Iraq Liberation Act & Right Wing Revisionist History

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
I am one who backed going into Iraq to punish Saddam for violating terms of cessation of hostilities ...Gulf War.

nowhere did that idea back destroying Iraq's infrastructure and nation building. So I am no anti war leftie.

Nowhere did I hear of using the Iraq Liberation Act as a justification for invasion...until after the invasion. I hear it as a ccover for ignorant right wingers to say Clinton started tyhe road to invasion..and more nonsense.

(REVISED AS OF 10/05/98 -- Passed House, amended)
Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 - Declares that it should be the ...policy ...

of the United States to seek to remove the Saddam Hussein regime from power in Iraq and to replace it with a democratic government.

Authorizes the President, after notifying specified congressional committees, to provide to the Iraqi democratic opposition organizations:

(1) grant assistance for radio and television broadcasting to Iraq;

(2) Department of Defense (DOD) defense articles and services and military education and training (IMET); and

(3) humanitarian assistance, with emphasis on addressing the needs of individuals who have fled from areas under the control of the Hussein regime.

Prohibits assistance to any group or organization that is engaged in military cooperation with the Hussein regime.

Authorizes appropriations.

Directs the President to designate:

(1) one or more Iraqi democratic opposition organizations...

not much about authorizing invasion.

Urges the President to call upon the United Nations to establish an international criminal tribunal for the purpose of indicting, prosecuting, and imprisoning Saddam Hussein and other Iraqi officials who are responsible for crimes against humanity, genocide, and other criminal violations of international law.

Forum List

Back