Iraq Parliament OKs security pact

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- After months of tough negotiations and intense political wrangling, Iraqi lawmakers Thursday approved the U.S.-Iraqi security agreement, a pact that allows the presence of American troops in Iraq for three more years.

The vote -- which now needs unanimous ratification from the country's three-member presidency council -- comes after a compromise on a reform package that Sunni Arab politicians demanded in return for their backing of the agreement.

There were 198 lawmakers from the 275-member parliament present for the vote; 149 of them voted for the security pact, which is to replace a U.N. mandate that expires at the end of year.

The proposal, reached after months of negotiations between Iraqi and U.S. representatives, sets June 30, 2009, as the deadline for U.S. combat troops to withdraw from all Iraqi cities and towns. The date for all U.S. troops to leave Iraq would be December 31, 2011.

The agreement -- which stresses respect for Iraqi sovereignty -- "requests the temporary assistance" of U.S. forces, but severely restricts their role.

It says that all military operations are to be carried out with the agreement of Iraq and must be "fully coordinated" with Iraqis. A Joint Military Operations Coordination Committee would oversee military operations.

Iraq has the "primary right to exercise jurisdiction" over U.S. forces "for grave premeditated felonies," the agreement says. Suspects would be held by U.S. forces but must be available to Iraqi authorities for investigation or trial. Iraq also would have the "primary right to exercise jurisdiction" over U.S. contractors and their employees.

Also, it says, "Iraqi land, sea and air shouldn't be used as a launching or transit point for attacks against other countries."

Iraq parliament OKs pact on U.S. troops' future - CNN.com

The proposal, reached after months of negotiations between Iraqi and U.S. representatives, sets June 30, 2009, as the deadline for U.S. combat troops to withdraw from all Iraqi cities and towns. The date for all U.S. troops to leave Iraq would be December 31, 2011.

WTF? It was only a couple months ago that Bush voters complained that a withdrawl timetable was the equivalent of a date for surrender. Almost tantamount to treason.

I wonder why republicans haven't been complaining about this?

WTF? It was only a couple months ago that Bush voters complained that a withdrawl timetable was the equivalent of a date for surrender. Almost tantamount to treason.

Where's Sarah Palin blasting Bush and saying this is waving the white flag of surrender?

You two are about as stupid as a box of rocks.

But then I doubt either of you have a day of military service between ya.

I would explain it to you simpletons but I doubt you could gasp the basic concepts.

Yeah I think we'll essantially be out sooner, too.

Of course we'll probably want to keep some kind of force there, but they're going to be more a showforce than a force, I suspect.

They have moved on to complaining about Obama's cabinet appointments.

Forum List

Back