alone.”

Look. What is there to negotiate? All we need to do is leave.

I'd like to see some links to those polls.

http://usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=636778&postcount=26

From 2004:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...ll-cover_x.htm

Only a third of the Iraqi people now believe that the American-led occupation of their country is doing more good than harm, and a solid majority support an immediate military pullout even though they fear that could put them in greater danger, according to a new USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/27/iraqis-poll/

New Poll: 71 Percent Of Iraqis Want U.S. Forces To Withdraw Within A Year.

Here is a 2007 piece of information:

http://americannonsense.com/?p=1731

… the last major opinion poll of the entire country conducted by the BBC, dating from August 2007, found that Iraqis were unimpressed with the ‘surge’ and more fed up than ever before with the occupation…

According to 70% of Iraqis surveyed in August, basic security in the country as well as the conditions needed for political dialogue had both gotten worse during the ‘surge’. Only 21% supported (even weakly) the continued presence of coalition forces. 47% of Iraqis in August wanted coalition forces to leave immediately (in a February 2007 poll that figure had been 35%). Fully 80% of Iraqis said that coalition forces had done a bad or very bad job in carrying out their responsibilities. And 72% said the presence of US troops makes security worse for Iraqis.

Okay, we have to throw out the BBC nonsense, but I'll look at the others.

But polls are typically meaningless...

And those are no exception.

The State Dept. and "independent" surveyors? What does that mean? Who? How were they polled? Who did they poll?

Forum List

Back